Binaural SACD available
Jul 24, 2002 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Calanctus

500+ Head-Fier
SACD player owners, there's an SACD with binaurally recorded channels available: HECTOR BERLIOZ: Symphonie fantastique; Love Scene from Romeo et Juliette - Cincinnati Sym. Orch./Paavo Jarvi - Telarc SACD-60578.

Here's a quotation from Audiophile Audition:

Quote:

If you want to hear what it's like to sit in the balcony at Cincinnati's Music Hall during a performance, just run Channels 4 & 5 on this SACD into your headphone amp and put on your headphones. They were recorded binaurally using the Neumann dummy head mike system.

For the full review go here.

Jul 26, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 10
!
eek.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
so, does that mean you are getting it kelly?
tongue.gif

Done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately, I don't have my SACD player at the moment but the redbook layer is still enjoyable. Hopefully dparrish will have his player at next weekend's meet and I can try out the binaural tracks there.
Thanks very much for the info. If you hear of any others, of course, please post them.

Aug 1, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 10
So I tried to buy this used over the net. When it came in the mail, it was DSD...but no SACD, instead a mere CD. I've mailed it back and hope the guy gives me a refund (I wonder how many newbies like me have been taken by someone selling a CD as an SACD?).

Now I have it on order from Amazon.

Aug 17, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 10
This isn't a bad album so I don't regret the purchase but...

At the Dallas HeadFi meet, this didn't sound right at all to me. It certainly didn't sound like a good binaural recording.

It's possible I wasn't doing it right. From the description it sounded like it wanted me to use the rear left and rear right channels. I tried this and then finally switched to front left and front right. In either case, the standard 2 channel mix sounded better to me.

(By the way: associated equipment here was the Sugden Headmaster, Headroom Max, Sennheiser HD600 with Cardas cable, Sony R10 and Grado HP-2 on the Sony XA777ES player--so I don't think it was a hardware issue.)

Sep 2, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 10
Calanctus, I don't think that was a scam, same thing happened to me with a Yo-Yo Ma SACD I ordered. I think it's just an honest lack of knowledge about the format. (by the way I ordered from Amazon)

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Nebuchadnezzar, I think you're right. So few people seem to have even heard about SACD (or DVD-A for that matter). The promotion/marketing by the big companies is really pathetic!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back