Bill-P's Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro modding diary (including sibilance elimination)
Oct 30, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 26
The Beyer family are generally easy to disassembly. Pull off the pads, take off the retaining ring and driver assembly, stuff fluffy things into the cups. Put the driver back on, maybe stuff another thin layer of felt or whatever under the pads. Done.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 26
Gave these mods a try, I'm still working on front damping methods to suit my preference but.. overall very good thus far. As a side note for rear felt I used an extra set of stock driver front foams, black side facing the rear of the driver (liked it better) even though bass quantity took a hit. Thanks for the ideas Bill, I'm tuning the sound quite a bit from your original mods so far.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 26
And... here's the moment you've been waiting for: [COLOR=B22222]a real way to noticeably reduce the treble of the DT770[/COLOR] (and may also apply to many other headphones).

What you'll need:
Bounty Paper Towel. Specifically, this kind:
http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Paper-Towels-Prints-Count/dp/B00I4F1W78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428367432&sr=8-2&keywords=bounty+paper+towel

(note: it has to be exactly this kind. No other kind of napkin or tissue I have tried would work)

Felt: (any color is fine)
http://www.amazon.com/Darice-FLT-0499-Felties-Sticky-Primary/dp/B004N5L1ZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428367542&sr=8-2&keywords=felt

Shelf liner: (any color is fine)
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1428368182&sr=1-1&keywords=shelf+liner

All of those can be gotten for cheap, so I'd recommend group buy or something like that to reduce cost if you have to order from Amazon. Bounty is probably already in many American households.

Instructions:
Open your DT770 up and remove the retaining thing, then remove the foam piece covering the driver to reveal this papery surface:

Cut out some circular pads of the Bounty paper towels, then lay them over the driver like this: (my DT770 needed 3 layers, but yours may need less)

Then put one layer of felt on top:

And finally, put one layer of the shelf-liner I mentioned:

Then... close the headphone up and enjoy!

Measurement of frequency response before and after:

Notice how treble from 6KHz and above dropped almost 10dB. This made the DT770 much more linear to me. Bass also seems to have increased slightly.

Hi Bill, nice mod! I'm looking forward to trying this out myself, however I have a few questions that I would like to ask you.

1. Does your first mod with the dynamat bring out the midrange?

2. Does this frequency graph contain the results of both your 1st and 2nd mod?

3. Does the 2nd mod raise the midrange other than lower the treble?

4. Do you put the stock felt pads that came with the headphone on top of 5 new layers of materials? Or is the shelf liner exposed after everything is done?

Thanks!

May 5, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 26
Hi all

Thanks for the mod details. I've used this on a Beyer Custom Studio and enjoy the results. I've not used a shelf liner layer in my mods.

Answer to Q4 above - the stock grey/black foam disc is the last thing to put back, before you replace the plastic retaining ring (and then pads).

I used 3 layers of paper and 2mm felt. I noticed a lot less bass when using the paper layers against the driver - so switched my order to have the 2mm felt against the driver, followed by the paper layers and then the stock foam disc on top.

I hope this helps someone.
Cheers

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 26
hi all
i just started to fiddle around with my new dt770s, and just got into modding
i have yet to try the inside mass loading and damping of the driver and the cup (because of loosing warranty, i am holding that one off for now), but for now i started with front damping and angled leather pads (which will arrive to me in few days)
so far i am using 1 paper towel, which i had at home and shelf liner, stock pads atm, and i like the change, i tried putting also microfiber cloth (the ones for wiping your glasses), but i don't prefer that much muffling, so 1 paper and shelf is enough for me
maybe the microfiber cloth is too dense and messes up the sound, making it more muffled
but i have seen this on ebay today, how would that work for modding ??
lets say to use 4mm pad on front instead of paper, felt and shelf liner, and thinner pad inside
or thinner outside and thicker inside
has someone maybe tried something similar ??

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #21 of 26
I dunno, I wouldn't fear loading the rear.. these headphones are dirt cheap and tanks. They sound great for what they are, however as a closed back I only use mine for LAN events now. After loading rear I had to close up the bass ports halfway though...

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #22 of 26
well unfortunately, they are not that cheap here where i live, and finding one used, and under price, is quite a task
since i can't have open back headphones, these dt770s are now my best option which i can have
and loading the rear is a mod which i highly want to try, but my main problem is that i have the headphones for half a year now, and i still have 2 and a half year of warranty on them, and that is the reason i am on the edge for that mod
i highly doubt that something will go wrong with them in those 3 years, but you never know...

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #23 of 26
If you mod be sure you don't slide the felt ring completely down towards the speaker, leave a bit up top so it can be snug up on the rear of the cup. This is important.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #24 of 26
and the reason to do that is to control the bass, or to say, to reduce it, because the driver will have less air to work with ??
i am hearing that thing for the first time, and i didn't tried it on my set, since i still don't have damping mod installed

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #25 of 26
Well, I had to redo the bass ports as the bass became overpowering for me. I don't use my 770 but a couple times a year for LAN events but it needs a lot of tuning to make decent compared to other offerings out there.

May 23, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #26 of 26
thanks for the post
Loved the felt+shelf liner mod. It really reduced the trebble, my 770's are so much nicer to use now
Only instead of the paper towel i used 2 layers of Nonwoven cleaning wipes

later on i will do the dynamat mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back