Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jun 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #3,482 of 4,278
Iv´e found some nos tessla and tungsram ez81 pretty cheap. Would there be any benefits them instead of new JJ or EH?

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #3,484 of 4,278
I recently bought the balanced version originally built by pabbi. I replaced the two stereo potentiometers with a balanced stepped attenuator(which is working out great). The nfb pot wasn't originally installed. I would like to install it so it could better match my low z cans. I'm trying to decide what pots I could use. I would like to limit it to one pot but I can't find a 4 pole 250k pot. Could I use a balanced 250k stepped attenuator?

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3,485 of 4,278
Sure - you could even use a 4-gang switch with only a few positions, if you knew what value sounded good with your low Z cans.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #3,488 of 4,278
Ok, I am curious - all figured out - and, if so, how does it sound with the HE-5?

Sorry, with the forum change I can't post from work, which really cuts down when I can... 

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3,489 of 4,278
Right now I'm only able to get low to medium volume out of the HE-5s. When I crank the volume up, it distorts. The nfb pot suppose to solve that problem(from what I've read). I have to wait about 10 days before I receive my pot to really test it out. But the sound I'm getting at the lower volumes is outstanding. I did a mod to reduce the sibilance on them, but with this amp, I was able to undo the mod. The sound is clean, transparent, and lush. I'm really looking forward to installing the nfb pot. This amp reminds me of what they sounded like out of a WA22 I listened to at a meet recently. It was on that amp when I noticed that I didn't need to mod them to reduce the sibilance. So I'm please that this amp matches the HE-5s sonically.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #3,490 of 4,278
Pabbi 1 I have to say you did a great job on this amp. I think it's still the only balanced bijou that's out there. This amp is completely silent, even with my low impedance cans. That's a great feat for an OTL amp. One day I may recase it to show off the tubes outside the amp(the glow of 10 tubes at night with the top off is a wonderful sight), but I'm really happy with it. It makes my sextetts sound unlike any sextett I've ever listened to.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #3,491 of 4,278
hey guys just finished populating my bijou psu and had a quick question.  Do I need the 100k resistor in order to test the power supply? or can I just plug in my dmm and configure the voltage?    I don't have a 100k 1 watt resistor on hand so just wanted to see if I can get by without it. could I string some resistors together? does it have to be 100k?  if so its another order from mouser!

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #3,492 of 4,278

Quote:
hey guys just finished populating my bijou psu and had a quick question.  Do I need the 100k resistor in order to test the power supply? or can I just plug in my dmm and configure the voltage?    I don't have a 100k 1 watt resistor on hand so just wanted to see if I can get by without it. could I string some resistors together? does it have to be 100k?  if so its another order from mouser!

You could string together 4 25k 1/4 watt  resistors in series which would be much easier to find in a parts box.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #3,494 of 4,278
I heard it with a balanced Bijou, which had plenty of power for the HE-5, Moodyrn has the unit now, and I know momomo was using it with his HE-5. No idea about SE, unfortunately.

Oh, and it sounded really good BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back