biggest sell out?
Jun 23, 2002 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

carlo

Founder of 5 in heavy rotation
after a conversation with zanth on #irc i figured this would be a fun topic.

my personal criteria is a once brilliant artist/group churning out unimaginative or mass market geared crap.

i chose david bowie, who i only liked during his deram years but while i didn't dig his ziggy stardust madness i still respected it. now all i think is he should either put away the drum machine or just turn into an executive producer.

please feel free to add more and your reasons why
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 70
just found this thread and thought it sounded fun. anyway my pick is blink182. and although everyone thinks they are this pop wannabe punk band i really enjoy their first two cds (cheshire cat and dude ranch, and their demo, buddha) i think the lyrics are awesome (although a lot of them are about girls) and the music just rocks. but they saw the money in pop music and left all that great music behind.

good thread surprised it never took off

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 70
Aerosmith...

Got%20Milk%20Ad%20-%20S%20Tyler.jpg

perry.JPG

...need I say more

man, on top of selling out, they really suck nowadays...

EDIT: In fact, they suck so much these days that it is repulsive.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Aerosmith...

great call

Jul 9, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 70
I wasn't ever a big Aerosmith fan, but at least they used to be a real band. Can't really say that any more, not after Just Push Play.

I'd say the Chili Peppers, but I don't know if mellowing out really counts as selling out. But they've definitely become more poppy. Bastards.

kerelybonto

Jul 9, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 70
I wish I'd saved the full page entertainment magazine advertisement/photo of David Lee Roth which ran promoting his extremely brief Las Vegas show after he'd first split with Van Halen.

His hair was cut short and he was wearing a green, plaid, three piece suit....looked like a leprechan .

I can't imagine what the act was like.

Jul 9, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 70
lol, well, all they did was give two riffs to some lame-ass rappers. I heard the song and believe me when I say it's pretty terrible. I agree with the nomination tho!

Jul 9, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 70
I agree with Aerosmith and metallica. they used to make good original music, now they are a bunch of greedy ass clowns. I can't even listen to the new Aerosmith stuff because it is such utter crap.

I'm suprised that nobody mentioned limp Bizcut. Fred Durst is a pretty big sellout.

Jul 9, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #14 of 70
Post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd. Nothing but a money-making machine.

I disagree with Bowie being a sellout. The guy does whatever he wants, regardless of record sales or public opinion. Making an album like 1.Outside took balls. And drum machines kick ass!
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 70
aerosmith is a big one (pun intended - man do they suck now, and they produced that last album THEMSELVES!)

metallica - never will i forgive what soul-less swine they are now. everything that was good that they did in the past has now been wiped away. they are like the priest who for twenty years was the pillar of an entire community.. until they find out that he rapes kids. everything he did that was once great, is now ****.

rage against the machine is definitely a complete sellout. boy does their new stuff lick balls. i remember the days when they wouldn't even do interviews, now they're on mtv every second.. or they were for a week.
rolleyes.gif

beck - nobody probably knows this, but in his pre-loser days he had a b-side called "mtv makes me wanna smoke crack". now, if you notice, he's on mtv all the time accepting awards and acting like the moron he is. sell out supreme.

korn - boy did i love their old stuff when it first came out, practically grew up on it. now if i go to see them, i have to banter with eight year olds to find my seat

weezer - i didn't even justify their new garbage by buying it. a once awesome indie band that i have been listening to since i was in the sixth grade turns to total crap.

robert plant - what on earth were you thinking when you sold kashmir to puff daddy?

mariah carey - i don't feel very heated about this one, but she used to have some pretty amazing vocalist songs.. you know, like a song where someone sings and you can hear it over the *bump*bump*bump*

david bowie - why won't you play your old stuff live? i don't think your new stuff is bad, but we want to hear the old **** you person!

as always, great thread carlo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back