Biggest head scratcher
Apr 4, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #256 of 294
You are one odd duck. You don't seem to have much self awareness sometimes, and even less understanding of people around you.

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #258 of 294
4'33" is a joke right?
No, the opposite.
If it is music @gregorio write it down on paper so others can reproduce it.
It’s published, the composer wrote it down on paper. So others can and do reproduce it.
You are one odd duck.
I’m an “odd duck”? You spend years fighting against falsehoods and fallacious arguments perpetrated by the audiophile world and then you do exactly the same in this thread and others are “odd ducks”?

G

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #259 of 294
I am expressing informed opinions and I’m explaining my criteria for judging. You have no right to call that a lie. You appear to have problems with understanding points of view different than your own. If you listened and tried to understand, you wouldn’t be so odd.

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #260 of 294
I am expressing informed opinions
No you’re not, you’re simply making up false assertions. 4’33” is: A joke, a cheat, a fraud, nothing, not a composition, a sonata, written for critics, I don’t teach creativity, etc. So this quote is just another lie!
and I’m explaining my criteria for judging.
You have no right to call that a lie.
You are entitled to your “criteria for judging”, you’re entitled to therefore not like 4’33” but you are NOT entitled to make-up lies about the piece just because you don’t like it!
You appear to have problems with understanding points of view different than your own.
Another lie! I can perfectly well understand someone’s opinion/preference for not liking 4’33”. Making up falsehoods/lies about the piece though is not a “point of view” though, it’s just lying. 4’33” is obviously is not “nothing”, it is “organised”, it was not intended as “a joke”, etc.
If you listened and tried to understand, you wouldn’t be so odd.
I have listened and tried to understand why you’re making up falsehoods about both the piece and me, and then repeating them endlessly. What I don’t understand is why you’re being so hypocritical, because you’re highly intolerant of others who do that!

G

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #261 of 294
there's something wrong with you

Apr 7, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #262 of 294
there's something wrong with you
You’re the one making up lies/falsehoods and being an abject hypocrite, and there’s something wrong with me? Try looking in the mirror!

G

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #264 of 294
Are there to be no clear definitions on anything.
A blank score sheet.
It’s not blank and there are definitions on what the performer/s should do. For starters the piece is in 3 movements, with timings for each movement.

G

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #266 of 294
It's elitist highbrow nonsense.
Is everything you don’t understand or appreciate elitist highbrow nonsense? What about those people who are not highbrow elitists who like/appreciate the piece, are they just deluding themselves because you’ve decided they are highbrow elitists? Who are you to dictate this?

G

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #267 of 294
Is everything you don’t understand or appreciate elitist highbrow nonsense? What about those people who are not highbrow elitists who like/appreciate the piece, are they just deluding themselves because you’ve decided they are highbrow elitists? Who are you to dictate this?

G

I understand what John Cage's idea was - for people to reflect on the everyday noise around them, which they normally automatically dismiss, and accept it. It's an interesting thought provoking whimsy but shouldn't be elevated to anything more than that. Imo.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #268 of 294
It's an interesting thought provoking whimsy but shouldn't be elevated to anything more than that. Imo.
Regardless of your opinion, it’s far too late for that. It has been elevated to more than that because it’s the epitome of a musical movement/“school” (Aleatoric Music) and has been highly influential for numerous other composers and other genres. Your personal opinion cannot change the historical facts!

G

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #269 of 294
Regardless of your opinion, it’s far too late for that. It has been elevated to more than that because it’s the epitome of a musical movement/“school” (Aleatoric Music) and has been highly influential for numerous other composers and other genres. Your personal opinion cannot change the historical facts!

G

Maybe not. But once a little boy cried 'He's got no clothes on', and the world woke up.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #270 of 294
But once a little boy cried 'He's got no clothes on', and the world woke up.
You think you’re a little boy and if you cry then magically the history of music will change?

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back