[BIG STAR] The Other Box Set in Sept...
Sep 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been eagerly awaiting my Beatles Mono Box Set, which should arrive next week. But I am also psyched about another Set coming out this month from another one of my favorite bands, Big Star.

Please do not turn this into a Big Star vs. Beatles- not the intent or worth anyone's time. But surely Big Star warrants a conversation. Their 2 main albums currently in print (both a combination of 2) Third/ Sister Lovers and #1 Record/ Radio City has given me years or listening pleasure. Many of their songs touch me like no others.

Anyone else fans? What have you heard about this new Box? Its expensive for 4 discs ($54 at Amazon) so it holds that in common with the Beatles set.
It has a Sept 15th release date.

[size=large]BIG STAR[/size] [size=small]Keep an Eye on the Sky[/size]

610ennUXlxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 43
Jerome, I have been eyeing those vinyl releases. What are your thoughts on the quality, I had heard mixed reviews. It was also weird to see them now in their original single album configurations. I bought my Big Star albums in my teens but even then they had been compiled and honestly at this point that is how I see them as albums- in that compiled context.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 43
Can't tell you how they sound because they just arrived yesterday and I haven't had a chance to listen to them.

I will say that I have generally been very happy with the quality of Classic Records' mastering. The quality of the vinyl pressings has, sorry to say, been somewhat mixed. Some are exceptional, and others are damned noisy and filled with pops and clicks. I just had to send two Everest 35mm Magnetic Film recording pressings on 200g vinyl back to Acoustic Sounds a few days ago because of too many defects. It's hard to justify the cost of these things at $32 per title and then have to suffer through loud pops. I keep buying them because when the pressings are good there is nothing else quite like them.

The Big Star albums are pressed on what Classic refers to as 200g "Clarity Vinyl." It is clear vinyl that they claim sounds better. Personally I think it is marketing BS. I bought a couple of the Clarity Vinyl series titles on 45 RPM LPs and I didn't think they were all that. Sure they sounded great, but no better than any other well-mastered album pressed on quality vinyl.

--Jerome

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 43
I am excited about the Big Star box set too. It's going to be a good September.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 43
Whenever I hear the name Big Star, two things come to mind: 1) Radio City, which just might be a perfect album, right down to the William Eggleston cover image, and 2) that Replacements' song about leader/songwriter Alex Chilton, which nails his gifts to a billboard. I think I hear a box-set calling my name.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 43
Third/Sister Lovers is one of my all time favorite albums. I also like Chris Bell's - I am the Cosmos.

This box looks interesting!

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Third/Sister Lovers is one of my all time favorite albums. I also like Chris Bell's - I am the Cosmos.

This box looks interesting!

I am a big fan of that album as well.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like Chris Bell's - I am the Cosmos.

2x…a fine, fine album.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 43
Did anyone bite the bullet on this one? Listening to the samples on Amazon, I am very interested. SQ seems good even over the stream and there is a lot of music that I have never heard before- which on first listen I really like. Thinking I may wait til the price drops over the next month or pick it up used.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I hear the name Big Star, two things come to mind: 1) Radio City, which just might be a perfect album, right down to the William Eggleston cover image, and 2) that Replacements' song about leader/songwriter Alex Chilton, which nails his gifts to a billboard. I think I hear a box-set calling my name.

i have to say... i think all three Big Star albums are fantastic, and each has its own distinct personality.

as for the William Eggleston photo... that is the wallpaper image on my BlackBerry right now.
k701smile.gif

edit: but i don't think i'll be dropping for the box set. at least not now.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 43
Its pricey, for sure... and with the Beatles remasters I have dropped some serious cash on music this month (even for me). This is a must have for me though, just a question of when. I do see the price on this dropping drastically over the next couple months. I have no issue buying something like this used as 99% of my digital listening is done on my computer so as long as the discs can rip to my mac I am happy.

Vinyl is another story and I generally try to always buy new.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 43
The box set arrived today! I am still going through the Beatles remasters, this one has to wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back