Big difference between Stax SRM-252s and 323s?
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lovan

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm thinking of buying myself a pair of Stax SR-009. I think I will try to build a KGSS or BHSE but in the meantime I want an amplifier. 
I'm thinking of buying a 252 because it's small and portable.
I'm curious if this amplifier is a bad match for the 009s? Has anybody compared the 252 and the 323?

Thank you for your input!

Niclas

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Stax SRM-252 is similar in design to [I've heard] great SRM-323 but SRM-252 is full of mistakes (miscalculations), tradeoffs and savings, and when we talk about "the sound", SRM-252A is just a piece of crap(!!!) [sorry, but it's true as the sky is blue, comparing even to first solid and simple SRM-1 built in 1979], and I suppose SRM-252S is not a much better.

At http://www.head-fi.org/t/546221/srm252mod is a discussion what can be done to fix the sound of SRM-252A and maybe made our own SRM-252U (Ultimate) which will be as good as SRM-323S without having such big enclosure and without producing so much heat (small box), and of course still at an affordable price. Almost impossible, but worth trying.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Borizm, you cal the srm 252s, crap. And you have not heard it's sound....
I have bought the 252s and Sr l500, and this setup plays so nice.
What i now like to know, is how much soundquality can i gain, in uppgrading to a more expensive driver ?
And is the sound of the tubedrivers, much better than solidstate ?
If there is one out there who has compeard the 252s, with an other driver, please tell us the difference in sound ?
Happy new Staxovner.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 6
I have had my SRM-717/SR-007mk1 from 2006 to 2017. When I started to venture in the Stax sound I bought a few systems that I had at the same time. So, at a moment I had the SR-007 and SR-404 for the headphones and the SRM-717, SR-006t, SRM-212 and SRM-Xh for the amps.

I tried both the SR-007 and the SR-404 on every amp and, FOR MY EARS, there was almost no differences between the four amps... The differences were more between the SR-007 and the SR-404. But each headphones sounded pretty much the same for me on each amp...

In the end, because money was not a problem, I kept the SRM-717 but I could have lived happily with the SRM-212...

There are really too much superlatives when describing differences between amps on audio forums... The famous : "night and day", "heard things I have never heard before"...

Anyway, to come back to the subject, chances are there will be no big differences between the SRM-252s and 323s (if any audible differences...).

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 6
  Hi

I'm thinking of buying myself a pair of Stax SR-009. I think I will try to build a KGSS or BHSE but in the meantime I want an amplifier. 
I'm thinking of buying a 252 because it's small and portable.
I'm curious if this amplifier is a bad match for the 009s? Has anybody compared the 252 and the 323?

Thank you for your input!

Niclas

The SR-009 is demanding, how much time will you take to build or buy an amplifier that matches the SR-009? You may be better with a 5100 system (353X + L500) or with a used 323s and a lambda (much easier to drive than the omegas) while you build an amplifier and then sell it and buy the SR-009.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you Petyot.
Nice to hear your review on the drivers.  I live in a small city in the middle of Norway, a long way from any shop selling Stax.
So listen before buying, is often difficult. My Stax gear is brand new, so i have only used it for a few hours.
Since most audio gear need some use, before it gives its best sound, i need some more break-in time, before i make up my mind on any upgrade.
Yesterday i got my new Gustard x20pro DAC, and that made a big step up in sound, from the dac in my Cambridge audio bluray, and my Henry Audio USB DAC.
I was thinking on buying a tube DAC, for my Stax, but now, after listening to the Gustard, i am happy i went with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back