Big difference between a Pana ct570 and a set-top player as a source?
Jul 27, 2002 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

erikiksaz

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of upgrading my source, as my current one is the Panasonic ct570. I just recently bought Etys, and i'm not sure if this source is doing it justice. Would i notice a noticable improvement if i went from this cd player to something like a Denon 370 or something better like a NAD?

I will be using this with an amp of course...

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes.

Upgrading your source sounds like a good choice. The Denon is a good budget CDP, but I think you can get a sony DVD, that handles CDs very well, for a very good price these days due to its being discontinued...i can't remember the model number, but i'm sure someone else here knows. NAD CDPs are also thought to be very good.

Is your only amp the CHA47? If so, you might also want to consider getting a better amp. You have a good portable amp, but since you're getting a regular CDP, portability is not an issue, and you would benefit greatly from a better amp. Without one, the improvement from an expensive CDP will not be as noticable.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 8
You'd probably get better sound with something like a Sony or Denon CDP plus a Meta42 (which BTW can still be portable) or Headroom Little, versus using only a CDP costing as much as the latter options.

Jul 27, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 8
You will be amazed at how much difference a source makes. If you can I would recommend taking your headphones and amp if it is portable and listen before you buy. We all hear things a little differently. Sources also process Redbook CDs, HDCD, and SACD differently so if your collection includes them by all means audition the equipment using them. One more thing when listening, many of the better players have enhancement circuitry that may improve the sound. If you are listening make sure you know about it and that it is set up correctly.

Jul 28, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 8
i had a panasonic pcdp, now using a sony 333es.. my bro says there isnt a difference in sound, but i reckon the sound is much smoother... im only using sony 7506, phillips 890 and grado sr60s without an amp, plugged straight into the headphone out

so having an amp would make it sound better even though the headphones dont really require an amp?

Jul 28, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 8
In my experience, the biggest difference in the sound of the lineout of a pcdp vs. a modest home unit is output level. Home units output much higher.

It's really important in comparing sound quality to atleast crudly level match. You may be suprised in how much you thought one component 'blew the other away'.

Jul 28, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, i will plan to upgrade to a Meta42 as well, but i don't know which i should upgrade first, the amp, or the source. Any ideas guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back