Big band
Jun 11, 2004 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sultan165

100+ Head-Fier
I really like the sound of big band jazz, but don't what artists to look for. The only cds I have right now are maynard ferguson, stan kenton, buddy rich, mcoy tyner and a collection of some of the older groups (duke ellington, benny goodman, count basie, etc.). If I had to be particular, I am more interested in something energetic with a strong horn section, rather than something laid back. Anyways, just looking for some recommendations.

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 18
You don't mention if you have SACD or not, but if you do, there is an outstanding Duke/Count collaboration called, unlikely enough, Duke Ellington Meets Count Basie. This is sometimes subtitled, First Time.

Really excellent big band jazz with horns to die for. I only have the SACD (SACD only, not hybrid), but there should be a redbook version, too. I see you have all the other usual suspects, except perhaps Louis Prima, so that's all I can recommend.

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 18
Gordon Goodwin!!!!!!!

But seriously, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band is probably the best out there right now imo, his cd Swingin' for the Fences is one of my all time favorite Jazz cd of all time, this band is filled with amazing players such as Wayne Bergeron and Eric Marienthal that will blow you away, if you like big band Gordon Goodwin is a must. Another recommendation would be "Hot House" by Arturo Sandoval's, the best trumpet player alive period.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry1130
Gordon Goodwin!!!!!!!

I'll second that. Jerry, you seem to have great taste in music.
I'll add the Tonight Show Band's recordings to the list. Maybe the greatest band ever put together.

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
Jerry, you seem to have great taste in music.

Thanks, my prefrence is largely based on my years playing trumpet in jazz band, I have seen may great deal of emsembles perform in big festivals like Reno Jazz, but nothing compares to seen Gordon and his Guys live, it was truly an amazing experience.

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 18
Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd
- Herd at Montreux
- The Essence of Woody Herman
- 1972 Live at the Newport Jazz Festival

Buddy Rich
- Best Band I Ever Had
- Buddy Rich/Maynard Ferguson: West Side Story and Others

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra
- Suite For Pops
- Live at the Vanguard

Matrix
- Harvest (This one is really hard to find)

Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Orchestra
- Kogun (So is this one)

Don Ellis
- Electric Bath
- Connection
- Shock Treatment
- Tears of Joy
- Live at Monterey
- Live in 3 2/3 /4 Time

This will help get you started.

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd
- Herd at Montreux
- The Essence of Woody Herman
- 1972 Live at the Newport Jazz Festival

Buddy Rich
- Best Band I Ever Had
- Buddy Rich/Maynard Ferguson: West Side Story and Others

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra
- Suite For Pops
- Live at the Vanguard

JMT, what is the quality of these recordings? I have/had some of these on vinyl and have bought some cds of Woody Herman and I was sorely disappointed with the quality. They probably were just cheap to begin with, but I'd like your thoughts on these, please.

Jerry, so you played in Jazz Band? So did I. Now I'm a band director. Go figure!

Jun 13, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 18
Thanks for the suggestions.
Looks like I have something to do for the weekend.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 18
How could you possible leave off DON ELLIS AT FILLMORE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Don Ellis
- Electric Bath
- Connection
- Shock Treatment
- Tears of Joy
- Live at Monterey
- Live in 3 2/3 /4 Time...

Jun 22, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
How could you possible leave off DON ELLIS AT FILLMORE!

Ummm, cause I don't have it....

.........yet.

Jul 22, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 18
I also vote for Gordon Goodwin.... I saw a performance he did at a small auditorium in my town and it was wonderful. Great musician.

Jul 22, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 18
One of the great things about living in LA is the opportunty to hear a lot of incredible big bands on a pretty regular basis. Gordon Goodwin, Bob Florence, Frank Capp Juggernaut, Bill Berry, Tom Kubis, Matt Catingub... the list goes on and on. Some of these bands are basically rehearsal bands and a lot of the players play in more than one band, if not many of the bands. LA bands of this caliber usually have A list studio musicians playing.

There are some seriously talented trumpet players that play in these bands. If you ever get a chance to hear Wayne Bergeron play lead for any band do not under any circumstances let the opportunity pass you by. This guy is a MONSTER! I've seen him live many times around town and even had the chance to chat briefly with him and let me tell you, he is as personable as he is talented and he may be the top player in LA right now. As is typical of a local big band gig the guys usually head straight to the bar during the break and I have yet to meet one of them that didn't want to chat about the band, the music biz, etc.

Back to the topic at hand, any of the bands I mentioned above would be worthwhile to check out. Most of them have cds available. My favorite is Bob Florence, closely followed by all the rest. I picked up Wayne Bergeron's cd from his website recently. This is some kick-ass contemporary big band jazz! Highly recommended.

MJ

Jul 22, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 18
As much as I like Big band I can only get into it when I hear it live. One of my instructors in MARINE CORPS bomb school,has a great big band called The Chicago Skyliners and I really enjoy the great shows they put on. Like I said, I do enjoy big band but I like it best live and think that's the best way to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back