Big Bad DRM Problems...
Apr 27, 2006 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

InertKinesis

Head-Fier
For those of you who may be familiar enough with the architecture of Windows XP's DRM system to help, I have a problem.

I don't know when or how it happened, but I suddenly don't have any DRM data on my computer. It's just gone. My hunch is the following: for quite a while I used iTunes, and I recently switched back to Windows Media because I got a Creative ZV:M. I think when I uninstalled iTunes all my DRM stuff got lost. I don't even have a DRM folder where I should in the Documents and Settings directory, so nothing works with regard to licensed content. I've tried reinstalling WMP10, and that didn't help.

I realized this problem while trying to install and make Rhapsody work. (Wanna give subscription music a try.)

Any ideas?

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 4
The music was a various asortment of AAC and MP3. As I switched over to WMP, I kept the two libraries completely seperate, so I had even had double copies of the MP3 files that could play directly in WMP. That way, I could just delete the iTunes directory after uninstalling iTunes, which is what I did.

In any case, I think I resolved the problem. Rhapsody stopped complaining and it's letting me handle DRM content just fine. I still don't see a DRM data folder, but I guess it's there somewhere.

Thanks for the input.

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 4
DRM is a bad idea as far as I am concerned. I would say this is a warning to all. Although your problem seems to be fixed I wouldn't fancy having all of my music taken away because the licenses got lost. Stick to buying CDs which are DRM free and better quality if you ask me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back