Bicycle-Fi!
Jan 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,711 of 4,419

Quote:
Three cheers to pigmode, Diamond Head and inspiration. How are you taking these shots by the way, helmet cam?
beerchug.gif

Thanks SilentOne, back at'cha. All taken with a handheld. If you look carefully at this pic, the speedo says 24.3 mph @ 100 cadence (and that on the flats). As a sailor we learn early on "One hand for yourself, one for the ship". 
biggrin.gif

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/7793/dsc00258m.jpg

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,712 of 4,419
A custom titanium road bike is currently being built for me by master ti builder Jim Kish ( www.kishbike.com ). This guy has been an absolute pleasure to work with on my dream bike. Being in between sizes for my height and riding style, I'm really looking forward to a custom fit and ride. He has taken everything under consideration in the design. Not worried about quality. He's a perfectionist by reputation and is the principal ti building instructor at United Bicycle Institute. Stoked!

And for the build kit:

Frame: Kish Custom Road SL - Reynolds 3/2.5 butted ti (blue decals)
Stem and headset spacers: Kish Custom mix of 3/2.5 and 6/4 ti (black faceplate)
Fork: Enve 1.0
Shifters, Breaks, Front and Rear Derailleurs, Compact Crankset: Sram Force
Cassette: Sram OG-1070 11/25
Chain: Sram PC-1071
Bottom Bracket: Chris King (blue)
Headset: Chris King (blue)
Handlebar: Deda Zero 100 / Bar tape: Fizik microtex (metallic blue, matches saddle)
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma (metallic blue)
Seatpost: Thompson Masterpiece
Seatpost collar: Extralite (blue)
Wheels: Hand spun by Jim Kish - DT Swiss RR465 black, black DT Swiss spokes, black brass nipples / laced to Chris King hubs (blue)
Tires: Schwalbe Durano (blue)
Skewers: Far and Near (blue) ti axle and carbon wrapped alu handle
Pedals: Look Keo Classic
Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible
Computer: Garmin Edge 500

That pretty much covers it. Ultimately I decided against painting the frame, partly due to the high cost of the paint scheme I wanted and partly because a bare ti frame is super easy to take care of. Plus if the decals get scratched I can replace them myself. Plus with all the blue accents (decals, saddle, bar tape, headset, bb, hubs, seatpost collar, skewers, tires) I think it will look great. 
grin.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #1,713 of 4,419
Quote:
A custom titanium road bike is currently being built for me by master ti builder Jim Kish ( www.kishbike.com ). This guy has been an absolute pleasure to work with on my dream bike. Being in between sizes for my height and riding style, I'm really looking forward to a custom fit and ride. He has taken everything under consideration in the design. Not worried about quality. He's a perfectionist by reputation and is the principal ti building instructor at United Bicycle Institute. Stoked!

And for the build kit:

Frame: Kish Custom Road SL - Reynolds 3/2.5 butted ti (blue decals)
Stem and headset spacers: Kish Custom mix of 3/2.5 and 6/4 ti (black faceplate)
Shifters, Breaks, Front and Rear Derailleurs, Compact Crankset: Sram Force
Cassette: Sram OG-1070 11/25
Chain: Sram PC-1071
Bottom Bracket: Chris King (blue)
Headset: Chris King (blue)
Handlebar: Deda Zero 100 / Bar tape: Fizik microtex (metallic blue, matches saddle)
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma (metallic blue)
Seatpost: Thompson Masterpiece
Seatpost collar: Extralite (blue)
Wheels: Hand spun by Jim Kish - DT Swiss RR465 black, black DT Swiss spokes, black brass nipples / laced to Chris King hubs (blue)
Tires: Schwalbe Durano (blue)
Skewers: Far and Near (blue) ti axle and carbon wrapped alu handle
Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible
Computer: Garmin Edge 500

That pretty much covers it. Ultimately I decided against painting the frame, partly due to the high cost of the paint scheme I wanted and partly because a bare ti frame is super easy to take care of. Plus if the decals get scratched I can replace them myself. Plus with all the blue accents (decals, saddle, bar tape, headset, bb, hubs, seatpost collar, skewers, tires) I think it will look great. 
grin.gif

In the next few months i plan on buying a bike for my ever increasing ridding. Im looking into hybrid bikes, and down the street from me in a bike shop that carries everything and he personally makes custom bikes. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay? Also what should i look for (in brakes,etc) when looking into a bike?

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #1,715 of 4,419

Quote:

beerchug.gif
 Can't wait for you to shoot it! This thread is an ideal place for sharing pix!

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #1,716 of 4,419

Quote:
In the next few months i plan on buying a bike for my ever increasing ridding. Im looking into hybrid bikes, and down the street from me in a bike shop that carries everything and he personally makes custom bikes. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay? Also what should i look for (in brakes,etc) when looking into a bike?

Well it wasn't cheap. You can see the pricing at kishbike.com for the road sl frame and sram force groupset, although I made several changes to the build kit which raised the price quite a bit higher. Titanium is very expensive. You can get a custom steel bike for a lot less. All the seperate parts add up depending on what you want. So it really depends. I would start with a budget then work from that.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,717 of 4,419

Quote:

Thanks SilentOne, back at'cha. All taken with a handheld. If you look carefully at this pic, the speedo says 24.3 mph @ 100 cadence (and that on the flats). As a sailor we learn early on "One hand for yourself, one for the ship"
biggrin.gif

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/7793/dsc00258m.jpg

The catchphrase - absolutely love it! Unable to make out the speedo. But man, rollin' 24.3 in the flats with a hand on the bike, with the other on Hollywood... 
biggrin.gif
  Makes me wanna get back in shape!

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,719 of 4,419

Quote:
The catchphrase - absolutely love it! Unable to make out the speedo. But man, rollin' 24.3 in the flats with a hand on the bike, with the other on Hollywood... 
biggrin.gif
  Makes me wanna get back in shape!

The other catchphrase I live by is "Its better to look good, than to feel good". Click the link, then click the pic.

dongringo,
Kish are awesome as you obviously already know. :thumbsup: I neeed a ti frame---but budge-wise will probably end up with a custom steel this year. Who knows. I do lots of planning, but make decisions in the split of a second.Excessive caffeine is usually involved.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,720 of 4,419
Quote:
Well it wasn't cheap. You can see the pricing at kishbike.com for the road sl frame and sram force groupset, although I made several changes to the build kit which raised the price quite a bit higher. Titanium is very expensive. You can get a custom steel bike for a lot less. All the seperate parts add up depending on what you want. So it really depends. I would start with a budget then work from that.

I am stunned by the cost of it. Now steel is obviously the heaviest metal, than titanium, and carbon fiber. The problem with carbon fiber is that it damages easily, and titanium doesn't correct? Ill definitely look into titanium if that is.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,721 of 4,419

Quote:
I am stunned by the cost of it. Now steel is obviously the heaviest metal, than titanium, and carbon fiber. The problem with carbon fiber is that it damages easily, and titanium doesn't correct? Ill definitely look into titanium if that is.

Well, with carbon you have to worry if you crash it and you have to take extra precautions like not leaning the frame up against the corner of a building, etc. A scratch or ding can compromise fibers and you might not even be able to see it under the paint. Carbon fiber bike frames were designed for sponsored racers in mind. It was about aerodynamics and gram saving, not for unsponsored recreational mere mortals. But since they can mass produce them in Taiwan for so cheap and the fact that people want what the racers ride, the big companies like Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. put massive amounts of time and cash into bringing carbon fiber frames to the mainstream. I don't have anything against carbon fiber frames, but if I'm going to spend the amount I just spent on my dream bike I want it to last the rest of my life. I can't put down this kind of cash on a bike again. Titanium is light and practically indestructible. Plus you don't even need to paint it as it doesn't rust or corrode. Like Jim Kish says, once you get past the cost, there isn't any negatives. Titanium frames are lifetime frames. Just gotta get past the cost. Hope that helps.
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,722 of 4,419

Quote:

The other catchphrase I live by is "Its better to look good, than to feel good". Click the link, then click the pic.

dongringo,
Kish are awesome as you obviously already know. :thumbsup: I neeed a ti frame---but budge-wise will probably end up with a custom steel this year. Who knows. I do lots of planning, but make decisions in the split of a second.Excessive caffeine is usually involved.

24.3 mph--

('Silent One' clicks on link... then pix)  
smiley_thumb.gif
  Ah, where would I be without instructions? Listening to headphones out of phase, perhaps. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,723 of 4,419
Quote:
Well, with carbon you have to worry if you crash it and you have to take extra precautions like not leaning the frame up against the corner of a building, etc. A scratch or ding can compromise fibers and you might not even be able to see it under the paint. Carbon fiber bike frames were designed for sponsored racers in mind. It was about aerodynamics and gram saving, not for unsponsored recreational mere mortals. But since they can mass produce them in Taiwan for so cheap and the fact that people want what the racers ride, the big companies like Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc. put massive amounts of time and cash into bringing carbon fiber frames to the mainstream. I don't have anything against carbon fiber frames, but if I'm going to spend the amount I just spent on my dream bike I want it to last the rest of my life. I can't put down this kind of cash on a bike again. Titanium is light and practically indestructible. Plus you don't even need to paint it as it doesn't rust or corrode. Like Jim Kish says, once you get past the cost, there isn't any negatives. Titanium frames are lifetime frames. Just gotta get past the cost. Hope that helps.
beerchug.gif

I understand that, would you prefer aluminum or titanium? Aluminum rusts if i remember correctly, and im looking for a titanium hybrid bike which i can find many of except custom bikes. Any suggestions?

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,724 of 4,419

Quote:
I understand that, would you prefer aluminum or titanium? Aluminum rusts if i remember correctly, and im looking for a titanium hybrid bike which i can find many of except custom bikes. Any suggestions?

For a hybrid, you'll find that aluminum and steel are the norm. Aluminum is an excellent frame material. It's light and cheap. It can corrode under salty conditions, but usually only when exposed. That's why aluminum frames are painted, just like steel is painted because of rust. It really depends on what you will be using it for and your budget. How much will you be riding it? You can always start with something in the budget that you can live with and sell it later if you decide to go a different route. Also, the components are more important than frame material. Honestly, I don't know much about hybrids. For the last few years, I've only ridden road bikes. I don't know where you live, but I recommend going to some bike shops and test ride some bikes.

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,725 of 4,419
I come from a BMX bike, which sucks when riding 30 miles. I love my dads crusing bike, but i need the speed of a road bike and the conditions around me are not road like material. I came to the conclusion that i like a cross-cycle bike, but dont like the handlebars and is why the hybrids are for me. Ill be using it daily for 30-60 mile bike rides, and the trails are usually gravel and sometimes pavement. I plan to spend around $700, and i want it to last, and if i need to ill buy a bike case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back