Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #721 of 4,419
They're Crud Roadracers - designed for frames that don't take mudguards and don't have a lot of clearance. You don't rub but they have virtually no clearance at the same time.
I'd highly recommend them but I don't know if you can get them in America.

For brakes Kool Stop Salmons and Dura Ace calipers are the best.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #722 of 4,419
I can't stand clip on guards, had race blades and chucked them in the shed. Takes 1 hour to put them on, and when they're on they rub. Last time fine for 20 miles then starting rubbing. Bike doesn't have fittings for proper mudguards.

So I bought another bike. This one is road bike/tourer type so no problem with guards and panniers. Still use both, just the first bike is a proper dry road bike, second wet bike.

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #724 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard good things about Kool Stop brake pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For brakes Kool Stop Salmons...

Cool thanks. I'll have to take a look at those and see if they fit my existing pad holders. The guys at the bike shop also recommended the Kool Stop dual compound ones, but they were wicked expensive at full retail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and Dura Ace calipers are the best.

Ya, the stopping power of the Ultegra/Dura Ace bikes I rode was enough to send you off the front end of the bike, even with your weight reasonably far back. Which is the way I like em
atsmile.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #725 of 4,419
Just picked this up for cheap on craigslist. I wanted a beater I could tote around campus w/o worrying myself to death about theft. I had one stolen when I was in the dorms and it sat outside all night. So I'm slightly paranoid. Anyhoo, I think I might clean her up and sand her down for an all black paint job, and maybe a conversion to a single speed free/fixed flip flop in the rear. All depends on what all I can find on the cheap.

FujiSupremeside.jpg

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #727 of 4,419
I need some advice from people who know a lot about bikes! I want to buy my first ever road bike (only ever had mountain bikes). What are people's opinions on this bike? Revolution Track '09 (£349.99). I'll be using this to get to the gym in the morning, then lectures throughout the day. Will probably average about 4-5 miles a day, relatively flat, not too hilly cycling in the city.

Would it work out cheaper to buy separate components and build my own, or would that be throwing me in at the deep end? My budget is £350. Thanks guys.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #729 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not mess that Fuji, it is a classic and it should remain as is. Just clean and lubricate it, true the wheels if needed and replace the cables and brake pads as needed.

Concur: clean, dissasemble, lube, reassemble, adjust, ride.

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #730 of 4,419
Quote:

I would not mess that Fuji, it is a classic and it should remain as is. Just clean and lubricate it, true the wheels if needed and replace the cables and brake pads as needed. Cheers on a nice old bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Concur: clean, dissasemble, lube, reassemble, adjust, ride.

I would agree, if there wasn't surface rust from scratches : (

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #731 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree, if there wasn't surface rust from scratches : (

You might still be better off to clean up any surface rust with naval jelly or such, flush the frame throughly and degrease, and then use paste wax as a protectant. Either way, I see a complete stripping of the frame in your future.

Sep 26, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #734 of 4,419
Quote:

DanTheMiataMan, I had the original issue Dale then a 3.0 from around '89 w/ Dura Ace components (still have it). One killer of a bike.

Yeah it is a like 93 2.6 R600 that someone put late 90's Shimano 105 stuff on. Needs to badly be tuned and taken care of but I'm lazy and just use it as a commuter. I'd rather it go to a good home of someone who will love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back