Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #3,781 of 4,419

How do the Avid BB7 compare with the Shimano XT, do you know? I'm getting ready to start building a bike. Thanks!

BB7's are mechanical, aren't they ? They can't be that good in comparison to the XT's, then, based on my admittedly limited experience with mechanical calipers.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,782 of 4,419

BB7's are mechanical, aren't they ? They can't be that good in comparison to the XT's, then, based on my admittedly limited experience with mechanical calipers.

Yes, I believe they are mechanical. So, the hydraulic ones are superior? I (obviously) don't know anything about disc brakes (I'm a SRAM road bike guy...yes, the dark side...).

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #3,783 of 4,419
Yes, they are indeed superior.

I'm a roadie as well, you may see some pics of my GT Grade posted earlier on.

Based on my experience, they're not even comparable in terms of modulation capabilities and feel in general.

If you've never tried hydraulic disks, the best analogy that I could come up with is that of car's brake pedal feel (or a Motorcycle's brake lever, for that matter).

My levers (Shimano 805, best road hydraulic levers in the current Shim range) feel just as precise, just as delicate yet effective.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3,784 of 4,419

How do the Avid BB7 compare with the Shimano XT, do you know? I'm getting ready to start building a bike. Thanks!

XT's all day long. I've ran both and hands down the XT is a superior brake. BB7's aren't bad...not at all. Best mech brake out there IMO...but XT hydros are just better.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #3,785 of 4,419
Here's my latest bike purchase...ordered...hoping it's here this week. Cannonedale SuperX CX1. Can't wait to get out and grind some gravel!

My single speed goodness....

And when I need gears...but it's now a 1x10 with SRAM X.9 rear and Hope brakes...

And this is for tearing up pavement at a snail's pace...yeah...I'm a fat slow guy on the bike...

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,786 of 4,419
  Here's my latest bike purchase...ordered...hoping it's here this week. Cannonedale SuperX CX1. Can't wait to get out and grind some gravel!

Cool !

Keep us posted, I'm particularly interested by the single ring bit. That cassette doesn't look that wide, does it ? 11/28 ?

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #3,787 of 4,419
Yes...11-28 but it will be replaced right off the bat with either an 11-36 or 11-40. The front is a 40T. I don't have a fast average speed...15ish mph so I don't think top end will be much issue except maybe on fast descents. My only concern is low-end but the 40/36 will get me very close to the 34/32 I'm using on my road bike and 40/40 will be slightly lower so I'll be in a little better shape on some of the steep stuff. I do plan to use this on the road as well and if it all works out probably end up selling the road bike.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,788 of 4,419
Cool to find this thread.
Last March, after almost 10 years of not riding a bike I went to the LBS and bought a Specialized Rockhopper. That very same day my good buddy went and bought himself a Trek Caliber 7. We ride every single chance we get. I live right near a local metropark that has dedicated mtb trails. I get out there all the time.
I also live a stones throw away from a long, paved and gravel trail. So last fall I went and purchased a Specialized Diverge Elite A1. I am no professional, but I get out and ride as much as possible. I haven't been in this good of shape and feeling this healthy in a long time.

Here's my road/gravel bike. This photo was 25 miles into a 50+ ride. I know of that's not really a long distance. But considering what I could only do a year ago is amazing.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,789 of 4,419
50 miles isn't anything to scoff at. I'd bet there's a LOT of cyclist that would have a lot of problem riding that distance or not be able to at all. Good job and nice bike!

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #3,790 of 4,419
50 miles isn't anything to scoff at. I'd bet there's a LOT of cyclist that would have a lot of problem riding that distance or not be able to at all. Good job and nice bike!

Thank you! I am wanting to do my first century ride this year.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #3,792 of 4,419
Mar 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3,793 of 4,419

Even Campy's Hydraulic hoods look terrible. And now Valentino not only looks like a madman, but also like a fool.

The UCI painted him as the clown he is. They cornered him by allowing Disc's for road racing this year, leaving no alternative. Personally I would have loved to see the TDF run with Campy teams on rim brakes and everyone else on discs. It would have made the descents amazing.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,794 of 4,419

The UCI painted him as the clown he is. They cornered him by allowing Disc's for road racing this year, leaving no alternative. Personally I would have loved to see the TDF run with Campy teams on rim brakes and everyone else on discs. It would have made the descents amazing.

The best would have been Shimano levers, hidden underneath Campy hoods on Colnago's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back