BGVP DM6 - My opinions/What do you think?
Jan 28, 2019 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Vladuts.duts

New Head-Fier
Here's a link to a bunch of pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OozBGYZ5V7vjk7iB2dY4P5rpSzdlGbgW

TL; DR

You need a good source and a good file to enjoy these properly. They reveal the amp, DAC, as well as the quality of the recording. Given that is taken care of (which is not too difficult - see budget recommendation) this set is mind blowing, especially with the wide opening tips. You need to go out of your way to make sure they are safe from the elements, with your own carrying case, cleaning any earwax or any other debris. I have found these to be among the most trustworthy and (at the same time!!) enjoyable IEMs under $800, for both listening to music and monitoring in studio/on stage. If you can afford it, to quote a dear friend, "it's better than drugs! I'm tearing up, take them away from me"

Pros

- Fit wonderfully in my ears
- exceptional seal and isolation.
- cable is comfortable and doesn't irritate the back of my ears
- Sound is exceptional and will be discussed below
- very efficient
- highly detailed but not fatiguing
- respond exceptionally well to a balanced amp & cable.

Cons

- they do not include any case for the IEMs or wire, just for the tips.
- they do not fit in small ears, regardless of tip size
- CONDENSATION
- exposed mmcx contacts

Caveats

- 5BA, no dynamics
- they are extremely sensitive and so will reveal the noise of the amp
- tips are easy to put on but they also fall off easily
- no screen to keep dust/wax out
- the bottom connector screws on = serviceable but more easily corroded
- there are a few different types of tips which change the sound characteristics
- They look very flashy in clear. I get questions about them often, whether they are in my ears or just hanging at my neck at that moment.

1. Unboxing

The box is quite basic, but it's functional enough. Ear tips are in small plastic bags by pairs and a very small plastic case is provided so you can carry a couple different pairs with you. Everything was easy to access and star using right away, but there is no included case for the IEMs themselves. The DM6 look beautiful and the cable is quite nice at first impression, so the omission seems hard to justify. Perhaps they could have offered it as an option for a $25 extra charge. I would have much preferred that.

2. Build

These babies sparkle. The casing is immediately eye catching. It's not blingy, but it certainly plays with the light and they look like customs. Someone certainly put some hard work in both the design and production.
The nozzle lacks a screen. This is an advantage from a sound perspective, as it doesn't act as a filter between the tubes and your ear canal. There are filters in the tubes, visible through the casing.
The groove on the nozzle is meant to keep the tips on better, but it doesn't do a great job at that. They come off easily when tugged, even in my ear when removing the IEM, or especially in a pocket if you ever put them there for transportation. It's worth noting that the page bore tips do hold on slightly better, and this is not an issue for the foamies. I recommend keeping the tips off and in the little plastic case when not in use to prevent losing them. I'm also concerned about just how thin the nozzle walls get at the groove. I hope that will not be a problem.
The mmcx connectors are recessed, with the connector housing being flush to the IEM surface (mostly). When the wire is connected, there remains a small gap between the IEM surface and the bottom of the wire connector. I don't expect this to be a problem since the connection is gold plated and high quality, but from an engineering perspective it is more susceptible to corrosion and a potential failure point down the line.
The wire is slightly above average for this price range, single ended, nicely braided. The end connector is screwed on, which makes it serviceable should it ever become problematic, but it also makes it more susceptible to the elements.
I used the default cable for most of my listening, switching to balanced in the last bit.
I don't recommend using these outdoors, especially in cold weather. I went for a walk with these, in dry cold weather, took them out of my ear once to speak with someone and when I returned indoors and removed them, to my shock, I saw condensation inside the housing. I have never seen it before on any IEM, so I don't know if it's common and just noticeable because they're clear, or particular to my set, so your mileage may vary, but moisture near electrical components sounds like bad news to me.

3. Ergonomics

These are exceptionally comfortable in my ear. The silicone tips are easy to slide in and get a seal. The shape allows them to primarily press against my ear lobe when I place my head on a pillow, which means it's not very uncomfortable to wear these to sleep.
HOWEVER: These do not fit everyone. Only 1 out of 4 females that I have had try these was able to fit them in her ears because of the size and shape of the housing. Younger males, or just people with small ears, beware, these are large and their proper fit is essential to proper sound. Make sure you can return them before you purchase and find out they won't fit in your ears, or contact BGVP for a custom set.

4. Sound

I don't have the equipment to generate a frequency response, nor have I looked online for one. I think it's simple to understand what these do. Some people call them mild/minor v-shaped, but I find them neutral. I adhere to the Harman curve here, which compensates for our human ears not having a perfectly flat sensitivity across the frequency range.
There is a slight elevation in the treble that I don't find distracting or harsh, but it is perceptible. Detail retrieval is exceptional here, and that slight boost to the highs makes microdetails more noticeable.
Mids are very smooth. Both male and female vocals are presented accurately, and they stand out when the mix is good. They exceed the HD650 in intimacy and presence, but never get shouty. Guitars have some of the most satisfying bite I've heard.
The bass is an interesting mix. These are very sensitive to digital filters and the quality of a mix. It's not over emphasized, so it may seem like it lacks punch on a bad recording. Properly powered, running balanced with a good recording, the bass is impactful, rumbly, detailed and fat when it needs to be. No complaints here.
Sound stage is wide, on par with any good IEM, but not so wide to lose intimacy.
Imaging on the other hand is unbelievably detailed and consistent from side to side, and pin-point perfect.

Note: this evaluation was made with the wide bore tips and foam tips in mostly quiet environments. Narrow tips boosted the bass slightly and hid some of the treble. They were more appropriate in operating vehicles and loud areas, like public transportation. There is no such thing as a bass cable and a treble cable. Switching to balanced does make a difference, but that's a property of the type of amplification that the cable now supports rather than the cable itself.

5. Budget setup

As mentioned before, these require clean power and a clean signal. My LG V30 has one of the best Amp-DAC setups in any smartphone, and it’s not good enough. The amplifier noise is often louder than the quiet sounds in a song so it’s unusable.

The Radsone EarStudio ES100 is affordable ($100 or less if on sale) and it is a perfect companion for these. It can act as a usb OTG DAC for your phone or your Computer, but best case, it acts as a Bluetooth DAC. With APTX HD and even LDAC support, you can have impeccable streaming from your smartphone and this thing is incredibly quiet – amplifier noise is completely imperceptible. Also, the level of control offered is amazing. with its filter choice, DCT, Jitter cleaner, great codec support, oversampling capabilities, even native crossfeed. The ES100 is my recommendation. As a great bonus, the balanced output gives you the opportunity to upgrade your IEMs quite easily and get a bit more out of them inexpensively.

6. Qualifiers

It is useful to understand how I perceive sound so that you can use that frame of reference for your own impression of how this set of IEMs sounds.
- I primarily enjoy speakers. I think there's something special that a nearfield set can provide that headphones have a difficult time producing. I have built speakers as a hobby which compete with $200-400 retail sets.
- I have mild treble sensitivity and often find sounds harsh and unpleasant when others think them to be exciting and bright.
- my right ear is shaped strangely and it's more difficult than usual to get a seal.
- my right ear has a larger opening and takes a larger tip size than the left. It is also less sensitive to Bass below 100Hz, but not drastically so.
- I am an enthusiast, not a professional. I've used IEMs on stage for a church band and at home for some experimental mixing, but do not have a professional studio nor do I depend on this gear for my income. I favor excitement over reliability to some degree.
- I have used IEMs from 64audio, Shure, AKG, Thinksound, KZ, Phillips, Sennheiser, Simgot.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 2
They are exciting! Nice photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back