BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Apr 17, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #5,177 of 5,353
IMG_20210414_200930-01.jpeg

I got my NS9 recently, i bought one during the march sales. I'm more impressed with the hardware than the actual sound they produce. i posted the full teardown to my facebook if anyone would like to see that

as for the sound, they have a "unique" frequency response to say the least

vfdbfsgb.jpg

and all the filters and tips:

ns999.jpg

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #5,178 of 5,353
IMG_20210414_200930-01.jpeg

I got my NS9 recently, i bought one during the march sales. I'm more impressed with the hardware than the actual sound they produce. i posted the full teardown to my facebook if anyone would like to see that

as for the sound, they have a "unique" frequency response to say the least

vfdbfsgb.jpg

and all the filters and tips:

ns999.jpg
Very Psychedelic....very brave

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #5,181 of 5,353
What is your problem with the ns9's sound ?
the upper mids are squashed, flattened, as you see on the graph. i have never seen or heard such an unusual choice of tuning. you constantly feel as though parts of the music are too quiet with the NS9, and so you increase the volume alot to compensate for the upper mids, making the bass loud in the process. it's so strange. I'm not too much of a fan. i do find the upper treble to be excellent on the NS9 in contrast

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #5,182 of 5,353
the upper mids are squashed, flattened, as you see on the graph. i have never seen or heard such an unusual choice of tuning. you constantly feel as though parts of the music are too quiet with the NS9, and so you increase the volume alot to compensate for the upper mids, making the bass loud in the process. it's so strange. I'm not too much of a fan. i do find the upper treble to be excellent on the NS9 in contrast
:frowning2: I see :frowning2: Please give me a link for your Facebook page.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,183 of 5,353
Have to say my set definitely don't sound like yours, which would bother me a lot if they did. Mine sound really good except the treble needs a minor boost.
I got them as a foil to my LZ A7 which have a Zingy but great Piezo treble. The upper mids on mine are very good indeed. Definitely can't say parts of the music are too quiet, in fact my observation is the reverse, they have amazing stage and are very upfront. We either have totally different taste, or the old Cliche, ( I know sorry for this), but maybe yours are poor quality control.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #5,185 of 5,353
Have to say my set definitely don't sound like yours, which would bother me a lot of they did. Mine sound really good except the treble needs a minor boost.
I got them as a foil to my LZ A7 which have a Zingy but great Piezo treble. The upper mids on mine are very good indeed. Definitely can't say parts of the music are too quiet, in fact my observation is the reverse, they have amazing stage and are very upfront. We either have totally different taste, or the old Cliche, ( I know sorry for this), but maybe yours are poor quality control.

i do not believe my pair to be poor quality control, my measurements match other fellow reviewers measurements and my impressions also match theirs.

i would absolutely not consider the ns9 "very upfront" sounding, I really don't know how you possibly got that impression.

but maybe i can learn from this, tell me, whats your filter & tip arrangement? I'd love to try your setup

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #5,186 of 5,353
What amp are you using? I suspect 18 drivers in total need a lot of juice.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #5,188 of 5,353
i do not believe my pair to be poor quality control, my measurements match other fellow reviewers measurements and my impressions also match theirs.

i would absolutely not consider the ns9 "very upfront" sounding, I really don't know how you possibly got that impression.

but maybe i can learn from this, tell me, whats your filter & tip arrangement? I'd love to try your setup

I use with Spiral Dot L, at the moment I use the silver filter. I bought it with a 2.5mm jack so I could adapt to use 3.5mm single ended or 4.4mm balanced. I use the HiBy R5 as my 4.4mm source. I also use it with my iFi hip-dac 4.4mm as a source. I have noticed and said that it likes some juice from the 4.4mm. I would say on mine the bass is good, definitely does not bleed into the BA mids. For sub-bass I used Why so Serious, The Dark Knight, Hans Zimmer about 3.15 onwards is good, mid-bass 2Paq, Ambitionz az a Ridah, mid guitars about seven versions of All along the Watchtower, many female vocals from Ane Brun, Sandy Denny etc. etc. To test highs Sibelius Violin Concerto, Philharmonia, Adrian Justus on violin, one of my favourite pieces. Violins need a little more energy to get the right weight of note. I find the NS9 exceptionally good except for classical orchestral music which needs more treble energy, (although staging and spacials are superb), but I was aware from another review @cleg that the treble was a bit unenergised. Also the review by @Tamirci gave me confidence in these. To my ears they are very good and have a great stage, deep bass if called upon. Mids are the star, but highs seem to need a little energy. I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #5,189 of 5,353
I use with Spiral Dot L, at the moment I use the silver filter. I bought it with a 2.5mm jack so I could adapt to use 3.5mm single ended or 4.4mm balanced. I use the HiBy R5 as my 4.4mm source. I also use it with my iFi hip-dac 4.4mm as a source. I have noticed and said that it likes some juice from the 4.4mm. I would say on mine the bass is good, definitely does not bleed into the BA mids. For sub-bass I used Why so Serious, The Dark Knight, Hans Zimmer about 3.15 onwards is good, mid-bass 2Paq, Ambitionz az a Ridah, mid guitars about seven versions of All along the Watchtower, many female vocals from Ane Brun, Sandy Denny etc. etc. To test highs Sibelius Violin Concerto, Philharmonia, Adrian Justus on violin, one of my favourite pieces. Violins need a little more energy to get the right weight of note. I find the NS9 exceptionally good except for classical orchestral music which needs more treble energy, (although staging and spacials are superb), but I was aware from another review @cleg that the treble was a bit unenergised. Also the review by @Tamirci gave me confidence in these. To my ears they are very good and have a great stage, deep bass if called upon. Mids are the star, but highs seem to need a little energy. I like them a lot.
ah i see, i dont have any spiral dot tips or any sort of balanced audio hardware sadly, but i do agree with you that the highs (those upper mids) need more energy

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #5,190 of 5,353
ah i see, i dont have any spiral dot tips or any sort of balanced audio hardware sadly, but i do agree with you that the highs (those upper mids) need more energy
No the upper mids are good on mine. It's the treble that needs a boost, to my ears. Anyway I like them a lot and am going to concentrate on them for a couple of weeks to get more break in/brain burn in/burn in. Just maybe your upper mid BA is not fully functional? Luckily we are all different in our likes, dislikes, pleasures etc. I think you are very brave doing a teardown...I wouldn't have the nerve. Very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back