BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #227 of 5,353
Blue DM6 are in the house :) ... ordered on 11.11 from Yaoyaotiger store, wanted agate red, they did not have it and wrote to me. They did have blue, and I went with that. Shipped on 13th, arrived today.

Looks like you got the silver cable. Did you get 2 cables in the box? Mine came with the silver plated copper cable with a right angle connector at the end. I like the blue color.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #229 of 5,353
Lots of pics and no impressions. C'mon people open you mouths

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #230 of 5,353
They're well made, isolate well, and fit quite well too. Very first impressions oob are promising (definitely more balanced than the Whizzer Kylin I got yesterday).

Since I heard a few people stating that their DM6 changed quite a bit after some burn-in, though, I really did not spend any quality time with them, just put them on burn-in straightaway:).

So I think you'll need to wait a bit more @paulindss for some serious impressions :) (definitely from me, but I think probably from the others too - looks like the shipments from 11.11 are landing around now).

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #231 of 5,353
They're well made, isolate well, and fit quite well too. Very first impressions oob are promising (definitely more balanced than the Whizzer Kylin I got yesterday).

Since I heard a few people stating that their DM6 changed quite a bit after some burn-in, though, I really did not spend any quality time with them, just put them on burn-in straightaway:).

So I think you'll need to wait a bit more @paulindss for some serious impressions :) (definitely from me, but I think probably from the others too - looks like the shipments from 11.11 are landing around now).
How many hours does burn in take?also burn is like just play random song overnight?

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #232 of 5,353
Dec 4, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #233 of 5,353
My clear DM6 ordered on BF has been shipped out yesterday. Tracking is good so far, dispatched from HK.
Hopefully this is not one of those fake tracking IDs. I have asked the seller (Audio & Video Professional Store) about tracking, fingers crossed.

Indeed as mine are coming from the same seller, ruby red if you wondered, he's told me it'll be at least another ten days for me, guess it's a popular choice.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #234 of 5,353
How many hours does burn in take?also burn is like just play random song overnight?

Burn-in is sort of a controversial topic, with lots of people having lots of different opinions. On balanced armature earphones, in particular (like these are), it's not supposed to have an effect. Somebody who wanted to throw away the DM6 on first listen, after a few days was a lot happier, though, if memory serves.

Me, in my experience, sometimes burn in has an effect, sometimes it does not. Sometimes the effect is small, sometimes it's large. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes it's not (=I actually liked the thing better at the beginning :)).

There are some specially prepared tunes that you can use for burn in, if you want, but also simply letting your music go can be fine (especially if it's varied enough - the specially prepared tunes are designed to exercise all frequencies, to ensure that nothing is NOT burned in).

Me, just as an habit, I burn in everything for 200 hours - that's around 9 days non-stop, before settling down to actually listen. Most things, after 200 hours are well settled in. Some few exceptions need longer -like 350-400 hours- but that's quite rare.

My personal theory is that 1) I have other stuff I can listen to in the meantime, and 2) if burn in IS going to have an effect, I'd rather listen directly to the end result, rather than waste time liking(or DISliking) a temporary sound :) .

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #235 of 5,353
Burn-in is sort of a controversial topic, with lots of people having lots of different opinions. On balanced armature earphones, in particular (like these are), it's not supposed to have an effect. Somebody who wanted to throw away the DM6 on first listen, after a few days was a lot happier, though, if memory serves.

Me, in my experience, sometimes burn in has an effect, sometimes it does not. Sometimes the effect is small, sometimes it's large. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes it's not (=I actually liked the thing better at the beginning :)).

There are some specially prepared tunes that you can use for burn in, if you want, but also simply letting your music go can be fine (especially if it's varied enough - the specially prepared tunes are designed to exercise all frequencies, to ensure that nothing is NOT burned in).

Me, just as an habit, I burn in everything for 200 hours - that's around 9 days non-stop, before settling down to actually listen. Most things, after 200 hours are well settled in. Some few exceptions need longer -like 350-400 hours- but that's quite rare.

My personal theory is that 1) I have other stuff I can listen to in the meantime, and 2) if burn in IS going to have an effect, I'd rather listen directly to the end result, rather than waste time liking(or DISliking) a temporary sound :) .

Perfect advice - This is exactly my experience as well :)
You can use Bach's Brandenburg Concertos or some of Bach's Organ works which as well containing all frequencies as a more organic / natural dynamic way to burn in your headphones. Some people just use 'pink noise'
May be worthwhile to mention also that the main elements that can subtly or drastically change the sound are
1. different tips - foam, silicon, different brands
2. different cables - silver, copper, blends, single strand to 16 core
3. the source - different player contain different DAC chips and have different over all flavours of sound
4. the source - modern overly compressed music can sounds very different to a well made vinyl rip from 1950's!
Anyhoo - bloody well said geagle :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #236 of 5,353

I thought the DM6 changed after 40 hours. It simply opened up slighly and became smoother. Instrument separation seemed slighly better too.

Though I’m not sure if it’s just brain burn in. And BA drivers are not supposed to react to burn-in, but there are crossovers in there and lots of wires.

Who knows? Two times I purchased back-up headphones and they sounded exactly the same as my old burned-in headphones did. Though Inner Fidelity actually posted graphs which seemed to prove burn-in once?

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #237 of 5,353

Thank you so much for explaining thoroughly..I really appreciate it.

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #238 of 5,353
I believe that armature drivers do [can] also benefit from burn in - its just that dynamic drivers tend to reactive more to burn in
Every earphone is different and times and degrees of change after burn in vary. I don't think I have ever had a headphone
thought doesn't change to some degree. Some have been slight, some have changed hugely! :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #239 of 5,353
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #240 of 5,353
I believe that armature drivers do [can] also benefit from burn in - its just that dynamic drivers tend to reactive more to burn in
Every earphone is different and times and degrees of change after burn in vary. I don't think I have ever had a headphone
thought doesn't change to some degree. Some have been slight, some have changed hugely! :)

Generally quite agree. With balanced armatures, in particular, I had a couple who did change for me with burn in, while lots of others did not (or did, but so little that I could not tell).

As I said, though, now I just burn in everything - if it changes, I can then listen to the "final" sound and get a better idea what I'm dealing with, it it doesn't, no big deal - I wasn't in that much of a hurry to begin with :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back