Beyond Yes
Jul 2, 2002 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a Yes fan who is looking to find other semi-similar music. Based on threads here I've picked up a couple Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater albums. I like PT, but while I enjoy some of the instrumental DT songs, I can't get passed the lyrics/singing style/voice of their singer -- just my personal opinion and taste.

I was wondering if anyone had other recomendations for me?

Jul 2, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Glad you enjoy Porcupine Tree and Yes, two brilliant prog bands indeed. Based on what I can infer about your personal tastes, I would recommend these other greats (in no particular order):

- TIMOTHY PURE - Island of the Misfit Toys
- YOKE SHIRE - Masque of Shadows
- SIGUR RÓS - Agaetis Byrjun
- OZRIC TENTACLES - Erpland
- PAYNE'S GRAY - Kadath Decoded
- TRANSATLANTIC - Bridge Across Forever
- FLOWER KINGS - Flower Power & Space Revolver
- STARCASTLE - Starcastle
- ENGLAND - Garden Shed
- CAMEL - Rajaz

If you find some difficulty to find this stuff at your usual vendor, these are two places I can recommend:

http://synphonic.8m.com/index.htm

http://www.lasercd.com/default.asp

Hope this helps.

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 17
King Crimson - Lizard (even has Jon Anderson on one song), In the Wake of Poseidon, In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tounge in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black

Genesis - Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus, Trilogy, Pictures at an Exhibition, Brain Salad Surgery, Works Vol. II

Alan Parson Project - Tales of Mystery & Imagination (if you like this, you'll like the rest of their stuff)

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, Thick as a Brick

Rush - A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves

Spock's Beard - The Light, V

Supertramp - Supertramp (first album), Crisis? What Crisis

Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant (first album), Acquiring the Taste, Three Friends, Octopus

Asia - Asia (first album)

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals

Moody Blues - all of them are good (at least the albums from the 70's), but In Search of the Lost Chord and A Question of Balance are excellent

Traffic - Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory, Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys

Saga - Saga (first album), Images at Twilight, Silent Knight

Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow, Song of Seven (available as imports)

Jon and Vangelis - Short Stories, The Friends of Mr. Cairo

Judy Garland - Collected Works (kidding)

Jul 3, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 17
King Crimson is pretty close to Yes. specially in the era of Discipline and Beat, get those two, now!
wink.gif
Three Of A Perfect Pair should be great too, but don't have it. they got that same insane instrumentation combined with great songs, and as added ingredients, whacky lyrics (I'm wheels, I'm moving wheels! I'm a 1952 Studebacker!) and Tony Levin on Chapman Stick.

Spock's Beard is basically somewhere betwene Yes and the Beatles. it's also just that IMO. lot's of poeple love em. it's fun music tho.

Transatlantic is just some great neo-prog musicians having fun being a 70s era prog band. if you're nostalgic, you might like it. I find it a bit weak.

Flowerkings is great too. but.... I can't stand his voice
tongue.gif
...I can take voices like Fish, LaBrie, Geddy, but Roine Stolt just doesn't cut it for me.

I think Gordian Knot is worthy of mention as well. I think they're completely instrumental, but in any case, they rock.

from Camel I would get Moonmadness, but Rajaz should be great too.

Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle. it has a bit of everything, some goth metal-ish stuff, some soundscapy stuff, some Beatle-esque stuff. just fantastic prog.

if you're going for a Pink Floyd angle, also check Pendragon (Not Of This World)

and some early Marillion ofcourse! get Script For A Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood if you don't already have them.

Jul 3, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 17
Also if you like Rick Wakemans keys, then check out his son. Oliver Wakeman's 3 Ages of Magick. Also check out the collabaration cd "The hound of the Baskervilles" done with Clive Nolan...

Jul 3, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnActon:

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus, Trilogy, Pictures at an Exhibition, Brain Salad Surgery, Works Vol. II

I'll second JohnActon's recommendation of ELP. I have all mentioned but the recording quality is not the best. ELP's music can have a ton of impact, but the CDs (with the exception of Trilogy) recordings leave a lot to be desired. The music however, is outstanding!

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 17
I strongly second JohnActon on most of his pics - in fact, a very good collection of many of the best albums of the prog. rock of the early seventies...(Judy Garland's collected works proudly stands out as the best
very_evil_smiley.gif
)
Although YES had a peculiar style of it's own, some members of the group took part of its character when playing solo or with other groups - see Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Steve Howe and Bill Bruford in different private works and in their album together(1989). Also check:
Chris Squire(YES' guitarist)-Fish out of Water
Bill Bruford(YES' drums)-One of a Kind
Rick Wakeman(YES' keyboards)-The six Wives of Henry the 8-th
Rick Wakeman-Journey to the Center of the Earth
Anderson-Bruford-Wakeman-Howe (1989)
Jon AndersonAangel's Embrace
Patrick Moraz is also worth checking... Have Fun!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 17
Braver - Gordian's Knot sounds pretty good to me can you suggest a starting place?

Demetrio - Sigur Ros is an interesting pick, they reminded me of Radiohead.

I'd hesitantly add Radiohead, they don't fall into Yes' rockier mode, but they do match pretty well with Sigur Ros as mentioned.

Jul 5, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger
Braver - Gordian's Knot sounds pretty good to me can you suggest a starting place?

fraid not, I've heard only some loose songs. Demetrio will be able to help you here I guess. I'd like a suggestion on a GK starting point as well.
cool.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

fraid not, I've heard only some loose songs. Demetrio will be able to help you here I guess. I'd like a suggestion on a GK starting point as well.
cool.gif

I have only their excellent self titled debut album, but there's another new one (Emergent) mentioned at their website, so I can't wait to get this one too. More info (including sound samples) at this link:

http://www.seanmalone.net/

Another group featuring music in a similar style and that I can't also stop listening to is MAUDLIN OF THE WELL. The difference is that Gordian Knot is totally instrumental, while Maudlin of the Well also features vocals. Sound samples at this link:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/153/..._the_well.html

These two groups are two of the best discoveries I have found in a long time, both are stunning!!!!!... Check them out, you won't regret the time you'll spending listening to the samples.

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger
Demetrio - Sigur Ros is an interesting pick, they reminded me of Radiohead.

I'd hesitantly add Radiohead, they don't fall into Yes' rockier mode, but they do match pretty well with Sigur Ros as mentioned.

Hi, Nick, glad you also enjoy SIGUR RÓS, I'm a huge fan of this band too. And given that you also enjoy Radiohead, you might want to check out these other excellent bands (if you don't know them yet): Porcupine Tree, King Black Acid and Bark Psychosis, I think you'd also love them.

Regards

Jul 5, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 17
I picked up Selling England By the Pound the other day -- I had to go to a few stores to track it down, but it was worth it. So how did Genesis going form this album to "I Can't Dance"? I know they lost Gabriel, but come'on!!

Great recomendation! I hope to get to the rest soon.

Jul 6, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I picked up Selling England By the Pound the other day -- I had to go to a few stores to track it down, but it was worth it. So how did Genesis going form this album to "I Can't Dance"? I know they lost Gabriel, but come'on!!

Great recomendation! I hope to get to the rest soon.

Hmmmm... Prepare yourself (the wallet, I mean) after saying you also enjoy Genesis... Just for starters (after getting the rest of the Genesis stuff) - in no pargicular order:

- MARILLION - Misplaced Childhood
- NEUSCHWANSTEIN - Battlement
- IQ - Subterranea & The Seventh House
- TIMOTHY PURE - Island of the Misfit Toys
- TRANSATLANTIC - Bridge Across Forever
- FLOWER KINGS - Space Revolver
- ANGLAGARD - Hybris
- ARENA - Immortal?
- H20 - Unopuntosei
- COLLAGE - Moonshine
- ENCHANT - A Blueprint of the World
- PENDRAGON - The Masquerade Overture
- PALLAS - The Cross & the Crucible
- ILUVATAR - Children
- STEVE HACKETT - Voyage of the Acolyte
- ANTHONY PHILLIPS - The Geese and the Ghost

I'm afraid your wife is going to hate us a lot after this.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 17
To me, the last great (i.e. "progressive") album that Genesis put out was A Trick of the Tail, the first album they released subsequent to Gabriel's departure. If you like Selling England by the Pound, make sure to check out Foxtrot. "Supper's Ready" is one of the greates songs (if a 20 minute opus can rightly be called just a song) ever released. And when you're ready, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is waiting....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wow, Demetrio, those are some great picks. I also dig Transatlantic.

If you like Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte, you may also like Please Don't Touch and Sprectal Mornings (if you haven't already heard them). Marillion's Misplaced Childhood is also very good - I really like "Kayleigh".

I know the names of most of the rest of your suggestions, but am not familiar with the music. I will have to check some of this out. I remember Braver and David Cotton (fellow prog enthusiasts) recommending Ayreon in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back