* beyerdynamic's ear-killing highs *
Nov 22, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fozi

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I've listened to the DT 331's, 531's, 931's, 770/80 Pro's, the '05 770's and the '05 990's, and the result has always been the same: after a short while of listening my ears begin to suffer and tire because of the too spiky highs.

This annoying character has NOT appeared either with the '03 or the '05 DT 880's why it's the reason DT 880's are my only option for beyerdynamic phones. It's sad because if the problem wouldn't excist I would definetly give a serious thought to get myself a pair of the DT 990's.

I'm just wondering if there is anybody out there that not just think (some of) the beyerdynamic phones are bright but "making your ears to bleed"-bright..

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 11
I found the older 990s to be painfully bright as well..
frown.gif

The old 801s are really good though, like a less polite and more fun version of the 880.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, it certainly hasn't been my impression. The ONLY Beyer I find too bright is the DT880!

The DT770 (05) and DT990 (05) do have a somewhat elevated treble, but with a the right amp, this is an asset, not a liability, for me.

The DT770/80 do not have an elevated or spikey treble - this is their main difference from the other Beyers - they have a MUCH softer treble and less recessed midrange than the other older DT770's or DT990's.

But all listeners will react differently to different headphones.

Nov 22, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 11
I find the my '05 880s too bright on about 60% of my CD/SACDs.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 11
My DT 880s are bright...but never painfully so. However, I use a cd player with a tubed output stage and a tube headphone amp. YMMV.

They are brighter than I want with some recordings...but on others, they're fantastic. None of my headphones sound great with everything.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 11
It's really going to depend on your source and amplifier. I remember trying my pre-2005 DT 880s unamplified, and I couldn't take it. Bright or fatiguing components will generally show up as such with most Beyers I've tried. It's been my experience that something like the HD580 or HD650 which have rolled off highs will tend to cover this up leading one to believe it's the fault of the headphones.

Nov 22, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 11
I think it comes down to what frequencies we are sensitive to and which ones we are not. I found the DT880 (older one) to have too much treble. I also find the SA5k and HD280 to be kind of the same way.

While upper-midrange boosted cans (DT770, Grados) dont bother me much at all.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Everyone hears things differently. I might say a certain headphone sounds honky while someone may say it sounds fine, etc.

We also use the same word to define different things. I might say a headphone sounds "glarey" while someone else might say it sounds "bright". I might use "bright" to describe a completely different sonic characteristic.

However, you absolutely cannot discount your source or amplifier as a contributor to what you are hearing. They can be just as responsible (if not moreso) than the headphones themselves.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JunktionFET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone hears things differently. I might say a certain headphone sounds honky while someone may say it sounds fine, etc.

We also use the same word to define different things. I might say a headphone sounds "glarey" while someone else might say it sounds "bright". I might use "bright" to describe a completely different sonic characteristic.

However, you absolutely cannot discount your source or amplifier as a contributor to what you are hearing. They can be just as responsible (if not moreso) than the headphones themselves.

During my neophyte stint here so far, I have found these three statements to be completely true. I am presently using a DT 831 and to my ears, nothing could be finer.
Vito

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Ive used both DT770/80 Pros and DT990 '05s ( the newest version ) and its my conclusion that source/amp are VERY important. I was running both these headphones from my PA2V2 and I doubt it was enough power to drive them to their max potential.

I say this because I was using my D770's and was somewhat bummed out that although they sounded pretty good, i KNEW that they could sound better. I went and hooked em up to an A/V receiver and it transformed them into everything I wanted them to be. At that second I ordered a Headfive and eagerly await it.

Although when I used them ( before i sold them ) my DT990's seemed bright, im sure that using them with the proper Amp they would have been great. Kinda wish I would have hung onto them to test :\ Oh well!

-Emerson

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JunktionFET /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT

The term "Revealing" comes to mind to describe the Beyer upper lineup of phones; In that they can reveal the components bias if both the amp and source (its DACs) are not warm especially when the material, which is played is most common to be mixed/mastered, produced HOT and compressed meant to be reproduced by mass market reproduction gear and certainly not for refferance grade Hi-Fidelity gears, IE. these hi end headphones; Then better phones for the job are available . The problem is not exclusivly these headphones of Beyers. Proven by the fact that well mixed/mastered audiophile grade LPs sound extrodinary with the same amplifier and DT-880s for instance.
However, if the source and/or music choices are already chosen and wanted to be played, it would be instructive to take this into consideration before selecting these cans, as there are better more "forgiving" choices, IE. the popularity of the Senns hi end lineup.

Good listening~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back