Beyerdynamics DT 880 + What Amp?
Sep 10, 2007 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Corbet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to finally make a huge headphone purchase - the DT 880s. This will be my first Headphone that actually needs an amp to reach it's full potential.

What kind of amp should I be looking for? It doesn't have to be portable and I'm looking to spend $100 - $120. Would a Little Dot Amp fit the bill and drive the DT 880s well? Any other options I should consider?

I wish I woulda picked up a Go-Vibe when they are clearanced.
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 22
Mini3. Easy and the best for the $$ atm. Mister X builds them as well as others here.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 22
For DT880, the 1st choice should be the current Meier's Corda amp product line. You shouldn't be wrong to have it match with Beyer's cans - a definitely proven perfect match.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 22
Xtra X-1 until you have saved up for a Corda 'Move'.

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 22
First of all, Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just bought a pair of DT880's and am in the same boat as the OP, except... dramatic pause...

I already have a Trends UD-10 sitting on my desk feeding a TA-10.1 and some Ascend 170's. I mistakenly bought the UD-10 thinking it was primarily a DAC (it even says so on the front panel), but after reading a few of the threads about it here I now realize it's primarily a great digital transport that can feed a separate DAC.

So... my twist on this is, should I still consider a D1 or Move if I've got the UD-10 as a source?

Also, Is there any way I can feed both my 880's AND my TA-10.1 with the output of these DACs? I think I see how with the D1, but not sure about the Move.

To make things even more interesting, today I found the following DAC/AMP on eBay.

Zhaolu clone on eBay

Someone here mentioned that they thought it was a Zhaolu clone. Should I risk getting that instead? It's so cheap it's scary.

Sigh... this place is starting to really suck my time
cool.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xtra X-1 until you have saved up for any model of Meier Corda Amp.

Fixed that for you
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 22

I'm getting ready to finally make a huge headphone purchase - the DT 880s. This will be my first Headphone that actually needs an amp to reach it's full potential.

What kind of amp should I be looking for? It doesn't have to be portable and I'm looking to spend $100 - $120. Would a Little Dot Amp fit the bill and drive the DT 880s well? Any other options I should consider?

I wish I woulda picked up a Go-Vibe when they are clearanced.
frown.gif

For me dt880 need tube amp, more musical litle dot will good pair for dt880.
Ss amp not good pairing with dt 880

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 22
Spend more.  Woo 3 or M^3.

Btw, what is your source?

Source before amp. 

USG

PS:  Do yourself a favor and buy something that's repaired domestically.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 22
FiiO E9 is just barely over budget at $129 and will drive any headphone under the sun. It can be bought with the E7 for cheaper ($200 for both) if you need a DAC.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 22
Just got my 880's and am now in the market for an amp,

from the small amount of research I've done so far, in terms of a solid state Meier's amp's seem to be a popular choice given that they're designed with Beyer's in mind.

that being said I've also read a ton of posts that swear by DT880 + LD MKIII/IV combo, which is what I'll probably end up going for in the end, I'm drawn to the idea of 
tube amps in general for some reason and well there's just so much positive feedback toward them it seems like a good place to start. Hopefully I'll be able to add
a LD DAC_I into the mix in a couple of months :)

anyway I'm just a noob but this is where my head is at, for the minute anyway!

Edit: lol and then i checked the date...

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
It's still a relevant topic, don't you think?

Yes, I think so.  I started reading it because I wanted to know what amp went well with DT880s.  I may be back in the market for a pair of Beyerdynamics soon.

Conventional wisdom with the Beyers used to be the Audiovalve RKV MKII, which is an OTL tube amp.  http://audiovalve.info/nav/rkv_en.html 

Also Meier amps as someone else suggested.  But they used to have 2 headphone jacks, 0 and 120 ohms, which was on reason they may have paired so well.  Only the top of the line Meier has the 120 ohm output jack now.  T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back