Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,742 of 2,937
Beyond a few hundred dollars, we're talking mainly about FR preferences. There's little to no correlation between price and SQ at any price level accoridng to Sean Olive's research. I've heard most TOTL IEMs and the only ones I'd say were marginally ahead of the Xelentos are the KSE1500/1200. There's still no blowing away there

I mostly agree, though there aren’t many few hundred dollars IEMs that compare to TOTL IEMs. Definitely the law of diminishing returns apply though, and once you hit the $1K price range, anything more seems like a side-grade rather than an upgrade.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,743 of 2,937
I‘m contemplating to trust myself to a DAP, current list has Questyle QP2R or iBasso DX220. No decision yet, I just gathered scattered pros and cons.

I own the Xelento, currently using it with my Hugo 2 and the Xelento stock SE 3.5 mm cable. Want to pair it with the prospective DAP.

1. Could you give your impressions on the Xelento with either DAP?

2. Someone said the QP2R 3.5 mm SE headphone out were lacking a bit of power, but the 2.5 mm balanced out has lots. Just thinking out loud: Could the Xelento be driven balanced? What 2.5 mm cable could you recommend then? I did read here on this thread that the angle/curvature of the MMCX connector on the Xelento drivers is important for seal and avoidance of driver flex. Correct?

Thanks a lot in advance for your experience and recommendations.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #1,744 of 2,937
Xelento with QP2R is fabulous, out of balanced. I would say that the balanced is definitely better, but not by margins seen on some other DAPs(like KANN), as compared to the QP2R. The Effect Audio Ares II+ balanced is a fantastic pairing for the Xelento. The AK TiE balanced cables are decent, while maintaining the ergonomics of the original cable.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #1,745 of 2,937
Xelento with QP2R is fabulous, out of balanced. I would say that the balanced is definitely better, but not by margins seen on some other DAPs(like KANN), as compared to the QP2R. The Effect Audio Ares II+ balanced is a fantastic pairing for the Xelento. The AK TiE balanced cables are decent, while maintaining the ergonomics of the original cable.
Thanks for your recommends! I will remember them whenever I get around to purchase a DAP.

Just to reconfirm my understanding of your wording: Xelento balanced out of QP2R is better by some amount, while it‘s better by a large amount out of other DAPs like KANN. Sorry for asking, my limitations.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #1,746 of 2,937
This would be off topic here, but nevertheless: Are you happy with the UI of the QP2R? Does it work easily to play entire albums from the directory view? Does the wheel work well?

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,747 of 2,937
Thanks for your recommends! I will remember them whenever I get around to purchase a DAP.

Just to reconfirm my understanding of your wording: Xelento balanced out of QP2R is better by some amount, while it‘s better by a large amount out of other DAPs like KANN. Sorry for asking, my limitations.
Your understanding of what I said is correct. Even with the small improvement, I always tend to listen out of the balanced.

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #1,748 of 2,937
This would be off topic here, but nevertheless: Are you happy with the UI of the QP2R? Does it work easily to play entire albums from the directory view? Does the wheel work well?

The UI sucks. No other way around it. I am able to use it as I listen via Folder browsing and a good structure helps to manage the navigation better. The wheel tends to suck really on startup, and once the DAP warms up, it seems to move smoother.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #1,749 of 2,937
The UI sucks. No other way around it. I am able to use it as I listen via Folder browsing and a good structure helps to manage the navigation better. The wheel tends to suck really on startup, and once the DAP warms up, it seems to move smoother.
Thanks for your open words. I was afraid that all I read on the QP2R thread here at head-fi does indeed boil down to just that, although people there - of course - tend to be not as frank as ”just sucks“... I guess the QP2R is a puristic thing, while the iBasso DX220 is more of a high-end toy. Well, I tend to be a purist, too, but I also like a bit of toying. Luckily, in favor of the QP2R, I think to have a good folder structure in my audio library.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,750 of 2,937
Thanks for your open words. I was afraid that all I read on the QP2R thread here at head-fi does indeed boil down to just that, although people there - of course - tend to be not as frank as ”just sucks“... I guess the QP2R is a puristic thing, while the iBasso DX220 is more of a high-end toy. Well, I tend to be a purist, too, but I also like a bit of toying. Luckily, in favor of the QP2R, I think to have a good folder structure in my audio library.
We can take further via PM if you want as it pertains to Qp2r, but any irritation, disappears when music starts. Please ping me via PM, if I can assist you further.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #1,751 of 2,937
I purchased my Xelento about 5 months ago and have had driver flex in both sides from the beginning. Though I don't use them frequently (due to having many IEMs), the driver flex has gotten much worse. I used them this morning while out for a walk, and the driver flex noise occurs on the left side if I open my mouth or move my jaw - and between tracks, I can even hear it with each step while walking. It seems the slightest change in ear pressure causes it (and obviously it loudly occurs when I first put them in, or press on them while in my ears). At this point, they're unusable because of how pervasive the problem is.

For those who have gotten replacements from Beyer, did the driver flex problem come back? How easy is the replacement process?

I wonder if this is a known defect by Beyerdynamic, and if certain batches have the issue (and maybe they've fixed the issue in newer models)?

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,752 of 2,937
can you explain to me is a driver flex.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,753 of 2,937
I purchased my Xelento about 5 months ago and have had driver flex in both sides from the beginning. Though I don't use them frequently (due to having many IEMs), the driver flex has gotten much worse. I used them this morning while out for a walk, and the driver flex noise occurs on the left side if I open my mouth or move my jaw - and between tracks, I can even hear it with each step while walking. It seems the slightest change in ear pressure causes it (and obviously it loudly occurs when I first put them in, or press on them while in my ears). At this point, they're unusable because of how pervasive the problem is.

For those who have gotten replacements from Beyer, did the driver flex problem come back? How easy is the replacement process?

I wonder if this is a known defect by Beyerdynamic, and if certain batches have the issue (and maybe they've fixed the issue in newer models)?

I don't have Xelentos but this sounds like a typical issue with IEMs that are not front vented, have a very thin driver membrane and silicon tips perfectly sealing are used. I don't know if the Xelentos have front vents but if they do this would mean these vents are clogged. If they haven't front vents you've got two solutions, tip roll silicons till you find some that give an acceptable and consistent near perfect seal or use foam tips.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,754 of 2,937
I purchased my Xelento about 5 months ago and have had driver flex in both sides from the beginning. For those who have gotten replacements from Beyer, did the driver flex problem come back? How easy is the replacement process?
Replacement process was super easy—just send Beyer support an email and explain what's going on. In my experience (and in others') they're super responsive and fast. It's been a few months since mine were replaced with a new set, and I have not noticed any flex since then. I noticed flex in the original set every time I put them in regardless of how carefully I did it.
I suspect this is a constant issue with the extremely small manufacturing tolerances in this IEM. It sounds like it's occurred for some folks since the Xelento first came out, and as far as I've experienced, it can still be present with the new Xelento Wireless. That said, between its excellent ergonomics, sound, and support from Beyer, it's a great IEM to take the plunge on.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #1,755 of 2,937
Replacement process was super easy—just send Beyer support an email and explain what's going on. In my experience (and in others') they're super responsive and fast. It's been a few months since mine were replaced with a new set, and I have not noticed any flex since then. I noticed flex in the original set every time I put them in regardless of how carefully I did it.

I suspect this is a constant issue with the extremely small manufacturing tolerances in this IEM. It sounds like it's occurred for some folks since the Xelento first came out, and as far as I've experienced, it can still be present with the new Xelento Wireless. That said, between its excellent ergonomics, sound, and support from Beyer, it's a great IEM to take the plunge on.
I had my Xelentos for all of 4 days when I had to send them in for replacement. From the first insertion I had driver flex on both sides and on the left, the sound would hust cut out due to it. On day 4 The sound left and never came back.... that was 2 weeks ago. They were very quick in issuing an RMA - A week in shipping to them, 10 days in shipping back to me, I should have a new set here Tuesday next week and will post if the new set direct from manufacturer is any different..

As for wireless, instead of getting the Beyer Wireless unit which adds $250 to the price and only supports up to apt HD why not get a Radstone ES100, a BTR3 or the new Shanling UP2. I've got the UP2 and it sounds incredible LDAC is huge leap above aptx HD and is about as close to wired as you'll get while maintaining wireless freedom. I had the the BTR3 and the the Shure BT2, sold them both and couldnt be happier with the UP2. I can plug any 3.5 IEM or speaker cable into it and it also works as USB DAC and it perfect to bring Hi Fidelity into the Car.

On a completely different topic, has anyone here heard the IMR R1 Zenith who can offer some contrast to the Xelento?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back