Headphoneus Supremus
TYGR 300 R
1599252839270.png

Gaming headphones (open)
  • Circumaural open-back headphones
  • Professional and spatial sound for gaming on PC and console
  • High-wearing comfort
  • Made in Germany
The TYGR 300 R is an open-back headphone with true professional sound reinvented for gaming. High wearing comfort and detailed sound create a unique adventure and brings gaming to another level. Hear sounds that you have never experienced before.

For those that enjoy their 'fixed' DT990, the TYGR 300R! Originally only sold in combination with the Fox microphone but nowadays also sold separately.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 107
This one got me by surprise. I really never expected this headphone to be anything special but taming the DT990 treble created this feline headphone that offers a lot of bang for the buck. Some reviews on YouTube:

DMS:

Zeos:

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 107
Don't let the "gaming" branding and marketing fool you. These sound wonderful for music.
I use Amirons for gaming. Why should they used only for music :p

I keep encountering the Tygr and it's been intriguing me. How are the treble and bass? Sibilance or piercing highs?

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 107
I use Amirons for gaming. Why should they used only for music :p

I keep encountering the Tygr and it's been intriguing me. How are the treble and bass? Sibilance or piercing highs?
Compared to the DT990, the bass is surprisingly boomy. Not obnoxiously so, though. The treble is much more relaxed than the typical Beyer spike people are used to. Sibilance isn't really a problem on these cans.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 107
Compared to the DT990, the bass is surprisingly boomy. Not obnoxiously so, though. The treble is much more relaxed than the typical Beyer spike people are used to. Sibilance isn't really a problem on these cans.
Maybe I should give the Tygr a chance. I wanted the 1990 or 1770 before but treble...

Effing autocorrection!!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 107
The TYGR is praised for the width and positioning of the soundstage which is why they can be used as game headphones.
They are also just a plain good pair of headphones for their asking price. I like them more then the DT990 for example, more on the DT880 level.
Yeah, I keep reading the DT990 is an ear-murdering headphone. Bye, not for me :p
I EQ'ed my DT880 and love it. The DT880 is the best than 770 and 990 although I like the bass from the 770 but treble is not really fun, it's not sharp tho.
I'm gonna focus on two headphones, Tygr or T1.3 and Fidelio X3.

I cannot believe I wrote an effing typo in my previous reply! God donut, this duck autocorrection really peaces me off!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 107
If you like deep and present bass, the TYGR might be one for the shortlist!
Watched an episode of Lucifer tonight (the music they used in that series is so awesome) and was happily surprised at just how good these headphones are for these kind of series.
Too bad my ears tough the inside of the cups; which have the extra thick dampening material Beyerdynamic has been starting to use. I believe that the Amiron Wireless is using the same dampening disc:
1599515086781.png

It's not the most comfortable headphone due to that touching.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 107
If you like deep and present bass, the TYGR might be one for the shortlist!
Watched an episode of Lucifer tonight (the music they used in that series is so awesome) and was happily surprised at just how good these headphones are for these kind of series.
Too bad my ears tough the inside of the cups; which have the extra thick dampening material Beyerdynamic has been starting to use. I believe that the Amiron Wireless is using the same dampening disc:

It's not the most comfortable headphone due to that touching.
Hmm, maybe I should get the Fidelio X3 and Tygr and scrape T1.3 :p

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 107
Tried 2 pads I had lying around
- Dekoni hybrid for DT770/880/990 etc
- Dekoni fenestrated for TH900 (same size but a bit angled).

The hybrid pads added a lot of woolly muddy bass and made the overall sound very unpleasant. Comfort was OK though; the pads add a bit of width but also tons of bass, even though the inner side of the pads is fenestrated.
Talking about fenestrated. Using the TH900 pads was a perfect match! It really helps with the comfort while keeping the bass in control. It's still on the heavy side but it's so enjoyable! I'll keep these pads for a while and use them with the TYGR.
TYGR-TH900.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 107
Got these a few days ago, they can be had in germany for 135€ which has to be the bargain of the century :wink: I have owned the DT880 in various variants multiple times but never got happy with them. The DT990 was too treble happy. Now the TYGR sounds how i always wanted the DT880 to sound, pretty cool what Beyerdynamic did here. More impressions at a later point. Only have closed cans here to compare though.

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 107
I recently tried this headphone at a friends place. He also owns the DT990 which the Tyger is based upon.
Well all I can say is that I agree with the folks who find the Tyger warmer - it is - but most definitely NOT in the treble. The new Tyger is a tad more bassy as well as being a wee bit more laidback in the mids...but the treble? Wowza..it’s even more aggressive than the DT990! Ouch.
Folks who are treble sensitive yet still have been lead to believe that this indeed is a “fixed” DT990, look elsewhere:wink:
Also seems to make sense somehow. Most modern cans aimed at the gaming market do so with the promise of increased spatial awareness and other such tomfoolery...yet what that means is basically just a bump in the treble region somewhere around 4-6 k...and wouldn’t you know it? That’s the exact same thing Sennheiser has done with their HD560S.
Yes the new Tyger is warmer than the original DT990..sure thing..but it’s also way more piercing in the upper frequencies. I know many dig this sort of in-ya-face-treble..probably why so many adore the DT1990..and I’m not here to tell anyone that it’s ‘wrong’ or anything of the sort. I strongly believe in individual tastebuds and their right to pick what they choose...nah I’m merely here to warn the treble sensitive people:)

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #15 of 107
I recently tried this headphone at a friends place. He also owns the DT990 which the Tyger is based upon.
Well all I can say is that I agree with the folks who find the Tyger warmer - it is - but most definitely NOT in the treble. The new Tyger is a tad more bassy as well as being a wee bit more laidback in the mids...but the treble? Wowza..it’s even more aggressive than the DT990! Ouch.
Folks who are treble sensitive yet still have been lead to believe that this indeed is a “fixed” DT990, look elsewhere:wink:
Also seems to make sense somehow. Most modern cans aimed at the gaming market do so with the promise of increased spatial awareness and other such tomfoolery...yet what that means is basically just a bump in the treble region somewhere around 4-6 k...and wouldn’t you know it? That’s the exact same thing Sennheiser has done with their HD560S.
Yes the new Tyger is warmer than the original DT990..sure thing..but it’s also way more piercing in the upper frequencies. I know many dig this sort of in-ya-face-treble..probably why so many adore the DT1990..and I’m not here to tell anyone that it’s ‘wrong’ or anything of the sort. I strongly believe in individual tastebuds and their right to pick what they choose...nah I’m merely here to warn the treble sensitive people:)
Well, that’s unfortunate... mine are on their way here... I will see if I come to the same conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back