Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Aug 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #3,736 of 3,971

Quote:
Just to be clear, are you saying that the 650s are not, by a wide margin, HeadFi's reference level headphone?  
USG

Yes I am.

In the price range, I think the HD600, DT880/600 and K701/2 all do a better job of offering a more neutral sound presentation. Now next to the T1 or HD800, it's not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthuang 

To my experiences, DT990 and K702 can exhaust the same "realistic" sound. DT990 is the most transparent in the three , K702 keep its dynamics and lively, HD650 keeps its smooth and vivid, they are all in the same league.

T1/HD800 is indeed different league, simply more "realistic" than above.

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #3,737 of 3,971

Quote:
The HD600 is more transparent than the HD650 as well as the HD565 or the HD580 are. Add IMHO by default.

With the HD 650, Sennheiser has followed the changes in the listening
habits of music-lovers and the way in which they experience
sound. In spite of all purism and the highest demands on precise
sound reproduction, a slight change in listening behaviour is detectable.
Today many music-lovers want to feel the sound more instead
of plainly analysing it. The HD 650 now captivates your senses
where you used to be a mere observer. It allows total submersion
into an ocean of music and lets you completely forget your surroundings.

My take on the Sennheiser manual quote is that listening perceptions change over time.

Sennheiser responded to a change in listening perception with the 650s by giving listeners a more visceral experience.    Now, it seems, that Sennheiser has responded to a further change in listening perception with the 800s,  by giving listeners a more 'holographic' presentation.  This, btw, appears to be a very clever move because it paves the way for a future model that combines the holographic presentation with a visceral experience.

Back on topic, Beyer has done a similar thing by morphing the 880s into the T-1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In response to: ...are you saying that the 650s are not, by a wide margin, HeadFi's reference level headphone?

Yes I am.

In the price range, I think the HD600, DT880/600 and K701/2 all do a better job of offering a more neutral sound presentation. Now next to the T1 or HD800, it's not even close.

I know the 600s but prefer the 650s and my '03 880s are on their 5th pair of ear pads so I'm very familiar with their sound, but I can't agree with you about the 701s. I have them too and I don't know what they do that's good.

Now bring 'price range' into the mix and I'm going to say that the T-1s are overpriced, souped up, 880s.

USG 

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #3,738 of 3,971
Hello all!

I haven't picked up the latest info on this thread but I was wondering if there are any benefits in balancing the T1s?
I have a fully balanced rig and I'd like to know if it is worth balancing the T1s. What kind of connectors are they using? Do they require some hardwiring?
If this has been discussed can someone plese refer me to the appropriate thread?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3,739 of 3,971
So I just finished listening to John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits album and thought through the whole thing...boy this does sound bright. Huh? Even through my tube amp (but also on my SS amp).

I just popped in k.d. Lang's Recollection and back to being slightly warm. So the T1s continue to amaze me on their chameleon nature...I did go back and listen to John "Cougar" Mellencamp's album with my D7000s...warm still, HD800s a bit too bright. But the T1's changed between the two recordings.

I have to conclude that the first one was indeed recorded bright (as the T1s and HD800s confirm, but the D7000s coloured over a bit) and k.d. Lang's album is warm (really warm on the D7000s).

So almost 9 months later and the T1s continue to impress me.
L3000.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #3,740 of 3,971

Quote:
So I just finished listening to John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits album and thought through the whole thing...boy this does sound bright. Huh? Even through my tube amp (but also on my SS amp).

I just popped in k.d. Lang's Recollection and back to being slightly warm. So the T1s continue to amaze me on their chameleon nature...I did go back and listen to John "Cougar" Mellencamp's album with my D7000s...warm still, HD800s a bit too bright. But the T1's changed between the two recordings.

I have to conclude that the first one was indeed recorded bright (as the T1s and HD800s confirm, but the D7000s coloured over a bit) and k.d. Lang's album is warm (really warm on the D7000s).

So almost 9 months later and the T1s continue to impress me.
L3000.gif

You're such a

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3,742 of 3,971

You're such a

However, I've been listening to one of the internet oldies channels tonight, in a nothing to write home about bit rate of 128kbps, and there hasn't been a hint of brightness or sibilance,but there is a slight echo detectable that lets me hear deeper into the music than usual.  The Mids have been right on the money, Peter Paula and Mary were exceptional and so was Elvis.  The bass went deep and clear and the sound stage, even with these old songs was nothing less than tremendous.  Did I say Elvis was exceptional?  He was.  I don't ever think I heard a better rendition of his voice, and I'm not an Elvis fan by a long shot.  The tambourines had that nice old fashioned jingle to them and drums sounded damn good for stuff that was recorded before Lincoln was president.  I'm listening to a song called 'The Great Pretender' and the lead singer sounds like he's in the room with me........  gotta hand it to 181FM for their sound processing equipment......  and of course, the T-1s for being able to make the most of it.

USG

biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #3,743 of 3,971

Quote:
However, I've been listening to one of the internet oldies channels tonight, in a nothing to write home about bit rate of 128kbps, and there hasn't been a hint of brightness or sibilance,but there is a slight echo detectable that lets me hear deeper into the music than usual.  The Mids have been right on the money, Peter Paula and Mary were exceptional and so was Elvis.  The bass went deep and clear and the sound stage, even with these old songs was nothing less than tremendous.  Did I say Elvis was exceptional?  He was.  I don't ever think I heard a better rendition of his voice, and I'm not an Elvis fan by a long shot.  The tambourines had that nice old fashioned jingle to them and drums sounded damn good for stuff that was recorded before Lincoln was president.  I'm listening to a song called 'The Great Pretender' and the lead singer sounds like he's in the room with me........  gotta hand it to 181FM for their sound processing equipment......  and of course, the T-1s for being able to make the most of it.

USG

biggrin.gif

I think you might becoming a:

wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #3,744 of 3,971

Quote:
I think you might becoming a:

wink_face.gif

Nah, my old 650s would have probably done a better job, 
wink.gif
,  but it was sure fun hearing those old 2 dimensional monaural  songs in 3D stereo.  I'd like to know what they processes their music with.  It sounded like an industrial version of something like an Aphex Aural Exciter.

USG

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #3,745 of 3,971

Quote:
wink.gif
,  but it was sure fun hearing those old 2 dimensional monaural  songs in 3D stereo.  I'd like to know what they processes their music with.  It sounded like an industrial version of something like an Aphex Aural Exciter.

USG

The Aphex doesn't effect the spatial aspect AFAIK but there are plenty of processors that do.

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #3,746 of 3,971

Quote:
wink.gif

USG

The reason because it was 128kps radio...the HD650s would hide so much more (like the treble).
wink.gif

Seriously, the T1s, HD800, etc...need a great source, dac, amp, etc....They really show weak areas in your system. I found that with them I found a bit too much "bloom" with my tube amp (only heard on my T1s and HD800s). So I did have to change my interconnects to silver to better tune my rig.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #3,747 of 3,971

Quote:
FWIW, I'm keeping my D7000s too. It's always great to have a fun bassy headphone around in one's collection.

Not to mention, one that is so damn purty and sexy looking!

I had the HD600's since inception and was never really a fan. I know the 880's have their faults, but always prefer my '06 (pre-change) 880's a more enjoyable experience, wobbly bass and all. 
I have had the R-10's since the second batch came out and they are still my favorite dynamic, and I sold my HD800's due to hard times (they fetched more than my T-1's) but, boy am I glad I got in on the T-1's before the price increase.

The way I look at it, as a mature adult who used to spend a lot of money on audio recklessly before wifey's 16 month unemployment, 
if you really like a headphone, and are fortunate enough to afford a high priced headphone, then go for it. If you really have a limited
budget, then you have a very difficult task, and that is one of picking the "right" headphone for you, that will make you the happiest.
Every headphone has many pros and cons, and the thrill of the chase can only be enjoyed by those with expendable cash.
But, one of the greatest things about Head-Fi, is that with the free "For Sale" forums, you can buy and sell, without fear of taking a big loss, until you find a pair that really can make you happy for awhile.
My JH-13's occupy my ears 70% of the time because I travel so much, but you know what? The are probably the best headphones that I own. Take away the visceral aspect and the reproduction and personal experience is one that can't be touched.
I'm listening to Radiohead's "In Rainbows"as I write this, with my iMod and a hacked version of a Xin (god bless his sole) Reference,
and although they are slightly underpowered, I'm having a pretty good T-1 listening session. Also, "In Rainbows" is a less than stellar recording any way, so I take it with a grain of salt.
When I was an active professional reviewer, I wrote an article on the 701's and besides the lack of "wow" factor, and the insane headaches that I got from the ridiculous headband (because I had to max them out, due to my "ear to top of the head" ratio") the
one thing that the 701's had going for them, was layers of detail. But like the O2's, they are too polite for me. I need a speaker and
a headphone that will knock my socks off (like that great Maxell commercial from the '70's-80's, and the 701's just don't make my hair blow backwards.
For anyone that is interested, here is my old article:

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #3,748 of 3,971

Quote:
The reason because it was 128kps radio...the HD650s would hide so much more (like the treble).
wink.gif

Seriously, the T1s, HD800, etc...need a great source, dac, amp, etc....They really show weak areas in your system. I found that with them I found a bit too much "bloom" with my tube amp (only heard on my T1s and HD800s). So I did have to change my interconnects to silver to better tune my rig.

I think listening preferences are key here. USG's equipment is pretty damn good...certainly some of the best components available in the price range.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #3,749 of 3,971

Quote:
wink.gif

I know what you mean about 128kps radio, but this was a really good listen.  No bloom, no brightness, no sibilance, no artifacts and a lot of depth. Bass was not 650 bass, but it was sufficient and well articulated.  Over all I would have to say the sound was very balanced.

Now for some modern music on Radio Paradise....Who else plays Zooey and Matt? 

Gotta love internet radio!

Quote:
The Aphex doesn't effect the spatial aspect AFAIK but there are plenty of processors that do.

I don't know exactly what they were using, but it sure was effective.
dt880smile.png

Quote:

Thanks for the article Aaron.  You have an effective way of explaining what you hear. 

USG

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #3,750 of 3,971

Quote:
I think listening preferences are key here. USG's equipment is pretty damn good...certainly some of the best components available in the price range.

I don't think it was a listening preference.  That was a 'good' source.... I've heard some 128kbps channels that were unlistenable and some 320kbps channels that weren't much better.  What ever was going on, the T-1s liked it.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back