Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Aug 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #3,661 of 3,971
In the thread about T5p is presented the message by serious person from Beyerdynamic USA. There is comparing between T1 and T5p, so I am sending the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/499215/beyerdynamic-t5p-photos-and-first-impressions/105#post_6847653

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #3,662 of 3,971

Quote:

Peter have you tried any GE5751. I used them in my CJ amp and found them to be very nice tubes and now they are in great demand. I believe my T1 sounds right. I would say the Denon is warmer or what some might say a little dark. I think the T1 just sounds very natural to me on both the tube and ss amps I have. Better with 6Dj8 than the 6922 but I seem to be getting some poor 6DJ8 and I will order from my ols reliable tube dealer and I also have some new EH6922 coming.The denon sound really good with the 6922 and the T1 better with the 6Dj8.

Hi Frank:

I am lucky to also have the GE 5751 5 Star NOS. I like it a whole lot too, but I haven't really given it the proper attention with my T1s. Thanks for the recommendation...something to try tonight after the kids to go bed.

I completely agree that the D7000s are quite a bit warmer than the T1s. The T1s are very natural IMO and very slightly on the warm side of neutral (which is actually how I prefer it). To date I have not heard anything more natural/musical. I was surprised on how nice they also sounded with the Headroom Micro Amp, but in the end I still prefer tubes with these high impedance cans (having also tried them on a B22 and GLite).

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #3,663 of 3,971

Quote:
Hi guys!

I just love my T1 every day more. And now with Concerto they sound even better. But i have one question. About cable. As i read somewhere the stock cable on the T1 is one of the best stock cables on any phone?
But i have question if changing cable would make big difference? I could change it myself because i know how to solder and i think i am good at it.
So i read 6moon review of T1. And they were recabled with ALO audio cable. So i am interested in this cable. But i am not really sure if they sell just cable.
It would be easier for me if cable would have already plug and be prepared only to solder on phones. Is this possilble. Do someone have experience on this?
Does ALO sell just cable for T1? As far i can see they sell only recabled T1.
Is there another option? In any case i would like to get prepared cable with plug already on it.

And the most important thing. Is difference BIG or is small. I mean i need your opinnion guys. Is it worth getting recable T1? Because if difference is not so big then i dont know... 

What do you think guys?

Hi ElephantTLK,

Congratulations on getting your hands on the Meier Concerto! (I saw your post in Skylab's review of the Concerto thread, advising you had placed an order for the Concerto).

Since your signature states you have the Darkvoice 336, I would like to ask you for your impressions of the T1 with the Concerto Vs. the 336? I'm very close to buying the T1 and the Concerto (along with the Meier StageDAC) as my first serious foray into head-fi. The only hesitation I have is that there are a number of posts in this thread (the T1 thread) advising the T1 is best paired with tubes, and it's these comments which are putting a slight doubt about the T1 and Concerto pairing in my mind.

I appreciate the sound signature of tubes vs. solid state is different and a matter of taste. The question I have though, is, given the T1 is high impedance, and high impedance headphones tend to benefit from the higher voltage tube amps are typically able to provide (at least according to my understanding), is the Concerto really able to drive the T1 to it's absolute best?

High quality tube amps are very expensive, especially to me as I'm based in the UK and most are made in the USA, so shipping costs and tax make them even more expensive. This is my primary reason for wanting to go with solid-state for the T1.

If you - or anyone else for that matter - are able to give any impressions RE the above I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #3,664 of 3,971
I have the T1 and my SS Matrix plays them real well but my CSP2 really takes them up to where they are truly reference quality. I could never imagine without ever being without a tube amp again. The other thing about my tube setup is there is no fatigue. It very musical and image and sound stage better plus tone of instruments and voice. Truly IMO amazing

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #3,665 of 3,971

Quote:
I have the T1 and my SS Matrix plays them real well but my CSP2 really takes them up to where they are truly reference quality. I could never imagine without ever being without a tube amp again. The other thing about my tube setup is there is no fatigue. It very musical and image and sound stage better plus tone of instruments and voice. Truly IMO amazing

Thanks for your impressions Frank I. I've looked into the CSP2 as I've read other comments that it's a good match for the T1 - it's also a beautiful looking bit of kit!

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #3,666 of 3,971
man, i can't wait for the valhalla OTL impressions with the T1...
heck, i'm thinkin' about just buying it, even before skylab and others have their say... 
popcorn.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #3,667 of 3,971
I've succumbed! - I'm now a happy new T1 owner. 
smile.gif

I hadn't really intended on pulling the trigger quite so quickly, but upon discovering an NIB pair for sale at the price I wanted to pay from a Head-fier here in my own town - thereby enabling a face-to-face transaction.... what else could I do?? (Thanks, Radio_head!)

And from my initial impressions, the T1s are exactly what I was looking for. I really like the 880s and 990s (for different reasons), but the T1s seem to take the best of both, and then leap to a whole new level!

One of the things I was looking for was a certain kind of bass representation that would be similar to that of the 880s, but with a lot more presence, and a lot more on the bottom. It's all very hard to define these things in words, but from my initial listening, the bass of the T1 really nails it for me.

So, I have to thank all of you here for your shared experiences with these and other phones.

(My wallet, on the other hand, has compiled a Ten Most Wanted list featuring the names of a number of you here
wink_face.gif
 )

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #3,669 of 3,971

Quote:
i guess i'm on that list. 
biggrin.gif

congrats on the T1 acquisition! 
beerchug.gif

they have been bringing me lots of joy.  hope they do you as well...

LOL! Indeed you are 
wink_face.gif

And thanks - I think I've found audio nirvana 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #3,671 of 3,971

Quote:
LOL! Indeed you are 
wink_face.gif

And thanks - I think I've found audio nirvana 
biggrin.gif

Congratulations!

About 10 months now and I still absolutely love them....still the king of the heap for me!

What amp are you using to drive them?

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #3,672 of 3,971

Quote:
Congratulations!

About 10 months now and I still absolutely love them....still the king of the heap for me!

What amp are you using to drive them?

Thanks, MH!

I'm driving them with an iDecco. It has a great DAC feeding into its own headphone amp circuit. I guess you'd classify it as a hybrid - it has a 6N1P tube in it, but I'm not really sure what role it plays in the headphone circuit. I'm afraid I don't understand all the underlying topologies of amp design - or this one in particular.

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #3,673 of 3,971

Quote:

Thanks, MH!

I'm driving them with an iDecco. It has a great DAC feeding into its own headphone amp circuit. I guess you'd classify it as a hybrid - it has a 6N1P tube in it, but I'm not really sure what role it plays in the headphone circuit. I'm afraid I don't understand all the underlying topologies of amp design - or this one in particular.

I've wanted to hear the Peachtree. It does look like some serious gear and a good match for your T1s. I would give them about 48 hours of burn in before making any critical judgments.

Cheers.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #3,674 of 3,971
MH-

No critical judgements here- treble was a little hot at first last night, but I expected that. And it's already tamed considerably. From here out, I'll just enjoy the ride :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #3,675 of 3,971
I know my thoughts will get lost in this huge thread, but I'll post a little bit about the Beyer T1 that I heard at the Colorado meet today.  I tried them on Asr's Ayre QB-9 > Beta 22 and my PWD > ZDT amp.

It was a nice sounding headphone, but nothing spectacular.  It seemed a little laid back and not hugely dynamic, but they didn't seem hard to drive.  With both the HD800 and T1 connected to the ZDT amp at the same time the volume levels were similar and normal listening was with the volume knob at about 10 o'clock (similar to the LCD-2).  In contrast, the HE-5 LE needed the volume knob at about 11 o'clock, and the HE-6 at about 2 o'clock for similar levels.  The sound didn't change when listening with one phone and plugging the other in and out. The T1 seemed to wake up if the volume was cranked up a bit more, but I still preferred the other phones above to the T1.

Soundstage was not small, nor huge, but still smaller than the HD800 or LCD-2 and about the same as the HE-5 LE.  Their frequency response seemed pretty level, without significant peaks and troughs.  But they seemed to lack energy and excitement, being more polite sounding end of the scale.  The HD800 were slightly more forward sounding, a bit more spacious, and a bit more engaging to me.  Bass seemed similar between the two, and neither is lacking nor boosted.  There might have been a tad more sparkle in the upper treble with the T1.  With the Warren Audio double helix cable and ZDT amp, the HD800 are nicely balanced as well, and one person commented that my rig was the best he's heard the HD800 perform, and prior to today he didn't like them.  So, some others who have compared the T1 and HD800 may not agree with my thoughts here, but in my case my re-cabled HD800 have good synergy with my Perfectwave DAC and ZDT amp.  I do almost all my HD800 listening with that rig, even though I have many DACs and amps to choose from.

If I had to live with the T1 I could do it, but at times I might get bored listening to them.  They don't do anything in particular wrong, but they just don't get me excited about the music.  After a break from them (listened on my rig) I tried them again later on Asr's rig, and they still didn't do anything for me on an emotional level.  It was kinda the same way with the Grado RS-2 or AD-2000 for me, where I just didn't get emotionally involved in the music was much as I would have liked.  So, I've removed the T1 from my "would like to buy someday" list, even though they are not a bad headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back