Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Mar 13, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #2,401 of 3,971
If it is any consolation, the DT880s sound better than the T1 on some of my older music. For instance, I listened to Back In Black by AC/DC a few minutes ago and it did not sound all that good with the T1. I switched to the 880 and it rocked, more musical. But on my newer, better recorded CDs, the T1 seems to win every time.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #2,402 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A tube amp is recommended for a reason, but from what I understand a decent SS amp should power them very well.

Seaman you must listen at VERY high volume if you're listening that high on a tube amp O_o I've spoken with a few people who listen at 11-12 o'clock on lower end SS amps who say it is almost too loud at times.

But yeah I'd say a balanced SS amp or a tube amp would be optimal for T1s even if they are very efficient, just from what I've heard from others.

I use my tube amp at 1 o'clock for both my HD800s and T1s. Same volume...more or less.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #2,403 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the 600ohm though
tongue.gif
I know this won't make them too much closer to the T1, but the 600ohm DT880 seems to be a lot better and fix the flaws of the 250ohm model.

I understand the DT880 600ohm eliminates the muddy sound. Also, I have heard it cuts down on the annoying 8KHz hump with my 250ohms. You might not see the same benefits from buying the T1 that I see. Note: The T1 also has a noticeable 8K hump, although not quite as big/wide.

On a side note, the T1 sound stage may not be as big as the Senn HD800, but as I sit here with my T1 playing Hot and Cold by Katy Perry from the Grammy Nominees CD, I swear I keep hear my wife calling. I have paused the CD 3 times only for her to tell me she did not say a word to me.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #2,404 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, the T1 sound stage may not be as big as the Senn HD800, but as I sit here with my T1 playing Hot and Cold by Katy Perry from the Grammy Nominees CD, I swear I keep hear my wife calling. I have paused the CD 3 times only for her to tell me she did not say a word to me.

I would say that they have about 80% of the sound stage of the HD800s. Not a slam dunk in this area by any means.
beyersmile.png

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #2,406 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is any consolation, the DT880s sound better than the T1 on some of my older music. For instance, I listened to Back In Black by AC/DC a few minutes ago and it did not sound all that good with the T1. I switched to the 880 and it rocked, more musical. But on my newer, better recorded CDs, the T1 seems to win every time.

CORRECTION: I changed my mind. I had the T1s pushed too far forward on my head and part of the treble was missing (chair pillow push). The T1 is extremely sensitive to location on my head. When centered or pushed slightly back into position, the T1s sound better with everything, old and new!

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #2,407 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my tube amp at 1 o'clock for both my HD800s and T1s. Same volume...more or less.
biggrin.gif

It's pretty clear to me that the hd800 is louder at the same power level, my sound meter says the same
wink.gif
louder cans tends to sound better so I think it's pretty important to put cans at the same sound level.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2,408 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty clear to me that the hd800 is louder at the same power level, my sound meter says the same
wink.gif

On a tube amp this may be different – depending on the output impedance.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2,409 of 3,971
Maybe. I only have ss and hybrid amp here to test unfortunately
frown.gif
. Oh well if I m not too lazy ill go check on my friend tube amp later.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2,410 of 3,971
Quote:

wink.gif
louder cans tends to sound better so I think it's pretty important to put cans at the same sound level.

My point was that on a tube amp they were pretty close to the same volume.
wink.gif

High impedance cans need more voltage than current to power them and this is where tubes excel over SS amps.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #2,411 of 3,971
Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood your comment
beerchug.gif

Just not to scare people with ss amp away from the T1 though, I' ll just add that they are still perfectly usable on ss amp, I' m using them at 20% volume on 840c > rpx-33 .

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #2,412 of 3,971
Quote:

Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood your comment
beerchug.gif

Just not to scare people with ss amp away from the T1 though, I' ll just add that they are still perfectly usable on ss amp, I' m using them at 20% volume on 840c > rpx-33 .

Absolutely, they do sound very good out of the SS amps that I've heard them with too.
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2,413 of 3,971
Quote:

My point was that on a tube amp they were pretty close to the same volume.
wink.gif

High impedance cans need more voltage than current to power them and this is where tubes excel over SS amps.

You should still be careful. I remember seeing an article somewhere in SS that claimed even 1-2 dB of volume difference can greatly affect subjective perception (1-2 dB is barely noticeable)

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2,414 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should still be careful. I remember seeing an article somewhere in SS that claimed even 1-2 dB of volume difference can greatly affect subjective perception (1-2 dB is barely noticeable)

1dB by definition is the smallest audible change in volume that the human ear can detect. FWIW
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #2,415 of 3,971
Quote:

1dB by definition is the smallest audible change in volume that the human ear can detect. FWIW
beerchug.gif

no... that's completely false. 1 dB is a logarithmic measure of sound pressure. In my experience, most people won't consciously notice a change in volume unless you increase by 3-5 dB. if you use foobar, try it using their built in double blind tester (make an EQ with +3 db in all frequencies)

However, that same 5 dB or so is actually increasing the loudness of your music by close to a factor of 2. It will absolutely affect your subjective impressions of sound quality whether you consciously notice the volume increase or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back