beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Aug 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #977 of 1,963
I've been enjoying the hell out of my T5ps for a month now, but I think it's time for a better at-home amp than my precious little Fiio E17

I've figured a few things out looking back through the myriad pages of this thread, but still need some advice.  Someone mentioned these headphones like tubes, so I looked at the Schiit Lyr, but 6 watts of output at 32 ohms sounds terrifying (or perhaps explodifying).  So perhaps the Valhalla?  I also see the Woo WA3 looks pretty good.  Woo's website recommends any and all of their amps for the T5p, though I'm not sure how much faith to give that...

What do you guys think?  Tubey amp for ~$500 or less?  Tubes at all?  Also, I have a DAC already (M-Audio profire) that should suffice at this level, as far as I know.  I'm no electrical engineer.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #979 of 1,963
T5p are great with tubes I think. But I have never been enough into tubes myself. I have found that a true CLASS-A amplifier makes the T5p shine more than OPAMP based amplifiers. It could also just be that class-A amplfiers in general sound better but they tend to make the things I like about the T5p even better - punch, definition, rythm and pace, soundstage. The Heed Canalot is a great example that I think sounds wery good with the T5p.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #980 of 1,963
Quote:
T5p are great with tubes I think. But I have never been enough into tubes myself. I have found that a true CLASS-A amplifier makes the T5p shine more than OPAMP based amplifiers. It could also just be that class-A amplfiers in general sound better but they tend to make the things I like about the T5p even better - punch, definition, rythm and pace, soundstage. The Heed Canalot is a great example that I think sounds wery good with the T5p.

I agree. I would get a Meier amp if I were lookking for a good at-home solution. I have a Classic and it sounds great with T5ps as well as T1s.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #981 of 1,963
Meier Classic should be very competitive with the WA7, better transparency, lower frequency quality? I believe WA7 will come as a amplifier only model, could be more appropriate then. I think I would prefer the Classic over all.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #982 of 1,963
Passed the 300 mark today, paired it with the new pocket rocket quickstep. Pairing is great, makes me thing if it sounds this good with opamp based amp how good will it sound with A class amps? But than again why ruin the magic?

@rasmushorn:  Can you post some picture of your AHA-120 against some known devices if you ever get the chance, I want to know how large it is, cheers. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #983 of 1,963
The Meier Classic is starting to win me over, based on everything I've read.  However, it outputs 3.2W at 30 ohms?  Can the T5p handle that?

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #984 of 1,963
Quote:
@rasmushorn:  Can you post some picture of your AHA-120 against some known devices if you ever get the chance, I want to know how large it is, cheers. 

I posted some pictures in the Quickstep thread in order not to take away focus from the T5p thread: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-quickstep-also-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2535#post_9758665

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #985 of 1,963
Quote:
The Meier Classic is starting to win me over, based on everything I've read.  However, it outputs 3.2W at 30 ohms?  Can the T5p handle that?

Meiers amps are often recommended for Beyerdynamic headphones, so I guess the pairing might suit you.
Even if the Classic offers up to 3.2W @30Ohm -- you don't have to drive them full force (which the T5p might consider not that funny, given their 300mW max power spec). The Classic seems to offer a possibility to change the gain, so it should work with sensitive headphones like the T5p.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #986 of 1,963
Hi has anyone tried T5p compare between these three amp? Quickstep, ALO Continental v3 and Ray Samuel SR71b

Which is shine the T5p best. I owned headstage arrow 4g paired with CLAS but gonna get quickstep by tomorrow. I am just curious about these three amp in comparison based on T5p.

Thank you headfiers!

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #987 of 1,963
I still had the 71B when I got my T5P's and it is a lovely match for them. I also owned a Stepdance and from memory, lovely amp that it is I would think it a little too lean for these but it was a while ago so take that thought with a pinch of salt and I love Jan's amps. And by the way. I would also seriously look at Analog Squared Papers new TU-06 hybrid tube amp. It is much smaller than my TU-05 and by all accounts is a really lovely amp. My TU-05 is beating amps double if not more of the price in terms of sonics and it looks like the 06' is going the same way!

Tubes and this headphone are made for each other I feel!

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #988 of 1,963
I've been enjoying the hell out of my T5ps for a month now, but I think it's time for a better at-home amp than my precious little Fiio E17

I've figured a few things out looking back through the myriad pages of this thread, but still need some advice.  Someone mentioned these headphones like tubes, so I looked at the Schiit Lyr, but 6 watts of output at 32 ohms sounds terrifying (or perhaps explodifying).  So perhaps the Valhalla?  I also see the Woo WA3 looks pretty good.  Woo's website recommends any and all of their amps for the T5p, though I'm not sure how much faith to give that...

What do you guys think?  Tubey amp for ~$500 or less?  Tubes at all?  Also, I have a DAC already (M-Audio profire) that should suffice at this level, as far as I know.  I'm no electrical engineer.

Definitely skip the Lyr. I tried it with the T5p for ish and giggles and it was pretty bad, lots of noise, etc. AMB M^3 sounds pretty good, although I wish it was just a touch brighter. I've heard great things about the Classic, and as well as the PCSTEP pairs with the T5p I can only imagine what the Classic could do with them.

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #989 of 1,963
Any of you tried a vintage amp (something like a Pioneer or Kenwood) through the headphone jack with these?

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #990 of 1,963
bought the yulong d100, arriving next week... should i get a seperate amp or use the output from d100? i am considering meier concerto/classic, m^3, ASP TU-06, do you guys think its necessary to get a seperate amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back