beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Aug 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #961 of 1,963
@AJHEADFI what are your impressions with the HM901?? Was the audition unit with anakchan std amp or balanced amp? Is your t5p modded? Sorry for bombarding with so questions at once, but just got my t5p and listen with my fiio x3 and e07, and i got to say my ears are bleeding on excessive brightness and harshness on the highs. But it is definitely a huge step up from my previous hd598, hd598 seems very veiled in comparison and t5p just does much more better in alot of things. Do you think the hm901 is the solution-in-one-box (I am planning to get the std amp version as i am using stock cable)? Very much appreciate for your insights. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #962 of 1,963
Not the 901 but as my amp is back in Japan for modification I have been listening directly out of my 801 and have been very pleasantly surprised by it. Lovely organic sound, detailed yet rich the T5P's work really well directly out of the 801.

As of Thursday I will be able to tell you what they sound like out of the AK120 as well :wink: :D

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #965 of 1,963
Quote:

One experience T5p user from HeadFi has found the V200 undesirable with the T5p when compared to Meier Audio amps. To compensate for brightness when using your HP-P1 and T5p you could employ the equaliser on the iDevice. T5p/HP-P1 is sensitive to bright or hot recordings.

I can confirm that - to my ears at least. A lot of people using HD800 like the V200 and they find that they pair well. The V200 is supposed to bring some weight and punch into the HD800 bass. I thought that the T5p - also being a bright headphone - would pair well with the V200. I heard the T5p + V200 at a meet and to be honest I have never heard a combination that made the T5p sound so shrill and thin and somehow destroyed the resolution and imaging. The treble became sharp and it took away all the things I like about the T5p. But of course it depends on what you like. I prefer to EMPHASIZE the strenghts of the T5p and to pair it with more analytical/neutral sources and amplifiers because I can never get enough definition and resolution. 

To my ears the T5p(and Grados when I had the SR-325, GS-1000 and HF2) sounds best with Class-A amplifiers. Somehow class-A always sounds the best with low impedance headphones. So at the moment I enjoy the Just Audio AHA-120 very much with my T5p. It gives it  great punch and slam and keeps the treble edgy and resoluted. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #966 of 1,963
My quick impression was the 901 is open, transparent and detail rich. The AK120 was not quite as detailed but had a little more warmth. I preferred the 901 in the moment, but the AK120 over time may be more appealing than the 901. I used a stock, well used T5p. If you listen to acoustic recordings, T5p is very nice, both DAP units will provide a display some of the potential of the T5p. Certainly try it out with your own music, as one size does not fit all here.

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #967 of 1,963
Seems that the T5p is quite a picky headphone in terms of system matching, which is counter-intuitive to its being marketed as a portable flagship.  This no doubt explains its relative lack of popularity on Headfi.

The HP-P1 with increased gain and EQ on the bass is getting there for me.  

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #968 of 1,963
Quote:
My quick impression was the 901 is open, transparent and detail rich. The AK120 was not quite as detailed but had a little more warmth. I preferred the 901 in the moment, but the AK120 over time may be more appealing than the 901. I used a stock, well used T5p. If you listen to acoustic recordings, T5p is very nice, both DAP units will provide a display some of the potential of the T5p. Certainly try it out with your own music, as one size does not fit all here.

Thks for the insights. another question, is the pairing with hm901 bright by any means? Cause i had bad experiences with the E07 and X3. They sounded very harsh up top and i couldn't really continue listening as they were literally piercing my ears :frowning2:

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #971 of 1,963
guys have some dilemma and hope you can help solve it. I planning to upgrade gear for the t5p but i am in a dilemma whether to upgrade source or amplication. i currently only have fiiox3 as source.

I am looking at these 2 options:
selloff my X3 ---> HM901+t5p
keep my X3 ----> X3+Analog Square paper tur-06+t5p

Which is better and what are the pros and cons? Any other suggestions is also welcome. Tq very much 
beerchug.gif

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #972 of 1,963
i would go with hm901 plus t5p. From my finding source is very important for t5p and hm901 should have more than enough power to handle the t5p. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #975 of 1,963
The TU-05 is very nice, but you need the source quality to enjoy it. HM901 is the way to go at this time, then maybe add a TU-05 to that later on.

I agree with AJ, get the source first then the amp. I can't speak for the 901 but the T5P sounds really good direct out of my AK120. The ASP amps are something very special though (I am biased though :D) and the T5P/ASP and decent source is just the most musically involving experience you could imagine. Mine is being upgraded and though I am fine with just the AK120 whilst it is away I do miss the amp greatly for all that it brings to the table in terms of refinement, soundstage, detail and musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back