beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #586 of 1,963
Quote:
Quote:
What I can think right now for the pad difference is because the different batch, I'm not sure though.

But when we look from the packaging, then the early T5p indeed have different package compare to latest batch.

That's what I was thinking, however they did come in the same package - the one with the metal travel case and fabric carry bag (neither came with the old portable carry case that it came with when first released). So if it is a batch number thing then there must have been a revision somewhere along the way, either that or one of mine slipped through Beyers quality control!

beyerdynamic T 5 p has so far been manufactured in two different versions.

The product page says:

Quote:
Supplied accessories:
• gold plated Neutrik mini stereo jack plug (3.5 mm)
• 1/4" adaptor (6.35 mm)
• in-flight adapter 2 x 3.5 mm
• extension cable 3 m
New version supplied with:
• transportation bag
• aluminium storage case

beyerdynamic Technical Support wrote this in an e-mail:

Quote:
The former version of T 5 p (art.no. 714135) was supplied with a felt pouch. The new version (art.no. 715301) is supplied with a fabric pouch and an aluminium storage case. We also made some improvements on the cable for the new version. However, the audio performance is the same with both versions.

I orginally wrote this information in "beyerdynamic T 5 p: To versjoner".

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #587 of 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's interesting, because the pads on my Jaben ones are totally different to the ones on my regular T5p. Maybe Beyer changed out the pads at some stage?

Quote:
Quote:
Huh... That's pretty weird. Any chance you could post pics comparing the two? 

It's mostly the feel, my original T5p has super soft pads, the Jaben ones are really firm. The original ones have a slightly different lustre too, the Jaben ones look much more matte. Will do pics when I get the chance.

I received my beyerdynamic T 5 p in January 2013 after waiting more than two months for beyerdynamic to deliver. I hence belive it's representative of current production.

Initially the earpads seemed a bit hard like on my older T 1, but as early as during listening the first evening they seemed to soften, and have since stayed supple. Both earpads and headband padding are supple and sufficiently thick to make a comfortable headphone. It's more comfortable than my T 1.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #588 of 1,963
Feb 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #590 of 1,963
I've been listening to beyerdynamic T 5 p + Lynx Hilo this evening. Source is a PC with foobar2000 running with replaygain album prevent clipping and -3 dB connected with USB. Phones output -72.0 dB on Lynx Hilo.

It's readily possible to fall asleep while listening to this.

I was again reminded of something I've both said and written before. You can choose to listen to and enjoy whats there, or you can listen in vain for whats not. This is definitely true for the T 5 p. There are better headphones, as Jude Mansilla wrote, and hence you may miss this or that, but its qualities are good enough that you can choose to enjoy them and forget, or at least not think (too much), about the rest.

I've experienced the same, though to a lesser degree, with Denon AH-D7000 + Grace Design m903. It's one of my favourite combinations with some very good and possibly even unique qualities, but there are a few headphones that are technically even better like beyerdynamic T 1, Sennheiser HD 800 and STAX SR-009. Sennheiser HD 650 seems to have similar qualities, good enough to forget about the rest and enjoy what you get.

You may experience something similar, though not the same, with a compact monitor loudspeaker like the Spendor SA1. It's very good, but the bass roll off a bit early. On some recordings you don't miss much, but on others you do. Again you can choose to listen to and enjoy whats there, or you can listen in vain for whats not. One might end up playing some recordings and (mostly) pass on others.

The cable on beyerdynamic T 5 p seems to be more microphonic than I would prefer.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #591 of 1,963
Great impressions. I may end  up having to bite the bullet and snag a Hilo before it's over with... It's calling to me :wink:

I know what you mean about the enjoyability of the sound on the T5p. Interestingly, I wouldn't compare it with the 650s (which I have and don't really care for that much-- too veiled and muffled sounding for my tastes), but with a more treble-focused and edgy (in a good way) LCD-2.1, at least from a musicality perspective (if not much else sonically). You have the option of really listening into the music and going incredibly deep into the details of the sound-- or just laying back and letting the music wash over you without any additional deliberation or attention required. Really remarkable cans, in my humble opinion. 

By way of a quick update on my previous impressions, I've got to say that I was wrong about the bass on these-- and I think I know why: if you listen to these with damn near any real noise going on around you, the bass just disappears. Evaporates into thin air. Damnest thing I've ever seen... But when you listen in a quiet environment, the bass becomes incredibly present, detailed, visceral, and there. I've been listening to Massive Attack's 100th Window every night as I go to sleep, and they are just incredible with how they handle the bass on those tracks. I can just feel myself melt into the music, and it's just... amazing. Beautiful and engaging beyond all words. (I think I've inculcated a Pavlovian conditioning in myself now that's strong enough to put me in a near-coma after the first 10 seconds of 'Future Proof'). 

Also, I've been playing around with three different sets of ear pads (stock, JMoney, and clear gel Beyers), and these definitely have a noticeable impact on the sound. The gels were best for bass and isolation, but not as good as the others for comfort. I'll write more when I have more time. 

Keep these great impressions coming in, guys. We need to let the world know how truly exceptional these babies are :wink:

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #592 of 1,963
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #593 of 1,963
Quote:
+1 thanks for the review, dont forget to post back after some "burn-in" :wink:

Are you a fellow T5p-er too, or just have an interest? :)

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #594 of 1,963
Quote:
Quote:
quote.gif

My early impressions of beyerdynamic T 5 p:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630792/beyerdynamic-t5p-vs-ultrasone-signature-pro/45#post_9141373

+1 thanks for the review, dont forget to post back after some "burn-in" :wink:

The T 5 p has been running in for several weeks, and I had planned to stop last weekend after more than 500 hours, but other things happened, and last evening it passed 650 hours before I started listening. It's been running in with the chain described in post #590 playing music, but with Phones output -51.0 dB on Lynx Hilo.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #595 of 1,963
Quote:
Great impressions. I may end  up having to bite the bullet and snag a Hilo before it's over with... It's calling to me :wink:

I thought a bit about crosslinking to post #590 in one of the Lynx Hilo threads, but concluded that it is predominantly about the beyerdynamic T 5 p. Fully exploring the qualities of Lynx Hilo probably should be done with other headphones (ie. tools) anyway.

Quote:

I know what you mean about the enjoyability of the sound on the T5p. Interestingly, I wouldn't compare it with the 650s (which I have and don't really care for that much-- too veiled and muffled sounding for my tastes), but with a more treble-focused and edgy (in a good way) LCD-2.1, at least from a musicality perspective (if not much else sonically). You have the option of really listening into the music and going incredibly deep into the details of the sound-- or just laying back and letting the music wash over you without any additional deliberation or attention required. Really remarkable cans, in my humble opinion. 

There may be a misunderstanding here, or we may think and write passed each other. I mentioned Sennheiser HD 650 and Denon AH-D7000 as other headphones with enjoyable qualities that are good enough to forget about or look passed what they aren't necessarily masters at. I didn't mention them as headphones with similar sound signatures as beyerdynamic T 5 p.

I believe Sennheiser HD 650 will vary between headphone amplifiers. Lynx Hilo seems to provide some more top than Grace Design m903. Both combinations are enjoyable.

I have tried Audeze LCD2.2b and LCD3 with more than one well suited headphone amplifier for each, but I didn't understand them, especially Audeze LCD2.2b. Audeze LCD3 was more normal, but both are (very) top shy. The same week I demoed HiFiMAN HE-6 which to our surprise worked very well with my Grace Design m903. HiFiMAN HE-6 left me with a good impression.

There are other headphones than T 5 p and the others mentioned that enable you to listen deeper into the recording/music, for example the above mentioned beyerdynamic T 1, Sennheiser HD 800 and STAX SR-009. Denon AH-D7000 probably bests the T 5 p as well, but I will have to check this to be reasonably sure. Misunderstand me correctly though. T 5 p does give you details, soundstage and more.

Quote:
By way of a quick update on my previous impressions, I've got to say that I was wrong about the bass on these-- and I think I know why: if you listen to these with damn near any real noise going on around you, the bass just disappears. Evaporates into thin air. Damnest thing I've ever seen... But when you listen in a quiet environment, the bass becomes incredibly present, detailed, visceral, and there. I've been listening to Massive Attack's 100th Window every night as I go to sleep, and they are just incredible with how they handle the bass on those tracks. I can just feel myself melt into the music, and it's just... amazing. Beautiful and engaging beyond all words. (I think I've inculcated a Pavlovian conditioning in myself now that's strong enough to put me in a near-coma after the first 10 seconds of 'Future Proof'). 

I have only listened at home in what most people will consider quiet (or even very quiet) conditions. I don't have air conditioning (we don't need it), ventilation (old house) etc. Noise only from occasional passing pedestrian or car, rain (not much yet), wind, neigbour's outdoor activity (little during winter evenings).

The bass is there and goes quiet deep, but the level is less than for example Denon AH-D7000 and beyerdynamic T 1, at least at my low loudness levels.

You doze off as well? I seem to quiet often often doze off while listening to headphones.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #597 of 1,963
Actually the comparison between the HD650 and T5p is not way off. I have often been thinking the same. It is the tonal balance they share, their naturalness. I have never heard the HD600 but I am guessing it is very much like the T5p?

I think the T5p sounds like what the HD650 did sound like when it is VERY good amplified. Open, bright and no veil at all. I would say that the T5p has slightly more veil in its midrange than my HD650 had from my Meier Concerto amplifier. But I am hysterically midrange focused and just the slightest backwards the midrange is in the sound I hear it. I can easily live with that "veil" on the T5p. Which is not really a veil AT ALL just slightly less forward midrange than my favorite midrange monsters the Grado SR-325i, ER-4S and Beyerdynamic T70. But in the end it all equals out in the T5p to just become a very balanced sounding headphone which performs great with any kind of genre I think. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #599 of 1,963
The HD600 and the T5p are not so different, similar to HD650. I need very high quality amplification + source for the HD600/HD650. With the T5p connected to the HP-P1, it allows me to enjoy the music. Luckily I'm mainly an jazz/classical listener, so T5p+HP-P1 is close to ideal at the moment. It's musical enough system so I don't feel it's a lab machine outputting perfect data when I'm listening, great balance, good resolution/transparency. 

If you are partial to strings, enjoy them with T5p and forget all the effort. 
beerchug.gif

ADD: I also like the SR325is. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #600 of 1,963
Quote:
<snip>

There may be a misunderstanding here, or we may think and write passed each other. I mentioned Sennheiser HD 650 and Denon AH-D7000 as other headphones with enjoyable qualities that are good enough to forget about or look passed what they aren't necessarily masters at. I didn't mention them as headphones with similar sound signatures as beyerdynamic T 5 p.

<snip>

I think we're actually on the same page here, with the exception that I find the masked (IMO) sound of the 650 to be a bit of a distraction from the music itself. But I certainly agree that it has an ability to present a well-rounded whole that many people find to be highly enjoyable. And we're in total agreement on the sound signatures-- I don't find them to be similar at all, really. 

<snip>

There are other headphones than T 5 p and the others mentioned that enable you to listen deeper into the recording/music, for example the above mentioned beyerdynamic T 1, Sennheiser HD 800 and STAX SR-009. Denon AH-D7000 probably bests the T 5 p as well, but I will have to check this to be reasonably sure. Misunderstand me correctly though. T 5 p does give you details, soundstage and more.

<snip>

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do end up comparing the T5p with the D7k. I've never heard the Denons myself, but judging solely based on reputation, I'd be surprised if they were on the same level. But again, this is based on the opinions of others, so it would be intriguing to hear the thoughts of somebody with both sets handy to compare. 

<snip>

I have only listened at home in what most people will consider quiet (or even very quiet) conditions. I don't have air conditioning (we don't need it), ventilation (old house) etc. Noise only from occasional passing pedestrian or car, rain (not much yet), wind, neigbour's outdoor activity (little during winter evenings).

The bass is there and goes quiet deep, but the level is less than for example Denon AH-D7000 and beyerdynamic T 1, at least at my low loudness levels.

You doze off as well? I seem to quiet often often doze off while listening to headphones.

Yeah, in low-noise environments, I think the T5p is absolutely stellar, some of the best sound I've heard (that damn guitar tone is ADDICTIVE!!!) And as far as drifting off while listening... it's one of the things I have to look forward to in my day. Today, for example, I worked from 8:45am until after 10pm in two different locations and had to juggle a number of different responsibilities while doing so. But I knew that at the end of the night, I'll get to lay down, listening to 100th Window on my T5p and reading on my tablet until I fall asleep. And that's a heck of a powerful motivation for me :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back