Beyerdynamic T51p vs V-Moda XS same price - which to go with...
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Koolpep

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi!

I am looking to buy another portable headphone and am not sure which one would I would enjoy more....

I had the T50p for half a year but didn't warm up with them, so I sold them a year ago. I heard the T51p are closer to the DT1350 who I listened to (from a friend) for 2 weeks and I rather liked their sound.

Today I listened to the V-Moda XS in a shop and I think they are great contenders....

Both will cost me around $200 - $230 US...

Does anyone has any experience or comparison to there headphones of the T51p or the V-Moda XS?

Many thanks,
K

Jun 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Ok,

After debating quite some time, and already having a few Beyerdynamics in my "rotation", I think it's time for my first set of V-Modas - will report back soon....so currently, they are in the lead....

Cheers,
K

Jun 16, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Ok,

After debating quite some time, and already having a few Beyerdynamics in my "rotation", I think it's time for my first set of V-Modas - will report back soon....so currently, they are in the lead....

Cheers,

K

Congratulation with new XS, share with us your first impression with V-moda..:)

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi,

Thanks for checking. I put the purchase on hold, I decided that I do have in fact already enough on-ears in my collection.

Cheers,
K

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 15
You guys might want to check Peter's thread .....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-21-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around/

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 15
Just wish to resurrect this thread, as I am in the same boat as the thread starter. Really torn between these two headphones. I am all for refinement, but power also, and enjoy practically all music genres. What complicates matters is that I live in the Philippines where both are not available to purchase, so no A-B comparisons possible for me.

Having exhaustedly read reviews here and other websites, the t51i seems to be better for my needs, given all I have is an iPhone 6 (and at times, a Fiio E11K) to drive them. Ken Rockwell's review of the T51i basically seals the deal especially with how much high-end gear he has reviewed as comparison.

My only misgiving is the Beyer treble as I had Beyer DT-770 Pro 80's before and found the treble to be quite hot and too sharp for my tastes. I am not one who likes to fiddle with equalizers, more like a plug-and-play kind of guy. Currently, I have the Creative Aurvana Live! and love the sound, but notice grain and looseness especially in the bass. I also have issue with the CAL's fit around my ears as they really don't seal well and encompass my full ears, more like a half-on half-over ears for me. Guess I have bigger than average ears...

Thoughts from anyone who owns the XS, T51i/p, and CAL! ? 

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 15
@Mike11 To me the T51p has very smooth treble, so that should not be a problem... actually they are even a bit too warm overall to me (slightly elevated midbass and a bit toned down treble), but very easy to listen to, not offensive in the least. Plus I think they are much more comfortable than the XS as the XS cups does not swivel (less of a problem with the over-ear M100 which is very comfortable for me).

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 15
@plakat Thanks so much for the input. Exactly what I wanted to hear on the treble and comfort side! 

btw, is it somewhat similar sounding to the Sennheiser PX100 or PX100II? I've had both before, but found their treble lacking a bit, as I wanted extra air and clarity which I hope the Tesla's will provide..

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 15
@plakat Thanks so much for the input. Exactly what I wanted to hear on the treble and comfort side! 

btw, is it somewhat similar sounding to the Sennheiser PX100 or PX100II? I've had both before, but found their treble lacking a bit, as I wanted extra air and clarity which I hope the Tesla's will provide..

I enjoy my PX100ll, but my T51p is much better in every way. With the exception of price - but sound wise t51 is 3 steps ahead.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 15
@Billheiser Thanks for so much for the comparison, as I remember those Senns fondly.

What I especially find impressive is what people say about how it sounds straight out of an iphone. I have an iPhone 6 and wish to unify and simplify my source chain stripping away all other daps and amps. (I have a sansa fuze, a sony dap, and an amb mini3 and fiio e11k, but find all the fiddling a hassle.)

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 15
I'm using t51p straight out of an iPhone, they're easy to drive and sound great. I used my Senn px100ll yesterday for the first time in weeks. I used to love it but now it sure takes a back seat to the Beyer.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 15
@Billheiser That's it, I am sold! Time to get my own Tesla 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back