Beyerdynamic T1 or T5P help.
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Let me start by saying I am an "intermediate" head-fier I think.  I currently have Denon ah-d5000 headphones with a Matrix M-stage amp.  I currently use my 160gb Ipod classic with all lossless music.  Now let me say I do like the sound of what I have but I just feel something is missing (and my wallet has not taken a hit in awhile).  I have been doing some searching around here and am interested in the beyerdynamics.  There are a lot of people out there that love the T1 but I noticed that they are considered "semi" closed.  Does that mean they do not isolate at all.  Isolation is not a deal breaker but I do listen to them at night in bed and the wife would like at least some isolation.  I have also noticed the T5P and it is closed but I was still wondering about how they isolate and sound.  Is there anyone out there that can tell me about these headphones from their experience.

Ok next come the amp.  I am really looking at the Burson HA-160.  I have heard lots of good things about this amp and keeping under $1000 is nice.  I am also looking at the Woo Audio 6.  Is the woo audio enough amp for either of those headphones or is there something else i should be looking at.  I know the woo audio 2 and WA22 are well thought of here but both are over $1000.  I would like to keep it under or as close to $1000 as I can.  

Any help would be great!

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 28
T1 if you have a amp. they run at 600 ohms
the T5P is the "portable" version at 32ohms

Go T1

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
I just feel something is missing (and my wallet has not taken a hit in awhile).

Haha! I like that.

BotByte's suggestion makes sense, except it doesn't address the isolation issue. I'm a DT880 user and I'm going to assume the leakage of a T1 will be at least as bad; if you're going to be listening in bed right next to your wife, she will likely hear the tinny bits of your music. In that regard the T5p is likely to fare better.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 28
Domestic bliss is the most important issue here, imho!

Are you completely against an IEM, not comfortable with them?

Isolation in a quiet bedroom where you're trying not to annoy the wife is difficult not matter what the choice. How loud do you like to listen to the music?

I'm thinking you might be able to play at the lower level and still hear the music satisfactory, if you use an IEM as opposed to a closed full-size highend HP. I don't have experience to tell you this, but perhaps others can opine?

Why, if you like denon, are you considering the Beyer's? Price/sound quality ratio on the T5p is awful, imo. I did listen to those against a number of open back high-end HP's at Headroom's table in Buena Park this past Sunday. As a comparison, if I blindfolded you, and did not tell you what you were listening to. start 1st with a craptasically cheap $30 Senn HD-457 on-the-ear HP's that I have. Then put the T5p's on...big improvement...but then. Put some higher end HP's on like a $800 HiFiMan HE-500, or even the less expensive open back Senn HD650/600...and they just blow away the T5p with a level of SQ the T5p cannot give.

After that blind test, if I tell you to let me know what you think, you'd say the unknown #2 ( T5p's) sound like they are pretty weak in bass & mids, kind of flat, not very dynamic sound...such that you'd guess they were some mid-level, relatively inexpensive HP's. If I tell you the craptastic HD457's sell for $30 and the next one you listened to cost $250...you'd say well they are better than the HD457's but don't merit the $250 as a value. Then I tell you what you're listening to cost as much as the Beyer T1's and in fact you just listened to $1200 T5p's-you'd be severely disappointed, I'd bet.

Perhaps get an IEM for the bedtime listening, and get the separate amp/high-end HP's for listening outside of the bed?

Quote:
Let me start by saying I am an "intermediate" head-fier I think.  I currently have Denon ah-d5000 headphones with a Matrix M-stage amp.  I currently use my 160gb Ipod classic with all lossless music.  Now let me say I do like the sound of what I have but I just feel something is missing (and my wallet has not taken a hit in awhile). 

Isolation is not a deal breaker but I do listen to them at night in bed and the wife would like at least some isolation.  I have also noticed the T5P and it is closed but I was still wondering about how they isolate and sound. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
The T1 is FAR better than the T5p.

If you want the T5p for it's isolation/portability, go for the ED8 instead, it's leagues better.

agreed, Beyer made some bad innovation around the portable products, the T1 is far more better in terms of SQ. It really confuse me with it's T5p and T50p. Although as good as ED8, it's still not my cup of tea lol. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 28
Although in ur situation the Ed8, make more sense since it dose not require much about the amp. On the other hand, the leakage of T1 isn't that bad if you turn down the volume . The Burson 160D seems to be a much better deal, since once you step in the flagships, your source would be very important. The Ipod alone it's just not gonna cut the deal. Since the 160D has a very nice DAC built in, you can get a Wadia 170i ipod transport to pair with em, and that's something I would have for the bedroom setup. If you only wanna a amp, the WA3 can get the job done pretty well. It's far more better bang for the buck imo. The WA2 is good, but not a day and night difference. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 28
T1. It's not even comparable.

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 28
Currently have the T1 and Burson 160D and I love the sound (no complaints there).  I have not heard the T1 from a tube amp though, and many people have told me its significantly better off a tube amp.  As far as isolation, I have noticed some noise leakage, so your wife will most likely hear them if you're in bed next to her.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 28
I appreciate the fact that the T1 is a better sounding headphone than the T5p. Nevertheless, I am curious if the difference is so remarkable as some may have suggested here, implying the T5p to be an inferior sounding product.

I am actually on the verge of purchasing the T5p since it is capable of decent performance when hooked up to iPhones or iPods unamped. If both T1 and T5p are used with a headphone amplifier, will the T5p sound much inferior to the T1? How about the DT880? Will the T5p produce a higher level of playback when compared to the lower range DT880?

The thing is the retail of the T1 and T5p is similar, so it is a bit perplexing to find the T1 to be a vastly superior sounding product. Perhaps the difference although tangible isn't as significant as some have suggested here?

Would appreciate thoughts from those who have compared both.

Thanks.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 28
The price is similar but you're paying for two different products. The T1 is a solid can with great SQ (pro) but not portable and open backed (cons; for your situation). I've had the T5p for over a year now and couldn't be happier. I love the portable aspect. I know I'm sacrificing a small portion of the overall SQ to give myself this freedom but at $1298 I want to experience great music wherever I am. I have my T5p's paired with the RSA SR-71A and it makes for a great portable rig.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #14 of 28
how about some high-end closed cans like Denons and ATHs? They seem to be a better fit to your needs, and sound wise they may be different but certainly not worse than the T5p...

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 28
The price is similar but you're paying for two different products. The T1 is a solid can with great SQ (pro) but not portable and open backed (cons; for your situation). I've had the T5p for over a year now and couldn't be happier. I love the portable aspect. I know I'm sacrificing a small portion of the overall SQ to give myself this freedom but at $1298 I want to experience great music wherever I am. I have my T5p's paired with the RSA SR-71A and it makes for a great portable rig.

Agreed. I take my T5ps around with me and they sound pretty good straight from my ipod (though much better if givin a bit more juice).
I could never use the T1s because I'm away from home for like 12 hours a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back