Beyerdynamic T1 or T5P help.
Apr 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 28
You were looking into amp's/dac's for your T5p's right? Which did you end up choosing and does it sound good?

I'm going to go for the headstage arrow as a portable amp and just use the built in dac of my iphone for portable use.
My father is getting a nice high end stereo system so I'll just use the receiver at home.

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 28
Feb 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
The T5p is all about balancing headphone listening objectives.

Very well said. Other ways to put it:
  1. The art of compromise
  2. The art of the possible (i.e. the art of balancing the possible)

This is actually more generally true, and many people seems to forget this. For example a headphone may have the most super duper superior sound, but it doesn't matter if it is impossible to use because of discomfort. I can't use many on ear headphones because of discomfort leading to actual pain after a while.

Another issue is isolation and/or leakage which is very important for many use scenarios whether it is to avoid disturbing others or actually lowering the background noise floor enough to be able to hear the music without listening at loudness levels above ones comfort zone.

A third issue is the amplification needs of a headphone. Some prefer to travel light, or they may not want to invest to much since they only seldom use their headphone outside home, but still like to have the possibility to use it on a trip, for example spending an evening alone in a hotel room on a business trip. Bringing a lot of equipment through airport security check points is both a hassle and a risk.

An example of a "compromise" that suits me fine: I bought an Apple iPod classic mainly for use during long distance train trips (6-7 hours) which I do a few times a year. This was before I really got into headphones, and I read that the Koss Porta Pro was good for portable music, and I see them around town etc. on a daily basis. Now that was a bummer. At my loudness levels I could barely here the music and soon gave up during my first trip. I needed isolation to vastly lower the noise floor. According to many sources closed, well isolating headphones give you good isolation, good sound and value for money. I bought the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro after reading about its qualities including isolation and iPod compatibility. I wasn't exactly floored by neither sound nor isolation. I wanted a simple, compact system, and hence didn't want a separate amplifier. John Grandberg later listed several good arguments for a choice like mine. Noise cancelling sounded like a good idea, but when you start reading about that, IEMs get frequently mentioned. I generally prefer around ear ear protectors over ear plugs, have lived well with around ear ear protectors since my child hood driving lawn mowers, tractors and more. I also like over ear headphones. This time I was thorough and found information about pros and cons of IEMs which led me to believe I wouldn't be happy with them for my use scenarios. I read up on noise cancelling around ear headphones and found out that Bose QuietComfort 15 was a good candidate. I tried it, got a decent offer and bought it. It works very well for my portable use (scenarios), including an occasional evening alone in a hotel room or other quiet place. Do I have better sound at home? Yes indeed, but the better sound quality of those solutions would be drowned out by the background noise anyway, at least at my loudness levels. It's all about horses for causes within ones budget.

Positive Feedback ISSUE 53 january/february 2011 "The Headphone/Headphone Amp Roundup: A Humorous Pavin (*)" by Andy Schaub is interesting and covers several systems/combos meant for diferent scenarios and needs.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 28
I listened to both the T1 and T5p earlier today. For what it's worth, I preferred the T5p. It might need a little EQ but that's no problem for me. At 32 ohm, the right amp to partner it is more critical.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #22 of 28
I own 3 Beyer Dynamics headphones: T70P, T5P and T1P.

They are all excellent headphones. The T70p's are by far the best bang for your buck!

IMO the T1P's are the best all-around headphones but not by a huge margin. The T5p's are very close with stellar sound and they offer better isolation if you want to listen in bed with the missus or on a plane or bus and not annoy your neighbour.

I have the not listened to the 600 ohm impedance versions of these because I generally use my phones to listen to portable devices: iPods, Sony. and Astell and Kern digital players.

When people say the T1 blows the T5 out of the water, ignore them!!! They are ********ters!

Ask them which models the have listened to, and which ones they own!!!!!

They probably won't answer and if they do the will probably not tell the truth!!!!

May 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #24 of 28
I have the t-5p second gen. they are closed and they do offer good sound isolation. However, if you like bright cans don't get these; if you like bright cans go with the t-70p they offer good sound isolation, and I like the way they sound better. The new t-5p second sounds dull to me-yes this is only my subjective opinion, others here have bashed me for having an opinion on a so called forum; that's the reason to have forums is to express your opinions and experiences with an item. ​Therefore, I would try them first before spending 1100 bucks. Again, to me they sound dull and distort at high volumes-at least my does when amp. I don't want to be excused of being a drama queen-but this is my experiences with the new t-5. The T-90 sound brighter too and better to me-but is semi-open and offers less sound isolation. I hope this helps you. I would look at the old t-5p first and see if you can buy them for a lot less. I do like the new t-5 but again not for 1100 bucks; for that price you can do better-just my opinion.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #25 of 28
  I have the t-5p second gen. they are closed and they do offer good sound isolation. However, if you like bright cans don't get these; if you like bright cans go with the t-70p they offer good sound isolation, and I like the way they sound better. The new t-5p second sounds dull to me-yes this is only my subjective opinion, others here have bashed me for having an opinion on a so called forum; that's the reason to have forums is to express your opinions and experiences with an item. ​Therefore, I would try them first before spending 1100 bucks. Again, to me they sound dull and distort at high volumes-at least my does when amp. I don't want to be excused of being a drama queen-but this is my experiences with the new t-5. The T-90 sound brighter too and better to me-but is semi-open and offers less sound isolation. I hope this helps you. I would look at the old t-5p first and see if you can buy them for a lot less. I do like the new t-5 but again not for 1100 bucks; for that price you can do better-just my opinion.

I have seen your posts in the "other forum" and I don't think any one has bashed you for having an opinion. To be fair, your comments there sound like you are almost "forced" to use the T5p.2 because it cost so much, and you have repeated that many times. The guys are saying that why not just change to something else (or stick to what you have found best for you) and not brood over it again and again... At least that how I have read those replies...

FYI, I got the T5p.2 recently and wasn't really impressed with it initially (in my case, too bright and thin). But after some changes to the source, I am loving it for what it does, as a closed-back, easy to drive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back