Beyerdynamic T1 gen1 with one driver from gen2
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

legopart

500+ Head-Fier
My friend claims that he fix his headphones in the labs of Beyerdynamic, and they set one of the drivers to gen2 one.
do you think that this could damage the sound quality?
is this ok?
is it possible to mod this driver and return it to work like gen1:
I see from this picture http://forum.avmania.e15.cz/download/file.php?id=57206&mode=view
that they Beyerdynamic add some plastic addition on the gen2 driver? (maybe is removable).

do you recommend me to buy this headphones from him?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 8
You probably can’t get the originals anymore unless you salvage from a used headphone. Manufacturers usually outsource things like this and buy in a bulk purchase order. For instance, Beyer may have had 10,000 drivers built like this, and when they were running low, they ordered another 10,000. Whether they changed the parameters or not, who knows, but there will be subtle differences between runs I’m sure.

Personally I’d just install it and see if you hear a difference. Flip them back and forth without looking to avoid psychosomatics and let your ears be the judge. If not, great. If so, you might have to order a second new driver to match them.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 8
You probably can’t get the originals anymore unless you salvage from a used headphone. Manufacturers usually outsource things like this and buy in a bulk purchase order. For instance, Beyer may have had 10,000 drivers built like this, and when they were running low, they ordered another 10,000. Whether they changed the parameters or not, who knows, but there will be subtle differences between runs I’m sure.

Personally I’d just install it and see if you hear a difference. Flip them back and forth without looking to avoid psychosomatics and let your ears be the judge. If not, great. If so, you might have to order a second new driver to match them.

Beyer makes their drivers on all their German made headphones in house. In fact they have and do make drivers for other companies, the McIntosh MHP1000 is made by Beyer. But I dont think Beyer makes the T1 gen 1 drivers anymore. Since the drivers are also likely tuned different taking the dampening cap out of the T1.2 driver likely will result in a different sound than the T1.1 driver.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Good to know about Beyer and their vertical integration. I did hear that tidbit from a Best Buy/Magnolia rep about the McIntosh headphones with Tesla drivers. I didn’t know they made drivers for other companies as well, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Lego regarding if it’s good enough... anything can be good enough. People living in trailers would say it’s good enough living and there are plenty of people living in mansions unsatisfied. Just have your friend install it and listen and see what they think. No one else can answer this question for him... it makes as much sense as eating at a restaurant and asking someone else if what you had tasted good... If he is happy with the sound that’s all that matters in this hobby .

My apologies if this post seems overly direct but Lego was PMing me to participate in this thread... so offering my solicited 2 cents here :wink:

Sep 14, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Good to know about Beyer and their vertical integration. I did hear that tidbit from a Best Buy/Magnolia rep about the McIntosh headphones with Tesla drivers. I didn’t know they made drivers for other companies as well, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Lego regarding if it’s good enough... anything can be good enough. People living in trailers would say it’s good enough living and there are plenty of people living in mansions unsatisfied. Just have your friend install it and listen and see what they think. No one else can answer this question for him... it makes as much sense as eating at a restaurant and asking someone else if what you had tasted good... If he is happy with the sound that’s all that matters in this hobby .

My apologies if this post seems overly direct but Lego was PMing me to participate in this thread... so offering my solicited 2 cents here :wink:

Beyerdynamic is the oldest headphone manufacturer in the world, so it makes sense they make their own drivers. I actually think their first driver found in the DT 48(first dynamic headphone in the world) is the best they ever made, it just needs a little tlc to be better realized, I can understand people dismissing the headphone's stock tuning, I have a modified DT 480 which uses the driver and I rate it above the T1.2 and Amiron Home I own in terms of sound quality, it was a bit difficult for me to come to terms with this at first due to the age difference, but it's just better to my ears. Many of the bigger well-established manufactures make their own drivers such as Beyer, Sennheiser, AKG, Fostex, Sony, etc. Beyer doesn't seem to do it often, but they have made a few headphones for other people. Astell & Kern is another example.

@legopart
If it sounds good to you then I would consider it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back