Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Jun 7, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #1,366 of 1,824
I'll have a go at this - it's one of the few headphones that has a palpable and dynamic impulse response - you can feel and hear, for example, a bass drum hit - I haven't heard and felt this before. Not only that, the top end is well controlled (i.e. minimized sibilance without sounding dull). The driver appears to be very high quality.
Yeah that is true, it's surprising how few headphones do that but I have found Beyer has always been good at having physicality to their sound, a big reason I enjoy Beyers. And none do it quite like the T1.3 especially in the bass frequencies, I've experienced on numerous occasions feeling and hearing the power of the bass in a way I have never experienced on a headphone, only experienced that sensation on speakers. I find this becomes even more noticeable with a good aftermarket cable and a good system.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #1,367 of 1,824
Yeah that is true, it's surprising how few headphones do that but I have found Beyer has always been good at having physicality to their sound, a big reason I enjoy Beyers. And none do it quite like the T1.3 especially in the bass frequencies, I've experienced on numerous occasions feeling and hearing the power of the bass in a way I have never experienced on a headphone, only experienced that sensation on speakers. I find this becomes even more noticeable with a good aftermarket cable and a good system.
.....and the cable would be....?

Jun 7, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,369 of 1,824
May I ask what makes these headphones a sure match for rock?
- Very textured bass and lower mids. Drums and the sort sound fantastic.
- TOTL resolution. No mish mashing or blurring of details in complex passages.
- Excellent decay and transients. Helps a lot with string instruments esp guitars. Reverb of the strings and plucks can also be appreciated if the track has it.
- Lack of any innocuous emphasis of a certain freq band. Relaxed listening experience; you can listen longer without fatigue.

Is it that you prefer a warm and dark tonality for this genre, or something else?
Hmmmm. Not really. But yes, this sort of tonality does make rock sound "better" to me. But then again there are other things that matter more (some of the points above).
A good example is the HD650 which has a warm and dark tonality. Absolutely hate it for rock. It sounds clautrophobic and mish-mashy on the HD650.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,370 of 1,824
May I ask what makes these headphones a sure match for rock? Is it that you prefer a warm and dark tonality for this genre, or something else?
I tried them with some Metallica, Stratovarius or Nightwish albums and I have never enjoyed more those albums with any headphones, sounded very clean and with a enhanced bass that I loved...

But, for example with gothic metal (my preferred metal sub-genre), bands such as "Tristania" (I'm listening right now "World of glass" with the 9200s) or "The sins of the beloved", both some of my favourite metal bands, I didn't like the experience at all with the T 1.3s, I could even hear sibilance with some Tristania female vocals, which I've never found with any other headphones.

I remember that I also loved the T 1.3s with vocal music and with videogames (I've never heard any headphones imaging like the T 1.3s, was incredible with Risk of Rain 2).

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,371 of 1,824
GUCraftsman copper cable
I've got an Arctic Cables copper lead that will fit (bought it for the T 1.2 I no longer have) - must give it a try. The Beyer cable should, in theory, be better however.

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,372 of 1,824
I've got an Arctic Cables copper lead that will fit (bought it for the T 1.2 I no longer have) - must give it a try. The Beyer cable should, in theory, be better however.
I personally found the stock T1 cable to be good, I tend to swap between it and my aftermarket cable every so often as it creates a different experience. Haven't concluded which I like more overall, the aftermarket cable brings out more dynamics but the stock cable sounds more natural to my ears.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #1,373 of 1,824
I'll have a go at this - it's one of the few headphones that has a palpable and dynamic impulse response - you can feel and hear, for example, a bass drum hit - I haven't heard and felt this before. Not only that, the top end is well controlled (i.e. minimized sibilance without sounding dull). The driver appears to be very high quality.
Thank you to everyone for your responses. Everyone has mentioned how the lower frequencies are palpable, but not much talk about the mids on up - other than being fatigue free.
As for impulse/transient response, speed, etc. I haven't heard anything that can keep pace with Kennerton headphones
The darkest headphones I've heard were both from Audioquest, and I didn't think they were great for rock and metal, though I completely understand why some folks appreciate a darker, smoother type of presentation.
I like an ever so slightly forwardness in the mids, so vocals and guitars really come through. A little reservation throughout the upper mids and lower treble, and then a touch of sparkle and shimmer up top. From what I've gathered, it doesn't seem like either the T1 or T5 are tuned like this - maybe more so the T5.
I'm also curious how both play with not so great to poor recordings, especially considering how much praise the overall resolution seems to receive. They must have a fairly distinctive and unique signature, as I haven't come across many relative comparisons with any other cans.
Both are on my short list to try, but more so towards the bottom end at the moment. As for closed backs, I still need to try the Focal Radiance, Audio Technica ath-ap2000ti, and the T5 3rd. As for now, I'm pretty content with my Magni, sporting some different pads. It kinda sucks when you keep playing the buy and try game, but can't find anything you like better than what's already on your rack.

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,374 of 1,824
Thank you to everyone for your responses. Everyone has mentioned how the lower frequencies are palpable, but not much talk about the mids on up - other than being fatigue free.
As for impulse/transient response, speed, etc. I haven't heard anything that can keep pace with Kennerton headphones
The darkest headphones I've heard were both from Audioquest, and I didn't think they were great for rock and metal, though I completely understand why some folks appreciate a darker, smoother type of presentation.
I like an ever so slightly forwardness in the mids, so vocals and guitars really come through. A little reservation throughout the upper mids and lower treble, and then a touch of sparkle and shimmer up top. From what I've gathered, it doesn't seem like either the T1 or T5 are tuned like this - maybe more so the T5.
I'm also curious how both play with not so great to poor recordings, especially considering how much praise the overall resolution seems to receive. They must have a fairly distinctive and unique signature, as I haven't come across many relative comparisons with any other cans.
Both are on my short list to try, but more so towards the bottom end at the moment. As for closed backs, I still need to try the Focal Radiance, Audio Technica ath-ap2000ti, and the T5 3rd. As for now, I'm pretty content with my Magni, sporting some different pads. It kinda sucks when you keep playing the buy and try game, but can't find anything you like better than what's already on your rack.

The mids and treble are also palpable on the T1.3 (very noticeable if pads and damping is changed around), the entire spectrum is palpable it’s just it’s most noticeable in the lower frequencies due to their low-frequency focus. Most other headphones I've owned feel incomplete due to this lack of physicality in their sound in comparison including in the mids and up. The T1.3 is much better for rock and faster passages than the Nighthawks. It has better decay, transients, and doesn’t have the resonance issues of the Hawks. The T1.3 is forgiving on poorer quality recordings as it's not harsh or emphasize harshness but higher quality recordings do shine.

The T1.3 however is not the most physical sounding headphones I've owned, there is one that is more physical just not in the bass (it doesn't have as much bass presence but does have the quality) and that's my modded DT 480 which has a variation of the DT 48 drivers. Nothing I've heard does physicality of the sound like those and the vocals are incredible, it's also my most detailed and effortless headphone. It's basically an unfiltered view into the music. In terms of fidelity it's my top headphone with the T1.3 being second. But it's long discontinued, heavy, needs modding for a more modern response, etc. so it's not a viable option.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,375 of 1,824
I like an ever so slightly forwardness in the mids

Anyone looking for forward mids should give the beyers' a miss. These might not be for them. Completely different tuning. I think something from Focal or other brands that prioritize a Harman target tuning would be more acceptable for such tastes. Having said that; there's no harm in auditioning if you have a chance. No judge better than your ears.

As for the Beyers' being "dark", I think they're right at the precipice of dark-neutral. I find them to be far less dark than the Audioquests' (or even the HD650 for that matter). The added advantage with the beyers is the TOTL resolution making them far less " masked" or "veiled" than most "dark" headphones.

Couple all the above with the low impedance and high efficiency and I think what you have is a very capable daily driver set that has low system requirements and will happily perform well with a dap; as much (atleast relatively) as a desktop setup.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #1,376 of 1,824
Anyone looking for forward mids should give the beyers' a miss. These might not be for them. Completely different tuning. I think something from Focal or other brands that prioritize a Harman target tuning would be more acceptable for such tastes. Having said that; there's no harm in auditioning if you have a chance. No judge better than your ears.

As for the Beyers' being "dark", I think they're right at the precipice of dark-neutral. I find them to be far less dark than the Audioquests' (or even the HD650 for that matter). The added advantage with the beyers is the TOTL resolution making them far less " masked" or "veiled" than most "dark" headphones.

Couple all the above with the low impedance and high efficiency and I think what you have is a very capable daily driver set that has low system requirements and will happily perform well with a dap; as much (atleast relatively) as a desktop setup.
If less dark than Audioquest, I definitely find that favorable. Would you say these are more of a V or L shape type of presentation? Are the mids recessed or more neutral?

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #1,377 of 1,824
Mine just arrived, about 2 hours before I have to leave for my work trip - all packed up and have some Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Metallica lined up to audition them with later!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #1,378 of 1,824
Interesting can! Running through my test tracks everything sounds pretty damn nice, detail retrieval is TOTL, soundstage and imaging are great.

Few early observations from listening to Tool: vocals are further back than normal but have air around them so very clear and audible, guitar and bass are great, more forward and in your face, drums are somewhere in the middle of the two but again very detailed. Somewhat similar to how I remember them live (saw them in Brisbane just before the pandemic!). Similar to the Fostex it’s very musical, but a different take on it. I really like the way it sounds, it’s just different to what I’m used to, looking forward to some more listening time this afternoon (have 3 hours free, earmarked for these!)

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #1,379 of 1,824
I really like the way it sounds, it’s just different to what I’m used to, looking forward to some more listening time....
I think this is the main deal with the T1 Gen3. People just didn't give it time. It certainly grows on you and you kinda get used to it's tuning; so-much-so that you'll start finding other cans to be "lacking" somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back