Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #406 of 1,824
And apparently you enjoy listening to it as an expensive attenuator with the T1.3 :wink:

No, I'm using the DAVE as the DAC and the HPA4 as the amp. :wink: My point was that the T1.3 was dead silent with this 4+ Watt amplifier to someone else's post. Their "hum" was likely a noisy tube or tube amp.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #407 of 1,824
Sharper treble as in sibilance?
And what do you mean with mild bite?
I might lean more towards the T1.3.

Sharper as I found a little more of a sharp 's' sound on the Amiron Home than the T1.2, neither really bothered me I just noticed a sharper sound coming from the Amiron Home. While the T1.3 is darker than most Beyers, it does still have a mild peak in the upper treble and it is still a Beyer.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #408 of 1,824
Sharper as I found a little more of a sharp 's' sound on the Amiron Home than the T1.2, neither really bothered me I just noticed a sharper sound coming from the Amiron Home. While the T1.3 is darker than most Beyers, it does still have a mild peak in the upper treble and it is still a Beyer.

Can I ask what your upstream gear is?

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #410 of 1,824
I have a Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2. The Lyr 3 is still new though.

I'd roll some tubes (which 6SN7 are you using?) and burn it in. On the Hugo 2, DAVE or DAVE + HPA4, I find the treble quite smoothed out and very transparent. I realize that the comparison isn't fair to the Lyr 3 or Bifrost, but please remember it's about the whole chain. These headphones will reward you as you climb the ladder so to speak.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #411 of 1,824
I'd roll some tubes and burn it in. On the Hugo 2, DAVE or DAVE + HPA4, I find the treble quite smoothed out and very transparent.

Okay, I got the amp and headphone around the same time. I know the tube, amp, as well as the headphone aren't fully burned in yet. It's actually one reason I'm waiting to do the full review. The bite I am talking about is mild, so wouldn't be surprised if it's gone within a few days.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #413 of 1,824
I did put the foams in the T1.2, it serves to damp the sound some and also brought the mids a bit more forward, basically what I expected. The Gen 3 got more bass and more dynamically aggressive without the foam.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #414 of 1,824
I'd roll some tubes (which 6SN7 are you using?) I realize that the comparison isn't fair to the Lyr 3 or Bifrost, but please remember it's about the whole chain. These headphones will reward you as you climb the ladder so to speak.

Still the stock JJ tube, I do have a couple NOS Russian tubes I've had laying around for a while and I need to get another tube or two sometime but need to do some research on tubes. Breaking in the Lyr 3 in the stock tube for now and I will experiment with tube rolling later. Oh I can tell, I can say the same for the T1.2 as well.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #415 of 1,824
More $ = More better.

Also kind of ironic that summit-fi is being recommended to "fix" FR issues on a headphone with an impedance supposedly aimed at accessibility.

I wasn’t t recommended anything to buy. But that my experiences were different with the gear that I have now. And I have a good amount of experience with Schiit’s lineup. Flagship headphones should be considered the start of a journey...not the end as they will more than likely reveal issues in your setup. But they should reward you as well as you improve your upfront setup.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #416 of 1,824
Still the stock JJ tube, I do have a couple NOS Russian tubes I've had laying around for a while and I need to get another tube or two sometime but need to do some research on tubes. Breaking in the Lyr 3 in the stock tube for now and I will experiment with tube rolling later. Oh I can tell, I can say the same for the T1.2 as well, but it seems the T1.3 may actually scale a bit more even.

I’d give it some burn-in and then look for a solid NOS US or British tube. Should help out quite a bit. The JJ can be a bit sizzlely.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #417 of 1,824
I’d give it some burn-in and then look for a solid NOS US or British tube. Should help out quite a bit. The JJ can be a bit sizzlely.

Okay thank you, I do notice some energy up top, I'm quite new to 6SN7 tubes, switched to my russian 6H8C (6SN7GT) tube to see if it was the tube causing the bite and the bite is basically gone, so seems it was the JJ tube.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #418 of 1,824
I wasn’t t recommended anything to buy. But that my experiences were different with the gear that I have now. And I have a good amount of experience with Schiit’s lineup. Flagship headphones should be considered the start of a journey...not the end as they will more than likely reveal issues in your setup. But they should reward you as well as you improve your upfront setup.
But the issue wasn't with his setup?

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #420 of 1,824
Now that the T1 3rd is designed to run off phones and laptops, what's the point of the T5 3rd? The marketing guys have me hornswaggled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back