BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Feb 10, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,801 of 1,864

Generally, I agree. I really enjoyed the Momentums for what they were, but was underwhelmed by the HD800 and actively disliked the HD650. I've yet to encounter a Beyer that I didn't like.

To my knowledge, Beyer has not yet made a phone that comes from the factory with a balanced connector. However, some of their headphones can be modified to accept a balanced connection. Additionally, Jaben offers (or at least offered at one point) a set of new T5p Beyers modified for mini-XLR, but at a pretty steep price. If you're interested in learning more about it, check out the T5p thread-- you can see the modifications a few other guys and I had done to ours.

Cheers!

Thanks. I'll probably be trying a set of T1s. Perhaps I can get them modified in the future.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,802 of 1,864

Generally, I agree. I really enjoyed the Momentums for what they were, but was underwhelmed by the HD800 and actively disliked the HD650. I've yet to encounter a Beyer that I didn't like.

I'll take Beyer T51p over Senn's momentums. DT250 over HD650 and T1 over HD800 anytime. Which I have compared everytime I have a chance to visit an audio shop. I end up picking up all the beyer's in the comparisons above.

Next to Beyer's Hifiman cans complement my collection. 

I got my T1 modded by Jaben to have the cable removable and terminated with balanced cable.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #1,803 of 1,864
  Thanks. I'll probably be trying a set of T1s. Perhaps I can get them modified in the future.

Let us know what you think when you try them out! Cheers!!

I'll take Beyer T51p over Senn's momentums. DT250 over HD650 and T1 over HD800 anytime. Which I have compared everytime I have a chance to visit an audio shop. I end up picking up all the beyer's in the comparisons above.

Next to Beyer's Hifiman cans complement my collection. 

I got my T1 modded by Jaben to have the cable removable and terminated with balanced cable.

Yep, I'm a pretty big fan of the T51i/p myself. Haven't heard the DT250 though.

Agreed on the Hifiman stuff. The (modded) HE-6 is currently my favorite all-around headphone.

Interesting on the Jaben mod... I asked the if they would mod a T5p to balanced operation if I didn't buy the headphone from them, and they said they would not. Fortunately, there appear to be a couple of guys who are willing to do the mod now and do good work, but I appreciated the 'finished product' look of the Jaben version. C'est la vie.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,804 of 1,864
  Been a Beyer guy for a while, just picked up a set of T1s, which are stupidly good IMO. Might be the best sub-$1k (street) headphones for rock and metal I've ever heard. Enjoying The Diablo Swing Orchestra's Pandora's Pinata at the moment, and although it isn't the best recording ever made, it's still every bit as fun and engaging as it ought to be.

Got to hear them side by side with the HD800s at a meet on my system with music I know well, and I was kind of flabbergasted by how thoroughly the T1 trounced the HD800 in texture and tone... The HD800 just sounds considerably off to me with guitar-driven music. Horses for courses. The T1 suits me quite nicely, and if you haven't heard a set yet, don't deprive yourself of the opportunity!! An utter steal for what these can be had for on the used market these days IMO.

Congratulation @Theogenes -- to me the T1 are the best performance/price at the high end. Plus they work really well across many genres, even with electronics/EDM. Which is quite a thing, considering they are not even picky about amps...

Please excuse my ignorance but is it possible to use balanced cables on any of the Beyer models??

T1 and T5p are easily modified for balanced operation as they already have a 4-pin cable in place. Mid-range (T90 et al) unfortunately not, as their cables are 3-pin to my knowledge, and would require recabling.

Same for me... DT250 should be with me next week, heard them at a local meet and instantly liked them. What a good headphone at that price...

Recently I got a Custom Studio for use when working at a cafe. Very nice... and really comfortable.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,805 of 1,864
Agreed on the price/performance ratio and the broad genre bandwidth... Haven't  heard it sound bad with anything yet. I do think it comes into its own with guitar-driven music, which just so happens to be perfect for a metalhead like me :wink:.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,806 of 1,864

Congratulation @Theogenes -- to me the T1 are the best performance/price at the high end. Plus they work really well across many genres, even with electronics/EDM. Which is quite a thing, considering they are not even picky about amps...

T1 and T5p are easily modified for balanced operation as they already have a 4-pin cable in place. Mid-range (T90 et al) unfortunately not, as their cables are 3-pin to my knowledge, and would require recabling.

Same for me... DT250 should be with me next week, heard them at a local meet and instantly liked them. What a good headphone at that price...

Recently I got a Custom Studio for use when working at a cafe. Very nice... and really comfortable.

Yep, the cable for the T90 only has 3 wires. I modified mine to run in balanced.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #1,808 of 1,864
  @cCasper TFG Nice photos... so the cups get wooden backs I understand? Matching the headband? Very nice idea. I'm sure it looks good with the black gimbals and the black cups.

Thanks man. Yeah that's the idea anyway. The headband padding is a little different color than the wood cups right now, I'm hoping a stain can bring them closer together. If I can't get it to the right brown I'll just make them really dark or black. Either way I will be making them super glossy. I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,809 of 1,864
  Thanks man. Yeah that's the idea anyway. The headband padding is a little different color than the wood cups right now, I'm hoping a stain can bring them closer together. If I can't get it to the right brown I'll just make them really dark or black. Either way I will be making them super glossy. I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Do post some photos of the process, i.e. parts before and after assembly. Eventual missteps are also interesting as its always nice to see something unique being born...

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #1,810 of 1,864

Do post some photos of the process, i.e. parts before and after assembly. Eventual missteps are also interesting as its always nice to see something unique being born...

I hope I don't find any of those, though this is my first time changing the color of wood on headphones.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #1,811 of 1,864
  Luke SkyBeyer restoration complete! These things were in rough shape when I got them. The pads were flat, the headband was extremely worn, the wood had dings in it, and the black paint on the cups and headband yokes were scuffed to hell.

Everything was sanded down and repainted black. The wood inserts were removed, sanded down, re-stained, and then covered with polyurethane satin finish. The headband pad was replaced with a Custom One Pro headband pad (fits perfectly). The pads on them now are HM5 pleather pads. The stock (PIECE OF CRAP) cable was cut off and replaced with 4-pin mini XLR connectors to make them compatible with Audeze cables. I made an 8 foot braided Mogami cable for them. These actually had 32 ohm drivers in them, one wasn't working. I had a 250 ohm driver on hand and ordered another to put in these.

They sound great now. The bass is excellent and they have a pretty nice sound stage.

I want these! Beautiful work @cCasper TFG, like always.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,815 of 1,864
Anyone here with old DT801 model? I listened old DT911 and DT931 and found them very good compared to DT880Pro and DT990 old version. how DT801 compares to these mentioned? Thank you for any answer :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back