Beyerdynamic Headzone Question
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

taurus1

New Head-Fier
Hi

I would be greatful for some advice re: the headzone system. I listen to 2 channel stereo (70% of the time), SACD's (20%) and TV (10%). I am excited about the 'out of head experience' of the Headzone (btw, how convincing is it?). My question is: Should I get Headzone pro, or wait for Headzone home to come out in Nov?

I would appreciate any comments, especially from owners/users of the system.

Thanks.

Amir

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 5
you said TV only 10% of the time, how much of that time is spend watching 5.1 encoded movies. It seems there may be better options for you if you spend most of your time listening to 2 channel.

I don't know if I've seen any impressions of the headzone system around here.

For the price of a headzone pro ($2,500 came from a quick google), you could get yourself a damn nice mid/hi-fi AKG or STAX setup that would have oodles of soundstage.

I used to love watching movies (in 2ch mode) and listening to more depth-heavy music on my AKG K240's.

Good luck, maybe more people can chime in.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 5
For me, the out-of-the-head experience was very convincing with the Headzone Pro I tested.
5.1 movie soundtracks sounded way better than with regular stereo listening.

The Headzone Home would probably suit you better, as it got digital inputs and a simpler interface.
The Pro-version suits sound-engineers better.

I'm dying to hear the Headzone Home. :)

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you both for your input. Akathisia: I already have a good AKG based system, but the eternal quest for out of headness continues (btw, I remember your handle from my neurology class!). The only reason I am considering headzone pro is for the analog inputs (for SACD). JensL: How would you rate the stereo imaging (including image height) when compared to a good pair of stereo speakers?

I would greatly appreciate any further input.

Amir

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by taurus1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JensL: How would you rate the stereo imaging (including image height) when compared to a good pair of stereo speakers?

Well, some really good, properly placed speakers in a really good room, will have better imaging than any headphone, but will cost much more, and you might not have the perfect listening room.

The Headzone Pro sounded excellent in with stereo material too. Hitting the "Bypass" button was quite disappointing actually. The stereo image was most definitely moved up front.
Image height will still not match a perfect speaker setup, but it was the best I've heard in headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back