Beyerdynamic earpads lifetime
May 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lucenzo

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of DT 990's pro for about 2 years now and every 3-4 months the earpads become really thin from the pressure (I have a large head).

They become so thin that when I replace the earpads my music suddenly sounds much better and airy again (could be my imagination, but I doubt it).

I have to add that I'm wearing these headphones for 12-15 hours a day, every day.

But still though... My friend owns a DT 770 pro and he has never changed his earpads a single time and they still have the exact same shape as if they were new ... His head is much smaller than mine, but he's also wearing them for 12+ hours a day.

Is it possible that the DT770 earpads are simply made up of "stronger", less flexible material (cause of the isolation and all), and therefor remain in original shape much longer?

What would happen to my sound signature of my DT990's if I put DT770-earpads on them?

And are there any tips for increasing the lifetime of the DT990-earpads?

May 5, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Originally Posted by Lucenzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it possible that the DT770 earpads are simply made up of "stronger", less flexible material (cause of the isolation and all), and therefor remain in original shape much longer?

Yes, the DT770 ear pads are different because they are used on closed headphones, and need isolation. For the same reason, some people find them less comfortable as the pads are not as soft.

Originally Posted by Lucenzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What would happen to my sound signature of my DT990's if I put DT770-earpads on them?

It would change the sound significantly (more bass and more recessed/muffled mids/treble). People who tried this modification apparently did not like the results. The pads are acoustically not "compatible", since the 770 ones seal much better.

May 6, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 6
  I own a pair of DT 990's pro for about 2 years now and every 3-4 months the earpads become really thin from the pressure (I have a large head).

You can reduce the clamping force somewhat by bending the headband. It is basically a spring steel plate (and the wire to the right channel) wrapped in the replaceable padding. Of course, try not to damage the headphones while doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back