BeyerDynamic DT990 Questions
May 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Critofer

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am new to the site so Hello

Anyway, I have been listening to music for a long time. I usually bought a cheap ear buds or just found some of the Apple earbuds to wear. The best I got were a Pair of V Moda ear buds for like 60 bucks.

Anyway, I have been looking into a pair of nice cans for a while now. I have decided I REALLY want the BeyerDynamic DT990 600OHM. My question is how do these sound coming off an iphone w/out and amp? I know it says not to get the 600ohm pair for ipods but I read that the 600ohm have the best sound quality. So one again How do they sound? I like my music loud but not super loud. I plan on buying a CMoy Amp in the Future.

So my question is basicly can you enjoy the DT990 Without an amp? How much better would they sound with a DIY CMoy Amp?\

Thanks And sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to figure out what would sound the best if I am spending 300 bucks.

Chris

May 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 11
You very likely won't be happy without amplification. My laptop simply will
not drive them o any significany volume.
Hibuck.....

May 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I have been listening to music for a long time. I usually bought a cheap ear buds or just found some of the Apple earbuds to wear. The best I got were a Pair of V Moda ear buds for like 60 bucks.
Anyway, I have been looking into a pair of nice cans for a while now. I have decided I REALLY want the BeyerDynamic DT990 600OHM. My question is how do these sound coming off an iphone w/out and amp? I know it says not to get the 600ohm pair for ipods but I read that the 600ohm have the best sound quality. So one again How do they sound? I like my music loud but not super loud. I plan on buying a CMoy Amp in the Future.
So my question is basicly can you enjoy the DT990 Without an amp? How much better would they sound with a DIY CMoy Amp?\
Thanks And sorry if these are dumb questions, I am just trying to figure out what would sound the best if I am spending 300 bucks.

I would say if you not willing to buy a decent amplifier, do not buy 600-Ohm headphones.
open headphones are better for use in quiet places, do you plan on using headphones in a public place?
Open headphones like the Sennheiser HD558s are only 50-Ohms, easy for the iPhone to drive.
Closed headphones like the AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X are easy to drive.
Denon AH-D2000, lots of bass (the D2000 might be a little hard to find).

May 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Well these would be for when I am on the road or just relaxing in my room. So no they would not be in public places. I really like the Dt990s though. Do the 32 ohms sound just as good as the 600? Basiclly I don't care if they are not deafly loud. I am more looking for sound quality, And I read the 600ohm are the nicest, So now I am stuck. I WILL be getting an amp. so i just want to know if for the time I don't have an amp will I be able to listen to them and enjoy It. Like I said I don't listen to my music very loud anyway.

Thanks!

Chris

May 16, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 11
I have both the 250 and 32 ohm versions of the DT990. Both sound very similar except when it comes to the bass. The 250ohm version is a bit tighter and cleaner and the 32ohm is a bit muddier. It's not bad, I use it when taking road trips and they are connected to my iphone. I say get the 250 as they will be a lot easier to amp if you want to take it to go.

May 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 11
You may want to consider the 250 ohm version.  It will perform better than the 600 ohm with an iphone and will scale well with amplification.  Even if you don't listen very loudly, the problem with the higher ohm HPs is without proper amplification they lose all their dynamics, sounding flat & lifeless.  Same goes for some low impedance HPs as well.

May 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 11
The E17 is rated at 30mw @ 300ohms.  That will drop considerable with a 600ohm load.  Will it power them...yes.  Will it sound good?  I hear a huge difference running my DT880/250 with portable audio and a desktop headphone amp or preamp.

I personally think there will be a much larger SQ difference (for the worse) running the DT880/600 under powered than you will experience between the 600ohm vs 250ohm.  But on the other hand, you're pretty set on getting the 600ohm version.  If you get the 250 you'll always be wondering what potential the 600 has.  If you get the 600ohm model you'll be able to get the full experience by upgrading your amplification...which is always a fun journey to be on.

May 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 11
The E17 would be okay for a temporary amplifier, but you'd definitely want to upgrade right away. Really, I think that IF you get the 600 ohm you should just plan on getting a full-fledged desktop amplifier, and just keep the system at home next to your favorite easy chair or computer desk. The E17 would be enough to keep the treble from being super harsh (as it was out of my old E6), but the bass would be flabby and ill-defined as already stated.

May 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Personally I could not hear any difference whatsoever between the 250 and 600 ohm versions, so I got the 250 version because the 600 was too difficult for my regular amp. Now I run them with an X-Can V3 and they sound awesome! The 32 ohm version however sounds quite a lot less tight and clean according to my ears... so steer away unless you plan on using them with a phone or something similar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back