Beyerdynamic DT880s delayed
Dec 2, 2002 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been pestering Jan about these virtual cans, and I thought I would post the latest info that I have to try to unload his email:

First, the availability date was abruptly pushed out to the end of the year. No firm date, just a slip.

Second, Jan will probably be amongst the first to offer these phones when they do become available, if he likes them (see three).

Third, he is really discouraging pre-orders. He wants to listen to them first and make sure that they live up to the expectations.

I hope that I didn't violate any posting rules or Jan's confidence. I have been seeing some conjecture about these new phones and thought I should share what I knew.

Have a great week

gerG

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 10
Greg,

Thanks for the update. I had been wondering about these too, as they are supposedly the top of the line Beyer model suceeding the DT-931's. I own a pair of 931's and love the sound they produce when combined with my Corda Blue (the worlds first triple buffered model, thanks to KurtW).
Obviously, I'm very interested in seeing exactly how good the 880's are, and am cetrtainly eager to hear what Jan thinks of them. I appreciate your information giving us the current status on them.

JC

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Cool, thanks for the info. Shouldn't be problem unless Jan was under really strict orders to keep it top secret (kinda lame IMO) and it makes him seem like a good guy (which we already knew) for wanting to hear them first.

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 10
gerg
Much appreciated. I'm interested in the DT880 also but I'm also very skeptical.

In this case, it's really unfortunate that Jan has a conflict because he'll be carrying the headphone. Jan is a big fan of the DT931 and is in a good position to assess the headphone's relative value. He's also one of the people who happen to have somewhat similar tastes to me, so I especially dig for his opinions.

Hopefully Jude will give us a little leeway for relaying some of the information. If Jan thinks the DT880 is worthy I'm sure it won't be long after until one of us non-commercial types can experiment with it and post some impressions.

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 10
Dear Headfellows,

"the availability date was abruptly pushed out to the end of the year"

Apparently there have been some problems with one of the suppliers and the availability of certain parts. Thereby Beyer will not be able to make it before Christmas :frowning2:

"Jan will probably be amongst the first to offer these phones when they do become available, if he likes them (see three)."

I pre-ordered a limited number of phones. The distributor promised to send me the very first batch that he receives.

"he is really discouraging pre-orders"

Actually, I don't mind preordering, but I do not advice to do so. All Beyer phones have very different sounds. The DT770 is completely different from the DT831 and the DT990 is not to be compared with the DT931. I therefore do not know what to expect. A technically better phone doesn't necessarily mean that you like it more than other, cheaper models. Hearing is believing.
I promise to start testing the very moment I have the first phone in my hands.

Last week I received the price information on this phone. People interested may contact me. Can't publish it here.

Cheers,

Jan

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I'm interested in the DT880 also but I'm also very skeptical.

Skeptical, as in specifically about the DT880...or skeptical as an inherent character trait? If the former, what have you heard to induce said skepticism about this particular headphone?

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Calanctus
Skepticism may exist in the absense of knowledge rather than as an effect of knowledge. My skepticism is like Jan's. Beyer makes several distinct headphones and many people would swear by each one of them as the best one. I think some of us are hopeful that it will turn out to be like the DT931 but more balanced, with stronger bass and without the need for a 120ohm resistor. But you have to admit, that's already a tall order.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Kelly, thanks for the reply--in light of Jan's comment (that the Beyers are all very different headphones) and your observation that various people swear by different Beyer phones, I understand what you're saying.

I'm calling myself 'hopeful' since I love the 770, and I'd really like a can that gives the same bass impact along with a clearer midrange and better treble. But not too hopeful, since I'll wait til I hear a review of the 880s before buying. So maybe I'm skeptical too.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
I'm calling myself 'hopeful' since I love the 770, and I'd really like a can that gives the same bass impact along with a clearer midrange and better treble. But not too hopeful, since I'll wait til I hear a review of the 880s before buying. So maybe I'm skeptical too.

See, already we diverge. For me the DT770's bass is too strong and I'd not want that quality to be present in the 880.

Dec 3, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 10
Personally, I'm hoping for something like the DT770, but let it carry the sense of impact and presence that the bass already has into the rest of the sonic spectrum. Add a little more detail and maybe a more defined soundstage, and we'd have a winner!

As for the delay... DOH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back