Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Jul 16, 2007 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 237

nelamvr6

Headphoneus Supremus
Holy smokes!

I just got a pair of these (Thanks Jason!) and I am loving them!

Who would've thought a dyed in the woll Grado fan would find anothe can to love?

Now I'm wondering what the DT990's sound like...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

DT880's are the highest model in beyerdynamic family and sound better than DT990's. Their names are misleading...

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 237
doesn't beyerdynamic's website state that the dt-990's are the highest model?
Quote:

Originally Posted by freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880's are the highest model in beyerdynamic family and sound better than DT990's. Their names are misleading...

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 237
Quote:

Holy smokes!

Who would've thought a dyed in the woll Grado fan would find anothe can to love?

smily_headphones1.gif

Yah, i really like them too. No idea how i ended up with 4 pairs, tho
blink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 237
Quote:

Holy smokes!

smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to the club! I just LOVE my DT880's. For me it's the can I've been looking for all along. And unless you're a
basshead.gif
you can skip the DT990's. I've auditioned both and to my taste they have way too much bass - and this is coming from someone who loved the bass of the HD650's (so I'm not exactly anti-bass). Since the bass is a bit exaggerated on the DT990's the mids automatically take a step back (which is a shame).
The detail and separation of the DT880's however is just jawdropping.
Congrats on a mighty fine purchase!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 237
If there's one thing the DT880 does right it is bass, in my opinion. Clear, deep, non-intrusive. Plays everything from old bebop to modern rnb without interfering with the surrounding frequencies or the overall feel of the mix.

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just LOVE my DT880's. For me it's the can I've been looking for all along.

This is how I feel. I think I've found MY can. The only other I'd be interested in hearing at this point are the K701's, but I don't think I could get used to the white.
tongue.gif

How do the DT 880's and K701's compare as far as detail, imaging, soundstage, bass, etc?

I had my friend listen to the 880's recently. Played a few tracks off of The Arcade Fire's "Funeral". He was like "Whoa. Everything is so... out there!"

He's used to his HD25-1's.

edit: Are the 880's good cans to sink upgrades into? I.e. re-cable, balanced re-cable, major source and amp upgrades? Do they just keep getting better and better?

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 237
I certainly wouldn't say the bass is lacking in any way.

In a way the bass from these cans reminds me of the bass from my B&W's, it's taut and firm and fast.

Just the way I like it.

And the midrange is velvety smooth and sweet, but resolving nevertheless, not euphonic at the sacrifice of detail. Likewise the trebles, which just sparkle, and no grain or edginess at all! Not fatiguing in any way, shape or form!

Holy smokes, I may have found my perfect fit!

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't beyerdynamic's website state that the dt-990's are the highest model?

So why DT990's are much cheaper than 880's? I think the reason is obvious.
cool.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 237
Quote:

cool.gif

I am quite sure it's the opposite unless you are looking at the price of the old 990 model, but nonetheless I agree that DT880 are superior to DT990, even though they could use some more bass, but I'd rather have that than recessed midrange and piercing highs.
To OP, you should like W5000 for sure.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 237
Just got my first pair 3 hours ago and using them right now :) These cans sound amazing. My SR80 can't compete with these in any way. I am powering them through my M-Audio 410 Firewire. I can't wait to get my hands on a decent amp!!

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 237
Quote:

That used to be the case. With the 05 version change the DT-990 is now the flagship model from Beyerdynamic. As far as better sound, that is totally subjective.

Quote:

cool.gif

The DT-990 is not cheaper than the DT-880. Headroom sells the DT-880 for $299.00 and the DT-990 for $399.00.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dt880's are next on my neutral headphone hitlist.

What are first impressions on k701 vs dt880??

I like the DT880's better.

DT880's are a LOT more comfortable, and the sound is more relaxed and yet just as detailed. I think the bass has more heft yet still maintains it's agility.

Of course, this is the first day that I've had them. They were used so I think they're already run in, but I have to spend more time with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back