Beyerdynamic DT880 or Grado SR225?
Oct 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
I listen to a ton of rock, some of it is very distorted (Dino Jr.). I also listen to electronica and folk.

Which of these is better for me? And judge them as if they cost the exact same price. Price is not a factor in my decision. Also, please add info such as sound with and without an amp, audio fingerprint, and other things like that.

Thank you!

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Come on guys, 18 views and no replies?

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Not quite sure about the SR-225 for folk or electronica, TBH. Great for rock, but I think the DT880 are going to be better for folk.

Neither are great for electronica, though. The DT880 have good bass, but not the impact I'm looking for with electronica, at least.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 12
I can't vouch for the DT880, but i have the SR 225, which i use mainly for metal and i like them a lot. Not a big soundstage. bright and very tight sound. great with any guitars in music

I have read the DT880 is also very bright, but you need an amp to make it sound good, whereas the SR 225 can sound very good without an amp, and sound even better with one.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 12
if you listen to just about all rock, get the grado. personally, i have the dt880's which cover all non rock stuff very very well, and then i have kramer modded ksc-75's for rock. very easy to do as well. seemed at least as good as the sr60's i heard.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 12
I have both the DT880 '05 and just parted with the SR225s

The DT880 is highly detailed, has sparkling trebles, recessed mids and the bass is tight. Soundstage is quite good. Sound particularly good with pop/world music

The SR225 has good treble and mids and the bass is much better than the Beyerdynamics. Soundstage is narrow which makes them better for rock. Sound particularly good with rock/alternative music.

Whichever you choose there are tradeoffs. I agree the DT880 would be better for folk. I don't listen to electronica so I have no idea there. If you spend 60-70% of your time listening to a particular genre (ie rock? folk? electronica?) you will want the can that excels for that genre.

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 12
For grunge, I think I'd even take SR60s over DT880s :p

To be fair to the DT880s, they are very good but it can be a tremendous PITA to find an amp that fits them best - you'd want something to tame the highs at the same time as bringing out the mids; tube amps are frequently recommended.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 12
if you never listened a Grado, buy a cheaper one
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 12
I suggest buying Grado RS2 if you can afford. The bigger Grados have improved soundstage, and besides rock, these headphones are surprisingly good with electronica. The best Prodigy's "Poison" presentation I've heard was on the RS2's, really.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimPrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you never listened a Grado, buy a cheaper one
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not exactly sure what this means ... but as I understand it I couldn't disagree more. The SR225 is the sweet spot in the Grado lineup IMHO. Majkel has good advice if you have the disposable income. For that matter, go with the RS-1
devil_face.gif

The 225s are a nice hp with a great sound. Nice value for the $$$. You should be able to pick up a used one in great shape for $150 +/- $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back