Beyerdynamic DT880 + Meier Headfive, Good Combo?
Aug 20, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zlashed

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Beyer DT880s arriving tomorrow and I am currently in the process of purchasing a Meier Headfive to compliment them. Does anybody have any information on how good these will sound together? Thanks in advance.

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 9

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
I had the combination for awhile and it's good enough. The HeadFive is a little warm, so it's a good match for the DT880. However, when I got a tube amp, the HeadFive went into storage and then was sold to fund the Zana.

What are you planning to use as a source? One thing about the HeadFive is that the gain isn't set particularly high. Now, that is a good thing depending on perspective. It keeps distortion down and the HeadFive is a nice, clean amp. The drawback is that it didn't do much with an iPod driving it. The HeadFive only perked up when I used it with a standalone desktop-style CD player. CD players (and other gear) that plug into the wall don't worry about conserving battery life, so they give you a decent amount of output power. If you plan to use the HeadFive with desktop components, it'll do fine.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 9

zyxwvutsr

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used a Headfive with a HD580 and found it underpowered. FWIR, there's no way I would trust a Headfive to do the DT880/250 justice. For advice on amping the DT880, I suggest reading, searching, and posting in the full size amp forum for "DT880".

What source were you connecting the headfive to and what were you listening too? I've never had to go past 50% volume on my headfive (connected to an aliendac or keces da-151) even when listening to the quietest portions of classical music on my AKG K501, which is at least as hard to drive as either the DT880 or HD580. Usually, I listen to my k501 at about 20% on the headfive.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 9

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What source were you connecting the headfive to and what were you listening too?

You're right. The source the amp is plugged into definitely makes a difference (see my sig). My bad for not posting my source.

I had the Headfive plugged into the rear channels of an AV710, which has a weak output, weaker than my onboard sound, which explains it under-powering the HD580.

I've read too many posts about synergy problems and successes with amp / headphones pairings. If only more Head-Fiers would post their source / amp / headphones. It's just not enough to say amp + headphones = good or bad. I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread