Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm vs. Mad Dogs
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sperho

New Head-Fier
Background:  I have a pair of Mad Dogs that I bought for use at work.  I don't really need much isolation, but I don't mind having some, as the HVAC in my office isn't exactly quiet.  That said, I have moderate hearing loss starting around 4kHz and it rolls off progressively to about -60 dB at 10 kHz.  For my HE-500 cans, I use a Behringer DEQ2496 to boost the higher frequencies to pick up some detail on the high end.

I'm not enjoying the Mad Dogs sound as much as I like wearing them. They are *super* comfortable.  I find that the highs are just too laid back for me and I'd rather not have to buy an EQ for my office, so I was thinking about getting a pair or headphones that aren't as warm as the Mad Dogs.  Would the DT880 (edit:  Premiums) fit the bill?  I wanted to get some feedback from the head-fi folks before doing so.  What do you think?  What other mid-fi cans of good quality and comfort are comparable to the DT880 on the high end that I should consider?  I don't want to spend more than $250-300, as I'd like to sell the Mad Dogs to make up for most of the replacement cost if I like the replacements...  Thoughts??

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 7
Or DT990s?  I've read that they have perhaps a bit more treble than the 880s...  

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I guess I'll continue this conversation with myself in the off chance it will help someone with similar hearing issues as me (high end roll off).  I bought both the 880s and the 990s, both the 250 ohm Pro version.  Both were definitely brighter than the Mad Dogs, but I kept the 880s.  They aren't quite as bright as I would really like, but they are very close and they don't have the boomy bass of the 990s, which is a good thing for my taste.  I really love the Mad Dogs, especially the comfort, but they are clearly designed for someone with normal hearing.  I would probably keep them if I didn't want to have to EQ some treble into them - I just don't want that kind of overhead/hassle for office headphones...

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 7
I have the 880 Pro + HF rolloff and I'm very satisfied. Aside from the treble boost (which is hardly extreme anyway) the 880 is very neutral and does just about everything right. It's a great value phone.

I suggest you use an integrated amp or receiver rather than dedicated HP amp. If your hearing deteriorates any further you'll need to start using treble boost. Plus there's nothing quite like the luxury of remote control.

Incidentally, talking to yourself is a very fine thing to do, and the only way to ensure consistently intelligent conversation.
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Currently, I'm using an FiiO E11 to drive the 880s, but an integrated amp or receiver seems reasonable for the high frequency shelving...  How bad is your roll off?  Mine starts at 4k and then linearly goes to about -50-60 dB at 8 k.  Linearly on a log (dB) plot, that is...  That sounds bad, but the brain is has some amazing compensating capability...

Glad to see that I'm just not talking to myself... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Never measured my roll off, but I doubt it's quite as bad as yours. The 880 sounds to me right on most material and just occasionally a little bright, which means my roll off is not quite compensating for the 6.5khz peak in the 880. Above that I suspect I'm not hearing an awful lot, but then there's not a lot above 8khz anyway (that should provoke a few contrary posts). Subjectvely I don't hear any great HF loss---that is, I don't feel I'm listening from behind a thick blanket or anything like that. When a cymbal rings out (I listen mostly to classical) it still sounds like a cymbal. I'm 67 and have been listening to headphones for about 45 years, so I guess all in all I'm pretty lucky, especially as I like to listen at 'realistic' levels.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 7
  Never measured my roll off, but I doubt it's quite as bad as yours. The 880 sounds to me right on most material and just occasionally a little bright, which means my roll off is not quite compensating for the 6.5khz peak in the 880. Above that I suspect I'm not hearing an awful lot, but then there's not a lot above 8khz anyway (that should provoke a few contrary posts). Subjectvely I don't hear any great HF loss---that is, I don't feel I'm listening from behind a thick blanket or anything like that. When a cymbal rings out (I listen mostly to classical) it still sounds like a cymbal. I'm 67 and have been listening to headphones for about 45 years, so I guess all in all I'm pretty lucky, especially as I like to listen at 'realistic' levels.

My big rolloff is at about 12K. But the actual rolloff begins before this figure. I did not like the DT990s. Because of its "V" FR, the music did not sound natural. The DT880s I find that do a good job of reproducing the music well. I hear a bit of travel emphasis, but not as much as some people have noted. The DT880 I find a good all-around transparent headphone.

Bob Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back