Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohms, Amp needed for Cowon J3? If so, computer/portable source viable amp.
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JF7172

New Head-Fier
So, first off, first post. Hi everyone, been lurking for a while decided to make an account. Anyways...

So to be a little more detailed, I am thinking about getting a new set of headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's 250 Ohm version. My current portable source I wish to run it off is the Cowon J3. I've looked into impedance, sensitivity, power output, ect .... After all that I still feel unsure of what I think. Question is, is the Cowon J3 able to run my chosen headphones sufficiently or is an amp necessary to run it (I'm unsure but I think the answer is probably yes) If that is true... and maybe even if it is not true. That leads to my next question, Not only do I wish to use my headphones on my portable source but my computer as well, sadly I only have an integrated sound card so I am assuming it will need an amp anyways... One worry is that my computer may damage the headphones, I don't really mind my headphones not able to be driven fully on my computer (for now) so if it's a matter of volume I don't mind. So if a amp is necessary is there one that could be used for both my computer and portable source? If so, any suggestions? (70$ limit or so)

tl;dr:

1. Can the J3 run DT770 pro 250 ohm sufficiently unamped? yes/no
2. Should I worry about damaging the headphones if run off a integrated sound card on a computer?
3. If amp is necessary for either question is there one that can be used for both my portable source and computer? If so, suggest amps for $70 or less

Apologies if some of these questions seem completely stupid or all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back