Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro or Sennheiser HD660s
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chococya96

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, I'm having a hard time choosing between DT1990 Pro or HD660s as both of them seems to fit my budget and needs.

I've been using AKG K702 65th Annie with JDS labs Element however, the headphone has been damaged to the point where the replacement parts and labor cost are pretty significant. The AKG technician told me that there's no other option as I'm out of warranty and the parts that needs to be replaced are expensive to begin with.

Initially, I thought of going for AKG K712 Pro since it's pretty much a "upgraded" version of K702 Annie however I'd like to use this opportunity to try something different.

I'll be using the headphone with Element and listening primarily to EDM, rock, metal and J-pop. I'll also be using it for gaming as well.
Comfort is also one of the biggest factor in deciding which headphone to get as I loved my K702 Annie for comfort. Though, it looks like both Beyer and Senn provides just as comfort with their velour pads.

All in all, I'm really not sure which one to go for as both are highly regarded as quality headphones with overwhelming positive reviews.

I appreciate your help.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 13
The DT 1990 is a really great all-arounder and will (probably) be good for all your music genres. I don't listen to metal much (unless Led Zeppelin and Lightning Bolt count?), but some people prefer a darker and/or more forgiving headphone. It depends on what you want. Personally, I like my gritty albums to sound gritty and wouldn't want too forgiving a headphone. DT 1990 does sound great with both Zep and LB, to me.
Otherwise, EDM, pop and rock (and jazz, blues, and classical, too) sound absolutely amazing.

I don't do any gaming, so I can't speak directly to that, but I will say that the DT 1990 has very good imaging. Soundstage is probably not as big as the K702 (though I've not heard those).

Comfort? Entirely subjective, I guess. For the most part I don't find them uncomfortable, though the clamp is pretty strong. Every now and again I'll put them on and they'll feel like they're squeezing my head, but the feeling fades after a few minutes.

Caveats may be an intimate soundstage and bright treble. Personally, neither of those traits are bothersome to me and do not detract from the overall experience.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 13
The DT 1990 is a really great all-arounder and will (probably) be good for all your music genres. I don't listen to metal much (unless Led Zeppelin and Lightning Bolt count?), but some people prefer a darker and/or more forgiving headphone. It depends on what you want. Personally, I like my gritty albums to sound gritty and wouldn't want too forgiving a headphone. DT 1990 does sound great with both Zep and LB, to me.
Otherwise, EDM, pop and rock (and jazz, blues, and classical, too) sound absolutely amazing.

I don't do any gaming, so I can't speak directly to that, but I will say that the DT 1990 has very good imaging. Soundstage is probably not as big as the K702 (though I've not heard those).

Comfort? Entirely subjective, I guess. For the most part I don't find them uncomfortable, though the clamp is pretty strong. Every now and again I'll put them on and they'll feel like they're squeezing my head, but the feeling fades after a few minutes.

Caveats may be an intimate soundstage and bright treble. Personally, neither of those traits are bothersome to me and do not detract from the overall experience.

Thank you for the reply.

I've been hearing about how people disliked the highs in DT1990 where it's "too bright/sharp" and the SS sound can be very annoying at times, causing the users to not be able to use it for long hours. This worries me because most of the vocals that I listen to are females and if what people said about discomforting highs are true then, I might have a hard time listening with it. Not to mention I'll be watching anime where there will be a lot of female voice actors and potentially saying a lot words with SS sounds.

Honestly, I'm confused. On one hand, people report that DT1990 is not really a relaxing headphone to use due to bright highs while on the other hand, people say that it's not much of a big deal as it's not that bright and I'll be able to get used to it. I'd love to test DT1990 out before pulling the trigger but, there are no audio shops near me.

Overall, I'm hoping that the highs in DT1990 are not that offensive as what people are claiming to be. Coming from K702 annie, I'm not sure if I'm going to be "offended" by DT1990's bright treble or not.

Dammit, now I'm back to square one. The chill/relaxing side of HD660s is tempting while, DT1990 seems like a perfect upgrade from K702 annie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm going to guess the HD660s would be considered slightly more musical, while the DT1990 might be slightly more clarity (best guess).

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 13
Well, they do have bright treble. Whether or not you hear it as too bright or fatiguing is another matter altogether. The DT 1990 have a peak at around 8kHz and don't roll off much until around 16kHz. From what I can gather from looking at graphs online, the K702 (having a hard time finding graphs for the Annies) have a peak a little lower and start to roll off just about where the DT 1990 get going.
8kHz is well above any singer's range. Even Mariah Carey or Yma Sumac don't sing that high. The treble on the DT 1990 will mostly effect upper harmonics, like that "zingy" sound sometimes heard in a guitar, or perhaps some cymbals or triangle. Don't know if you listen to Plaid at all, but they have some tracks that have quite a bit going on at around 8kHz. To me it makes the music a little more fun and adds to the dynamics.
I think some people claim that the "Analytical" pads tame the treble some, but I can't confirm this since I've only ever use the "Balanced" pads.

As for whether or not they're relaxing? I mean, they're professionally oriented headphones, they're not specifically designed for home use. But can you relax with them? I dunno. I can. I can relax like hell with them.
That being said, they're not particularly forgiving headphones, like, say, the HD 650. If you have a lot of really poorly recorded music or if you listen on vinyl, the DT 1990 might not be a good choice. I don't want to overstate this, though. Yes, pops and clicks on vinyl are very present, but I've only got one album I can't listen to on the DT 1990, and it sounds only marginally better on the HD 650.

Also, if you get the DT 1990, prepare to have your socks knocked off with bass. Phe. Nom. En. Al.

My guess is that if you like the treble on the K702, you will also like the DT 1990. Now the question is if you want something new or if you want similar but better.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm going to guess the HD660s would be considered slightly more musical, while the DT1990 might be slightly more clarity (best guess).

Yeah, it looks my current K702 Annie is similar to DT1990 while, HD660s is more of relaxing and laid back.

Now the question is if you want something new or if you want similar but better.

I'm more than happy to go for something that is "similar but better" DT1990 Pro, over "new" HD660s.

I'll go with DT1990 Pro. Although I mentioned that I was looking for something new in my original post, I'm more keen on upgrading from my K702 Annie to something better.

Anyway, thank you very much for the detailed advice. I appreciate it.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Yeah, it looks my current K702 Annie is similar to DT1990 while, HD660s is more of relaxing and laid back.
I'm more than happy to go for something that is "similar but better" DT1990 Pro, over "new" HD660s.
I'll go with DT1990 Pro. Although I mentioned that I was looking for something new in my original post, I'm more keen on upgrading from my K702 Annie to something better.
Anyway, thank you very much for the detailed advice. I appreciate it.
Check out the Beyerdynamic T90, good clarity.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynam...h=item1a672f0979:g:az0AAOSwEOJb-va0:rk:1:pf:0

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 13
It really comes down to you, i'm a little biased since i really love my DT1990 Pros.
Build quality theres no question at all, the DT1990s win hands down. because the 660S is plastic and creaks.

as for fit/sound,i would suggest going to a show or store and trying it out for yourself.
from what i've experienced from trying both, to me the DT1990 Pros are better in every way.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 13
You're very welcome! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

I would agree that the DT 1990 are very solid. Don't be fooled by the plastic on Sennheisers, though. If the HD 660 is anything like the 650, they're very durable despite having plastic parts. That being said, the DT 1990 does feel more robust.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 13
You're very welcome! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

I would agree that the DT 1990 are very solid. Don't be fooled by the plastic on Sennheisers, though. If the HD 660 is anything like the 650, they're very durable despite having plastic parts. That being said, the DT 1990 does feel more robust.
even the two cables provided + case and other accessories feels quality. cables feel a bit heavy but thats fine by me. i used the coiled one for desktop source.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 13
For me the cable is a bit of a toss up. If you coil the straight one when you put it away, it has a tendency to tangle a little bit when you uncoil it. Once it's straightened out, though, I'd agree: very robust feeling. The cable on the HD 650 (and I assume the 660) is the opposite: very pliable, easy to coil/uncoil, but because it's attached at both earcups it can get actual tangles, and it's a little flimsier overall.

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 13
I have the HD660 and have tried the DT1990.

HD660:
More relaxed in the HD600 series kind of way, but with greater clarity.
Without comparing, HD660 will present the music in a mellow way and the treble will seem to be added only as much as to notice as much detail as possible but they will not ever be edgy unless the recording requires it. Imaging is great and soundstage still intimate, although improvemenent to the previous HD600.

Visual associations: flute, snap of the finger, wind, echoes, item falling to the floor

These sounds sound more realistic on HD660.

DT1990:

These more exciting edgy headphones. They sound "strong". Even the recordings without the treble emphasized will have this "s" tone accentuation to them and they will have a punchy bass. Nothing too much or ever bothersome, but will lean towards this presentation. It will make metal and EDM music more exciting.

Visual association: tank, bite, explosion, glass, sparkle

These sounds sound more realistic on the DT1990.

Do you like edge or tenderness?

Both headphones are all-rounders. But to me HD660 even more so.

Vs the K712:
K712 to me have better clarity, soundstage, balance than both, nicely amped. If I could choose one, I'd still take K712. They offer the best of the both worlds for a damn low price and no caveats (I paid 170EUR) in the EU. To me, they literally are the better headphone from both. I am the AKG guy. HD660 will have slightly better imaging tho.

The reason I have the HD660 is because of this emotional and intimate presentation of the HD600 series that I just can't give up on.

Vs the K702:
This is a wonderful headphone, but it's not an all around headphone unless ur really into its lean and expansive sound with less defined imaging (I am tho, sad they broke!).

All in all I recommend u try it because whatever I say that sounds attractive could be a disappointment for you.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 13
I have the HD660 and have tried the DT1990.

HD660:
More relaxed in the HD600 series kind of way, but with greater clarity.
Without comparing, HD660 will present the music in a mellow way and the treble will seem to be added only as much as to notice as much detail as possible but they will not ever be edgy unless the recording requires it. Imaging is great and soundstage still intimate, although improvemenent to the previous HD600.

Visual associations: flute, snap of the finger, wind, echoes, item falling to the floor

These sounds sound more realistic on HD660.

DT1990:

These more exciting edgy headphones. They sound "strong". Even the recordings without the treble emphasized will have this "s" tone accentuation to them and they will have a punchy bass. Nothing too much or ever bothersome, but will lean towards this presentation. It will make metal and EDM music more exciting.

Visual association: tank, bite, explosion, glass, sparkle

These sounds sound more realistic on the DT1990.

Do you like edge or tenderness?

Both headphones are all-rounders. But to me HD660 even more so.

Vs the K712:
K712 to me have better clarity, soundstage, balance than both, nicely amped. If I could choose one, I'd still take K712. They offer the best of the both worlds for a damn low price and no caveats (I paid 170EUR) in the EU. To me, they literally are the better headphone from both. I am the AKG guy. HD660 will have slightly better imaging tho.

The reason I have the HD660 is because of this emotional and intimate presentation of the HD600 series that I just can't give up on.

Vs the K702:
This is a wonderful headphone, but it's not an all around headphone unless ur really into its lean and expansive sound with less defined imaging (I am tho, sad they broke!).

All in all I recommend u try it because whatever I say that sounds attractive could be a disappointment for you.

Thank you for the detailed response.

Yes, K712 is probably the "best" replacement for K702 though I do want to try something new but somewhat similar to K702.

Between calm HD660s and sharp DT1990, the former might be the one for trying something new.
However, the latter is close to K702 while offering something different.

I wish I had a higher budget to buy both DT1990 and HD660s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back