beyerdynamic dt-990 versus dt-1990 (re: I've purchased both, need confirmation/advice) (gaming/music)
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jklimek

New Head-Fier
I'm a headphone newbie but I was previously using the dt-770 (80 ohm) and really liked them.
I was looking for gaming/music headphones and saw the dt-990 was really popular so I purchased a pair on a good deal ($149 for the limited edition, 250 ohm) and immediately loved them except for the sharp treble with specific songs/artists. The open-back sound is amazing and I definitely prefer it over the closed-back.

I also purchased a Monoprice Liquidspark DAC and AMP combo (as it was recommended to help reduce the treble... I don't think it helps the treble, but it does power the headphones really nice)
Before the dt-990 return policy was over I thought I would also try the dt-1990 (on sale for $525 with no tax and free shipping).

So far I really like the dt-1990. I've only ever used three headphones in my life (770, 990, 1990) so I don't have the correct terms but here is my comparison:

Compared to the DT-1990, the DT-990 sounds a bit muffled or "compressed". I don't know what mid-tones sound like or if the treble is the difference I'm hearing, but when I use the DT-990 it sounds closer to my closed-back headphones.

Here's my questions...

Are the DT-1990 the best headphones (around $500) for 60% music and 40% gaming?

Should I try any other headphones? (the problem is that with COVID, I can't visit any stores so I have to buy and return which is terrible)

Did I make a good decision with the DT-1990? (and return my DT-990)

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Sennheiser HD6XX, HD660, etc, so that has me second-guessing my 1990s as well.
Thanks so much for any advice!

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Are the DT-1990 the best headphones (around $500) for 60% music and 40% gaming?

Should I try any other headphones? (the problem is that with COVID, I can't visit any stores so I have to buy and return which is terrible)

Did I make a good decision with the DT-1990? (and return my DT-990)

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Sennheiser HD6XX, HD660, etc, so that has me second-guessing my 1990s as well.
Thanks so much for any advice!
Hi there,
I don't think there could ever be a "best." Every headphone is a list of benefits and compromises, pros and cons, and everybody will weigh each of those differently. Somebody will come in here and tell you that some other headphone has a better bass, another person will tell you that they really value durability, somebody will say you're spending too much, and a fourth person will come and say you're not spending enough. I think figuring out whether the DT 1990 are the "best" is really figuring out what you value and whether or not they provide that for you. It's 100% about your preferences and needs.
I will say that, though I don't do any gaming, I love the DT 1990 for music. I know that others think they're great for gaming and others still prefer different headphones.

There are plenty of people here that will tell you to try lots of headphones. They love trying headphones and view this whole hobby as a quest to find their favorite headphone to maximize their enjoyment, to find the "best." In fact, for them, I think, part of the enjoyment is the quest. If this is what you enjoy then there's nothing wrong with it and it's what you should do, but it's not for me. For me, headphones are not a hobby and I have no interest in a quest for a nebulous "best." I much prefer enjoying what I have. If you're more like me, then, no, I don't think you'd benefit from trying more headphones.

Did you make a good decision with the DT 1990? A better question is if you're you enjoying them? If yes, then you made a good decision. If not, then you didn't.

I also have the HD 650 (same as the HD 6XX) and other than the mids, I think the DT 1990 is the far superior headphone. Though I haven't heard those two, if you think the DT 770 and 990 sound muffled by comparison, I'd be willing to bet that you'll also find the HD 6XX muffled. I haven't heard the HD 660, so I won't speak to that.

DT 1990 (with balanced pads; I'm not a fan of the analytical) vs. HD 650/6XX:
Bass: DT 1990 has better extension, it's a little bigger, a little more linear, more exciting, and there's more perceived detail; from memory the analytical pads sounded quite bass-shy to me, but I know others disagree.
Mids: DT 1990 is slightly recessed by comparison, but if I'm not comparing then I'd never call them recessed; HD 650 has truly beautiful mids, vocals and instrumentals are just gorgeous
Treble: DT 1990 has that peak that I'm sure you're familiar with and which helps with perceived detail; HD 650 is more laid back, I find some things like jazz cymbals to sound more realistic, but that's a very minor personal preference. I've found that if a recording is too hot in the treble for the DT 1990, nine times out of ten it won't be much better on the HD 650.
Soundstage: I'm not a soundstage-head, but the DT 1990's is very slightly larger. It's very, very close. I'm not going to get into its "three dimensionality," or anything like that.
Imaging: DT 1990 is much more precise.
Detail: DT 1990 is way, way more detailed.
Dynamics/excitement: DT is a more exciting listen, in part, I think, because of the great bass and bright treble.

Anyway. I don't know if this is the sort of answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 4
If you like the sound of the DT-1990, you could also try using some EQ to reduce some of its brightness in the low treble. And to maybe bump up the upper mids just a tad, if you think that's necessary.

I believe there are quite a few good options to consider in the ~$500 range though. Including things like the AudioTechnica R70x, if those are still available. So I'd try to keep my options open for now, if that's feasible.

The R70x is a pretty high impedance headphone btw, around 500 ohms! So it might possibly require an amp upgrade as well. Not really sure about that though. Maybe the Monoprice would do ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back