Beyerdynamic DT 990 premium vs DT990 Pro
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dave513271

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I'm trying to buy some new headphones and was hoping you could help me out with a few questions

-Budget : around the 300$ range (for headphones, amps on a seperate budget)
-musical preference: mostly Dub/House/Trance/Progressive electronic music also looking for rock/blues
main use: alot of PC gaming but really enjoy listing to quality music as well
-open/closed: Fine with open or closed design
-amp: dont have one currently but will get one that fits whichever headphone im getting (thinking E17 though)

Did my research for these headphones but I feel like I'm getting conflicting opinions everywhere. 
general impression im getting is that the DT990 is the way to go if I want more Bass while still getting the higher end quality in middle and treble but im getting alot of opinions in the mid/treble range. I generally like a stronger mid and a neutral treble. Looks like theres some saying that the Dt990 premiums have a recessed mid with higher treble while the Pros have more of a heavier bass with more neutral mid/treble. Also people seem to be saying that 32 ohms and 600 ohms are the way to go rather than 250 when it comes to bringing out the middle. Im leaning towards the premiums just because it sounds like it has a little higher quality but would it be better to go for the heaver bass and neutral mid/treble of the Pros? Also im considering the 250 ohms over the 600 and 32 just because of quality (for the 32) and price(250 is cheaper). Finally, was wondering if I can correct some of the premiums higher treble with EQ settings or something like that with the E17 amp/dac.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks!

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Im no expert but i think the pros would be great for your listed genres. From my experience they treble is more pronounced that the mids so if thats a problem for you dont get them. I recently got the dt990 250 ohm pros myself and i absolutely love everything about them and the comfort of them are off the charts. They are a v signature but i dont mind that at all. When it comes to amps and stuff ive been driving them from my headphone port with no sac/amp so i dont know how much i am missing out yet.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 5
You've definitely done your homework, but it looks like you're somehow attracted to the DT990s despite knowing their sound signature isn't what you're looking for. I happen to like bright headphones so I loved the treble, but I can see why some people don't like them.

Why are you interested in the DT990s in the first place? There are plenty of other competitive mid-centric headphones out there that also punch a lot of bass, especially since you're okay with both closed and open headphones.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 5
Good point, I guess the main reason why the Dt 990 was so attractive is that every review thread/site seemed to give the headphones very high value for the money that they cost (right in by budget range). For some reason I'v had trouble finding headphones in the range of 300 with quality bass and neutral mid/treble with the glowing reviews that the Dt 990 seems to have.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 5
  Good point, I guess the main reason why the Dt 990 was so attractive is that every review thread/site seemed to give the headphones very high value for the money that they cost (right in by budget range). For some reason I'v had trouble finding headphones in the range of 300 with quality bass and neutral mid/treble with the glowing reviews that the Dt 990 seems to have.

so which one you got finally? I wanna hear your impressions as I'm in the same situation as you were and or are

Users who are viewing this thread

Back