BeyerDynamic DT 990/600 ohm Cans after 30 hours
Jan 2, 2011 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

amandela77

New Head-Fier
Can-heads:

The sound of my new BeyerDynamic DT- 990s has improved considerably with a little break-in time. The brightness in the upper mids and lower treble, while not banished outright, has tamed significantly. An incredible sense of openness, air and extension has replaced outright glare and a sliver of fine grain.

For those who feel that the DT-990s don't need significant break-in time, let me respectfully disagree. My cans sound much better with approximately 30 hours on them, and I expect the sound to improve as I log even more listening hours on the system. 

Here are the essentials:

Dell 640GB laptop (using the very nice Windows Media Center architecture);

HRT Music Streamer II DAC (Monster Cable USB cable);

Audioquest Black Mamba II interconnect;

PS Audio GCHA (with a PS Audio PerfectWave AC-3 power cable plugged into a Monster Cable power strip);

BeyerDynamic DT-990/600

Good listening.....))))))

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 9
I have often wondered whether the break-in period is a psychological balm that allows one to acclimate to the sound of a new component, or a real, measurable phenomenon. I suspect that it is a little of both...

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I have often wondered whether the break-in period is a psychological balm that allows one to acclimate to the sound of a new component, or a real, measurable phenomenon. I suspect that it is a little of both...

I'd say this is most likely the case. Headfonia found as much to be true with a semi-scientific test they conducted with a pair of M50s, one well-used and one brand new.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 9
I haven't heard the AKGs, but I can say that the BDs I have heard all have a similar naturalness and ease, albeit with a touch of upper mid-lower treble brightness that softens over time.  

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 9
When my DT990~600 arrived, I popped them on my ears and found them super sibilant and harsh. I took them off my head, but left music running through them at the loud side of my normal listening volume for about 30 hours and came back to a very different set of cans. So I am definitely a burn-in believer as I never gave my ears a chance to acclimate to them. Yes, they are still bright cans, but out of the box "bright" is way too nice of a word...

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 9
I agree with most said here, I found mine much more tolerable after a bit of burn in as out of the box they were abrasively harsh. Fast forward a few days of listening and I'm hooked on the sound and the comfort. Not bad on the eyes either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back