Beyerdynamic DT-880 premium 600 ohm: DAC/AMP?
Apr 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dt77

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I just got my beyer cans today, got them for mixing and producing purposes. I also bought an SMSL SAPII TPA6120A2 amp (quite a budget option), as I figured that my laptop wouldn't be able to drive a 600 ohm set of headphones properly. The amp is decent I guess, has more than enough power for my headphones but what surprised me was the fact that my macbook pro can provide me with enough volume as well. 3 or 4 notches below max volume is more than loud enough for me. Furthermore, I didn't really notice any difference in sound quality between using the amp or just my macbook pro, apart from the possible max loudness. 

So, I was wondering is it more effective for me to by a DAC instead and return the amp? Is it the amp itself? Are there other alternatives that I can look at, preferably around the same price range? Would adding anything else be overkill for my purposes? What do you guys think?

Thanks! 

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 7
I want to be sure I understand you. You want to return the amp because it doesn't seem to make any difference when compared to running strraight out of the MacBook? So you would just rely on the MacBook? Are you then looking for a DAC? I'm a bit confused about what you want to do. Maybe you could clarify.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got my beyer cans today, got them for mixing and producing purposes. I also bought an SMSL SAPII TPA6120A2 amp (quite a budget option), as I figured that my laptop wouldn't be able to drive a 600 ohm set of headphones properly. The amp is decent I guess, has more than enough power for my headphones but what surprised me was the fact that my macbook pro can provide me with enough volume as well. 3 or 4 notches below max volume is more than loud enough for me. Furthermore, I didn't really notice any difference in sound quality between using the amp or just my macbook pro, apart from the possible max loudness.

If you're not listening loud enough a Macbook has enough clean power for most headphones. Now in some cases like for example my iPad, while it can take the HD600 to ear-splitting levels, there comes a point where an actual amp is a lot cleaner - less noise, more "slam" on drum hits, etc - and while that isn't necessarily past the point of quick onset permanent hearing damage, it's audible to me. And I'm equalizing each comparison with a 1000hz test tone, at 3dB increments from 65B.

Chances are you're not listening at a loud enough volume to really push the Macbook. Alternately, there's always the possibility that that SMSL amp doesn't keep distortion and noise at bay any better than the Macbook, unlike for example the O2 amp, or Meier, Violectric, Schiit, etc, so if you get a better amp, it can be better at than the Macbook at some point.

The question is whether you will be able to hear it, and even then, if you do, would you pay that much to enjoy that better, louder sound often enough. If your Macbook sounds good enough to you with that headphone then in your case there's no need to use an amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I was wondering is it more effective for me to by a DAC instead and return the amp? 

A DAC is just a Digital to Analogue Converter. It outputs a line signal that needs to be amplified to run a headphone (or speaker). If you get a DAC you'd be worse off driving the headphone from a line out that wasn't designed move transducers vs a laptop's headphone output that is designed to do that (although it's a halfway design between being an actual amp and a line out).

What you need if you want to bypass the DAC and more importantly that half-and-half output stage on it is to get a DAC and run it with your amp, or better, get a better DAC and HPamp. Or a single box DAC-HPamp.

Again though while better DACs and HPamps would have less distortion and noise there's no guarantee that these will be perceptible to you at your preferred lower listening level, or even if you could at louder volume, it won't necessarily persuade you to listen louder just to make the most out of it.

Is it the amp itself? Are there other alternatives that I can look at, preferably around the same price range? Would adding anything else be overkill for my purposes? What do you guys think?

Maybe return the amp since your Macbook works well enough, then if you really want to try something else, get the Schiit Modi2 Uber and Vali2.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Upon further listening I do find that the amp makes the beyers sound cleaner but I'm still considering returning it for a portable dac/amp. Any ideas? My budget is around < $100 though.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Upon further listening I do find that the amp makes the beyers sound cleaner but I'm still considering returning it for a portable dac/amp. Any ideas? My budget is around < $100 though.

I'm guessing you might have to spend well more then $100, for a worthwhile DAC/amp, to improve audio over plugging your 600-Ohm DT880 directly into the MAC.

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 7
What about to improve the sound quality from my phone? Surely a budget dac/amp would be able to do that right?

For something that works with your phone AND your computer, $100 wouldn't be enough

I'm guessing you might have to spend well more then $100, for a worthwhile DAC/amp, to improve audio over plugging your 600-Ohm DT880 directly into the MAC.

Well actually, $100 is about the cheapest you can go

For just your macBook, the UCA 202 is my FAVORITE budget Dac, it's $30 on amazon and I found it cleaned up my Laptop output considerably! For an amp $70 isn't much but the Bravo Audio V2 Hybrid Tube amp is a nice option. It'll work very nice the the 600 Ohm Beyers, I used an Indeed G3 Hybrid Tube amp with my DT 880 years ago, while the build quality isn't amazing the sound is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back