Beyerdynamic DT-880, but closed?
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #46 of 59
Agree on the K701 soundstage being bigger (I own it). Still puzzled by your suggestion that SRH940 was better sonically than the DT880 'in every way'. Maybe you were under-amped.?

But pleased you enjoy the SRH940. I personally wouldn't recommend it if the OP is looking for a closed headphone similar to the DT880. They're sonically very different, and the build quality on the SRH940 is turning out to be a lemon unfortunately.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #48 of 59
For DT880, is there any different in term of sound stage, separation, mids-range, bass among 32-OHM, 250-OHM & 600-OHM?

Any different between DT880 Premium & DT 880 Pro in term of SQ & comfort on ears?

Does 32-OHM version can be played directly from iPod/Sansa Fuze without amp?

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #49 of 59
For DT880, is there any different in term of sound stage, separation, mids-range, bass among 32-OHM, 250-OHM & 600-OHM?

Any different between DT880 Premium & DT 880 Pro in term of SQ & comfort on ears?

Does 32-OHM version can be played directly from iPod/Sansa Fuze without amp?

Their soundstage is mostly the same, there are some small differences in terms of sound amongst them though. I'd like to refer you to Zombie_X's thread about the Beyers, he has put some time and effort into describing them all.

The Premium and Pro versions use the same drivers but the Pro version clamps a little bit more and as such also sounds a little bit more forward. The difference is really subtle though.

The 32-Ohm version can be played direcly from a Sansa Fuze but so can the 250 Ohm version. With this said, even the 32 Ohm Beyers are known to improve significantly with amping.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #50 of 59
Quote:
Their soundstage is mostly the same, there are some small differences in terms of sound amongst them though. I'd like to refer you to Zombie_X's thread about the Beyers, he has put some time and effort into describing them all.
The Premium and Pro versions use the same drivers but the Pro version clamps a little bit more and as such also sounds a little bit more forward. The difference is really subtle though.
The 32-Ohm version can be played direcly from a Sansa Fuze but so can the 250 Ohm version. With this said, even the 32 Ohm Beyers are known to improve significantly with amping.

While it is being described as is in the official website, I have directly confirmed with the Greater China distributor that, the driver parts for Pro/Consumer is not the same. I guess there are more tuning done on the same driver.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #51 of 59
While it is being described as is in the official website, I have directly confirmed with the Greater China distributor that, the driver parts for Pro/Consumer is not the same. I guess there are more tuning done on the same driver.

This is interesting, I'd like to see some further confirmation from Beyerdynamic themselves, as the distributor might not be privy to all the information. The drivers might be given different serial numbers but could actually be the same?

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #52 of 59
There is only one type of 250 Ω DT880 driver here for all versions, with a part number of 963773. The only difference is that the other impedances are not available for the Pro model. It also makes sense from a cost saving point of view not to have two different versions of 250 Ω drivers.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #53 of 59
I still think my DT770 sounds remarkably similar to my DT880.  The former has more bass extension and a 4-5dB boost around 100-200hz and lower and slightly peaky-er treble.  Dare I say the DT770 sounds more balanced on many recordings because it's warmer and not nearly as thin sounding as the cold and cool DT880 on bright recordings. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #54 of 59
Throw away your expectation bias, price difference and disregard sexy looks.  There's a reason why the MDR-V6 / 7506 are considered accurate monitors by millions of engineers. I HAVE owned both for about 6 months or so (still own the DT880), and indeed they do sound very close aside from the obvious differences (bass extension / 2-5khz / high extension / soundstage), most which are subtle differences to most people in practical terms.  In fact, when my DT880 does crap out at some point, I'm probably going to go the V6 route to save myself some $$$ and not have to worry about babying a $300 headphone and replacing the pads at $40 bucks a pop.

May 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #55 of 59
I just recently sold my 770s (80ohm) as I had to get a smaller headphone for portable (went V-Moda M-80). Loved the 770s quite a bit, felt they did many things quite well. I actually found the treble a little sweeter than my 880s (600ohm), however not as capable of the fineest detail portrayl. I rarely compared them directly on my home system, but the 770s and 880s should sound similar, but the extra bass energy and closer-in sound stage of the 770s would make them sound different enough (which can be good of course) from the 880s. The few times I used the 770s on my home system I was always surprised at just how good they really sounded. I am just now getting ready to sell my 880s and 650s to help fund the purchase of some D7000s as I have a desire to try the Denon/Fostex sound. Catharsis, I see you have the D7000, what are your thoughts on it? I love the sound signature of the 880 quite a bit and I wonder if the 7000 will end up not really impressing me? I listen to a great deal of electronic music lately, but plenty of well recorded material as well (i.e. Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Genesis etc).

Cheers

May 18, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:
I see you have the D7000, what are your thoughts on it? I love the sound signature of the 880 quite a bit and I wonder if the 7000 will end up not really impressing me? I listen to a great deal of electronic music lately, but plenty of well recorded material as well (i.e. Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Genesis etc).

You're in for a real treat, a real treat...

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #57 of 59

Honestly, I have personally heard all 3, owned a DT990 Pro and currently have a DT880 600, too, and sincerely, DT770/DT880/DT990 sound nothing alike, low volume or high.

Those graphs don't tell the whole story.

It is rolled off relative to the DT990, which I think has the most treble of the trio. I think it's also fair to say that the DT770 does't have rolled off treble but rather that the DT990 has way too much treble emphasis.

Do you prefer the DT 880s over the other two? because I am getting some today and already have the DT 990s the 250ohm version paired with the CDAC+ and Vali hybrid amp. I am also getting the Fournier HTA2 amp with them so we will see how it runs.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #59 of 59
  Yeah, I do prefer the DT880 over the other two.

It is more balanced overall, and it presents vocal better than the other headphones.

I actually understand why, I am trying to stop listening to it, I put the 990s two days ago and there is definitely similarities there, but there is also a lot of differences some subtle others not so much. I think the DT 990s are a great headphone and fun tbh, but I am very surprised with how much I like the neutrality of the 880s along with it being more natural feeling. And thought the 990s are more open they feel more close and or less clear at the same time. From the bass being more controlled and and better refined I believe that is what I am hearing. While keeping some of that detailed brightness with out it being overly harsh with some tracks. Mids are more pronounced which since I love vocals and strings this was what did it for me. I am actually trying to trade the DT990 pro and the DT880 pro for a 600 ohm 880 premium, or sell the DT 990 and save up for HP200. I have the HD600 a friend sent on it's way... I am looking forward to the comparing and mostly to try a sennheiser that is not the HD595 being the only one I have had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back