Beyerdynamic DT-880, but closed?
Aug 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #31 of 59
While you are totally right that our ears and brain are no where as sensitive as a high end mic setup there is PLENTY of things you cannot even wish to record. Beside, the limited ability of our useless brain won't form an accurate impression from graphs and numbers (or fancy words that doesn't mean anything on the non scientific spectrum). Therefore we strive for comparison from what we experienced already, it is a lot easier to relate something that you have first hand experience with to something similar.

Trying to record a pair of headphone with different setup will yield different result. Amping does affect the sound of a pair of headphones, even more so with a tube amp.

Expecting human to collect data without their needed tool is even more stupid. If you still think graphs tell you everything, you are missing out on the more human side of things in this hobby. Everyone hears differently, thanks to non perfect human body and mind.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #32 of 59
I agree that everyone hears differently.  But to say headphone x has more bass than headphone y when repeated test runs using (properly functioning) dummy heads and microphones suggest otherwise is an exercise in futility.  Psychoacoustics will always come in to play, as will the effects of different dacs, amps etc (the latter of which are measurable).  But to say x headphone has scopped mids, excessive midbass etc versus another headphone when the data is there to suggest quite the opposite should make one question whether their perception (or memory of previous perceptions) is misleading them.  We're susceptible to the effects of optical illusions - same thing can happen with our ears. 

I agree that in the end, it is about enjoying the music, it's just sometimes I feel like there are those who preach that the world is flat because it looks that way.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #33 of 59
Sorry, just found this thread.  I've been looking for the same thing (something that sounds like the DT880s but closed, from any manufacturer).  Reticon, did you receive your t70s?  What did you think?

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:
Shure SRH940 is very similar, with just a smidgen less treble and a slightly less natural bass (emphasis on smidgen and slightly).
AKG K550 is also quite similar, but also with less emphasized treble.

Naturally, neither of these have the soundstage of the DT880

Among DT770, DT880 and DT990, which one has a similar sound stage like in AKG K550 or even larger but has heavier deep bass?

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #35 of 59
Among DT770, DT880 and DT990, which one has a similar sound stage like in AKG K550 or even larger but has heavier deep bass?

The DT770 has great soundstage for a closed headphone but not as spacious as the AKG K550. It does have heavier deep bass though.

As for the DT880 and DT990, they are both open and their soundstages are better than the AKG K550. They are also both better extended in the bass than the AKG K550 but not hugely so. The DT880 is neutral-sounding and the DT990 is fun sounding, they both have very well extended sub-bass. They are both superior to the K550 but that is simply because they are open.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #36 of 59
The DT770 has great soundstage for a closed headphone but not as spacious as the AKG K550. It does have heavier deep bass though.
As for the DT880 and DT990, they are both open and their soundstages are better than the AKG K550. They are also both better extended in the bass than the AKG K550 but not hugely so. The DT880 is neutral-sounding and the DT990 is fun sounding, they both have very well extended sub-bass. They are both superior to the K550 but that is simply because they are open.

If I want a very good, clear and detail vocal/instrument separation and the largest sound stage, should I choose DT880?

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:
If I want a very good, clear and detail vocal/instrument separation and the largest sound stage, should I choose DT880?

As much as I love the DT880, the DT990 beats it hands down on size of soundstage - but to me is quite U shaped (bass and treble emphasis).

If you're looking for an open can with soundstage and clarity emphasis on vocals, I'd recommend K701/K702/Q701 or Senn HD598. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

As much as I love the DT880, the DT990 beats it hands down on size of soundstage - but to me is quite U shaped (bass and treble emphasis).

If you're looking for an open can with soundstage and clarity emphasis on vocals, I'd recommend K701/K702/Q701 or Senn HD598. 

In your opinion, you feel DT990 has a wider sound stage than DT800 but loosing out the mids? What about the vocal/instrument separation between them?

In other hand AKG K550 or K702 is lack of  bass.

I want the sound signature like in  AKG K550 or K702 but with slightly  heavier bass (deep extended).

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #39 of 59
Yes - I felt the DT990 had more recession in the mid range than the DT880 ...... but maybe that was more because of the emphasis both high and low.

Somewhere along the line you have to make a trade off. Perhaps consider an HD600. It has a slight mid-bass bump, brilliant (natural) mid-range, and nice sparkle without being prominent. it won't have the same top end as the AKGs - but what is there is very natural. Soundstage is realistic without being too huge, and the imaging is extremely good.

Otherwise DT880 paired with an amp that accentuates the mid-range (I love mine with my LD MKIV).

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:
In your opinion, you feel DT990 has a wider sound stage than DT800 but loosing out the mids? What about the vocal/instrument separation between them?

In other hand AKG K550 or K702 is lack of  bass.

I want the sound signature like in  AKG K550 or K702 but with slightly  heavier bass (deep extended).

get the srh940 and never look back

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #43 of 59
Sound stage and vocal/instrument separation to the DT880. Mid range to the SRH940. DT880's bass is far better (more believable IMO) - the SRH940 has a weird dip in the mid-bass, and sounds (for want of a better word) wonky (to me anyway).

DT880 far more comfortable.

DT880 has far better build quality. A lot of SRH940's cracking at the hinges lately. Complete opposite of the SRH840 which is built like a tank.

And I did own both - sold the SRH940 with no regrets.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #44 of 59
about comfort, i think the beyer takes a slight edge. on sound in every persepctive the shure wins hands down.

I notice your profile shows you 'demoed' the DT880. How much time did you spend with them, and which amp. Curious - because I owned both the SRH940 and (still own) the DT880, and the only thing the SRH940 does better IMO is the mid-range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back